PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Qustions

neon
02-03-2010, 02:32 AM
I have a 55gal tank. With 6 discus and 21 neon's. I have drift wood when I first put it in the tank it gave the water yellow tint which I liked but it is not doing that anymore. So I was looking at pet shop and found black water expert by Kent which will tint the water. Has anyone ever used this if so what were the results?

Also has anyone used any of the following? Discus essential by Kent, Discus buffer by seachem, instant amazon, blackwater extract by tetra, amazon rain by tropical science. If so what were the results? :fish:

Eddie
02-03-2010, 05:37 AM
There are few options, like using peat in a bag in your filter. You can add Indian Almond Leaves which also tint the water. Alot of the products out there are quite expensive and if you are doing frequent water changes, the stuff will just go to waste. Although, I did order a few bottles of Brightwell's Blackwater Conditioner, to see how it does. Each 500ml container treats 2000 gallons so that is the best bang for your buck as far as instant amazon goes. I only want to try a bit for my Wild Crosses, as they LOVE tinted water. I'll let you know how it fairs but look around and you'll see that some bottles will barely treat 100 gallons. This stuff from Brightwell is pretty concentrated.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4326/product.web

Take care,

Eddie

Scribbles
02-03-2010, 06:35 AM
I have used peat which tinted the water but it will also alter your PH. So keep this in mind. I have also used Seachem Discus Buffer which lowers the PH but does not tint the water. HTH

Chris