PDA

View Full Version : different colour eggs? location issues?

grantbudd74
02-02-2010, 12:15 AM
hey everyone, been a long time away. Anyway I bought a pair of leopards and they spawned several times (3-4) in the shop but never got to full wriggler stage due to other fish in tank.

I have had them for 1 week and this is their second spawn currently day 2 I think? Anyway I have a few questions for you all:

tank they are in is a 200L, Ph 6.6 temp 27C GH 60-70 with an intake at one corner and the outlet at other end in back corner. The story goes like this:

Pump: eheim pro series not sure on model but its for a 400L I think?
Tank: Jebo 3100KG with light unit and separate overhead filter both units in place no power head or sponges

outlet water goes into pump then into overhead filter consisting of filter foam etc and then falls into tank. I have 2 air stones under outlet water.

Eggs: On intake tube! second spawn and same spawn site.

what would you do? I have a second intake tube waiting to re-connect but don't want to create noise or disturb this pair? Would you reconnect? I have NO sponge filter over intake! Well I did and its black.

Also I have 3 different egg colors: White Eggs = dead? Clear Eggs=fertilised but new and Brown Eggs = second day old?

Am I right? Is this 2 spawns? The parents are paying a lot of attention and doing a good job I think?

What about the white eggs? Will these infect the others as they decompose?

What would you do? I don't have lots of spare tanks, I also have a lot of driftwood for the spawning as they spawned in the shop on wood so I put in extra to keep them happy. SO they use the intake tube which is right next to the heater.

Please help

Thanks :-) I have been trying to get breeding fish for years and soooo much to learn.

rickztahone
02-02-2010, 02:58 AM
your filtration might be a problem. if you have to keep the eheim pro then you will definitely need a pre-filter and black wouldn't be my first choice due to the fact that the fry will try attaching to that rather than the parents. the best bet would be using sponge filters in breeding tanks because they do not cause as much disturbance and can not kill the fry. i am no breeder but these are just some of the few things i've picked up from reading here on SD

grantbudd74
02-02-2010, 06:13 AM
I am going to re-locate the intake and wrap white filter wool around it to solve the black issue not to mention seeing the fry going up, up and away into the pro filter!

When you say Pre-filter? What is that and how does it attach? I guess the pro is the pre filter due to the outlet going into the overhead filter which sits on the top of the tank.

I guess looking at the egg colour I am not blessed with lots of time before the wrigglers come out and play? Do I need to slow the flow of the water (outlet) down?

I have since pulled out all the driftwood and although the fish were a bit disturbed they seem to be attending to the eggs.

Thanks for your help and please feel free to post your thoughts

:)

mmorris
02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Are the pair in a community tank? Is this a planted tank? If your answer to either question is yes, then, if you want to raise fry, I recommend you move them to their own bb tank. I know you don't have a lot of tanks, but if you are fortunate to get fry, do you have a spare 55 gal. to raise them in? The wood may make it more challanging for the fry to find their parents.

grantbudd74
02-02-2010, 06:27 PM
the tank is bare bottom and they are the only fish in it. I took out all the driftwood yesterday after reading about the fry finding the parents. I also disconnected the intake tube with the eggs on and connected a new one at the other end of the aquarium. The strainer on the new intake I wrapped in white filter wool.

Should I look at getting some kind of glass divider or If/When I get fry should I drop the water level by half ish? I hear that less volume of water is better for fry to find parents.

With water movement is it still ok to turn down the air stones to almost nothing? I did this in my main tank 6x2x2 discus, cardinal tetras x 16 BN's x 11 and Corry's x 16 to wake up the next morning to find all 7 of my discus gasping at the surface. I have only a handful of swords in the tank 4 actually of medium size.

The fish came from a tank in the shop with water movement similar in setup to my current one.

Am I in trouble with a 200l tank? I have a 70L but that is for water changing in both my main tank and the breeding tank.

Cant do massive water changes here in Australia due to drought :-)

Thx again

grantbudd74
02-03-2010, 07:28 AM
just giving you an update from this morning. all eggs were getting fungus and white and a few were dark. Anyway they ate them.

I do not know exactly the whole egg/sperm thing but does anyone think that the eggs just above the intake strainer with no filter wool or sponge filter over it would prevent the sperm/milk/milt whatever you call it from fertilising the eggs?

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts on my setup?

mmorris
02-03-2010, 03:35 PM
does anyone think that the eggs just above the intake strainer with no filter wool or sponge filter over it would prevent the sperm/milk/milt whatever you call it from fertilising the eggs?

Could do.