PDA

View Full Version : Kh raising fast - ph unchanged (amquel+)

Lauren
02-02-2010, 10:03 PM
So here's the deal. I've been aquasqaping my 55 with Tahitian moon sand. So all inhabitants (shrimp) were moved.
My tap ph is 7.8 kh is less than 1
degassing brings it to 6.0 usually max 6.2
I try to keep the tank at 6.4-6.6

both tanks have the same things (Tahitian moon sand, sponge filters, 2tbsp crushed coral added at the same time)in them except the 6.6 has a ton of plants the 55 has none.

I added amquel+ for the first time after adding water to te 55 and kh was less than 1 within 2 days it was 3dkh and 24 hours later 10dkh
ph has remained at 7.0
the 6.6gal is still 6.4 ph and under 1kh

the only thing added to the 55 to cause this is amquel+ has anyone else seen something like this? Should I worry about the ph rising (I have blue tiger shrimp in the mail as we speak!!)or is this a false reading?

both tanks have
all API drop test kits

David Rose
02-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I've not seen anything like this, but it has always been my understanding that kH is the buffering component to pH. The higher the kH, the more difficult it is to change your pH. As long as it stabilizes and doesn't change suddenly, you should be fine. With that I would be careful not to do large water changes until the Amquel is removed through a series of smaller water changes.

David Rose
02-02-2010, 10:19 PM
PS: it will be interesting to hear of the update to see if your kH returns to normal. Have you tested your source water (pre-Amquel) to see if your local municipal water has changed for some reason?

Lauren
02-02-2010, 10:32 PM
PS: it will be interesting to hear of the update to see if your kH returns to normal. Have you tested your source water (pre-Amquel) to see if your local municipal water has changed for some reason?

David, youre going to laugh at me.

I always test kh before a water change because it is so low. Do not want te city to kill my shrimp(or my stupidity). Regardless, I just tested again and tap is still under 1.

I was sitting there scratching my head. So I tested the tank again and it was 2dkh(the 10dkh was right when I posted original message) so I assume something non visible to the naked eye got in th test tube just to freak me out((if such alkaline microscopic things could ever think in such a way))

whew!! I'm very relieved now.

David Rose
02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
That is definitely a relief...LOL!

Lauren
02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
That is definitely a relief...LOL!

Indeed, I'd much rather be laughed at (and laughing at myself)for having a false reading then to have messed up water! :)