PDA

View Full Version : Disease Questionnaire

Lessard11
02-03-2010, 12:36 AM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Ok, Looks like white mucus spots/stripes on the sides of 3 out of 7. They came in heathly and declined rather quickly. Still eating well and acting somewhat ok but not as social.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Then turn a little dark but once the light s are on for 30 mins or so, they look pretty good. Yes, excess slime and a little darting in 1 fish. Poops are fine. 1 guy keeps wiggling his tail quickly. Fins are a little banged up.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Aquarium salt

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

72 gallon bow
5 years old
11 fish

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Gravel bottom/tanks been running for 5yrs but i added a new filter and a substrate 2 weeks before adding any discus

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __83___

- ph __6.5___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0__

- well water __no, city water and I add stress coat water conditioner__

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

yes, most of the discus are new over the last 3-4 weeks

Eddie
02-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Were there discus in the tank before or any fish at all? What other fish do you have besides the discus?

Also, you didn't mention your water changes. Do you perform any and what is the schedule? Do you age your water or go straight tap?

Eddie

Lessard11
02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I have 3 clown loaches that mind themselves, a pleco, and a silver dollar. The only reason I still have the silver dollar is that he has been in my tank for the 5 years and my wife loves him. Pick and choose your battles, right. I use tap water and perform weekly water changes. The past week has been almost everyday due to their condition. I posted a pic of it in this section under "what is this" if you want to see what it looks like. Any suggestions??

Eddie
02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Excess slime is due to some external irritant. It can come from water or external parasite/bacteria. I can't recommend an external parasite treatment, since loaches and some plecos can be sensitive to most chemicals. Salt can also bother these type of fish. I generally like to treat for external parasite before going with an antibiotic but in your case, given the tankmates and tank environment (gravel)...I'd pick up some Furan-2. Use Furan-2 as recommended on the box, but keep the tank lights off during treatment. This should fix them up.

What your fish seem to have is generally called "New Discus Disease" ;)

Take care,

Eddie

Lessard11
02-03-2010, 11:20 PM
You ROCK Eddie!! They actually look a million times better tonight and I've done nothing other than the salt and water changes. I'll buy that stuff and wait a little bit. I hope to not even use it.

Eddie
02-04-2010, 05:17 AM
You ROCK Eddie!! They actually look a million times better tonight and I've done nothing other than the salt and water changes. I'll buy that stuff and wait a little bit. I hope to not even use it.

Sounds good! Keep us updated!

Eddie