PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Wild versus Domestic Discus

gwrace
02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
All

I just recently joined simplydiscus and in my research had a question that I hoped some of you experienced discuss keepers could answer.

Some general background on me....
I've kept tropical fish for many years and currently have several well established tanks setup. I try to purchase domestically bred fish raised in similar water conditions to what exist in south central Texas. This method has resulted in a very low casualty rate with most fish living to a ripe old age.

I'd like to add 5-6 discuss to an existing 75 gallon tank. In researching online and retail sellers it seems a lot of people have no problems buying imported or wild caught fish. I've also noticed a lot of debate on this subject.

Would you all have any general recommendations or guidelines. I really do not plan to breed them. This purchase would be a mixed color assortment.

Thanks!

brewmaster15
02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi and welcome to Simplydiscus!:)

Generally I think its best Hobbyists start with domestic raised fish verses wilds....kind of like learning to walk before you run... You may want to see if anyone on the forum is breeding and lives in your area..we do have a bunch of Texans on the site.:):):)

make a post here....

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=64490

meeting up with some experienced locals can save you alot of headaches!
hth,
al

gwrace
02-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Thank you. I added a post to the Texas forum.

darbex
02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
In my oppinion its up to you. I have had my troubles to start with on both domestic and wilds. I have recently found my stride and have all wilds and I love them but I could easily go with some domestics I just like the natural look of the wilds. In Houston HAW (Houston Aquarium Warehouse) aka GCD (Gulf Coast Discus) has an excellent selection of discus and has great prices. This is where I get 90% of my fish needs. I have recently ordered 2 wild greens from Snookn21 and they have been great but he is out of Ft Meyers.

gwrace
02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I guess I'm just surprised at how much the shipping costs have gone up. I ordered in three batches of fish a little over a year ago via aquabid and the average shipping cost was around 25-35 dollars. I'm now getting quotes of $100 plus for a small order of fish shipped to Texas.

I guess I may have to find a LFS source in Austin. Anyone know of any local suppliers that sell quality discus?

philip69285
02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
You can easily spend 70-100 dollars on shipping for discus... depending on the supplier. I have ordered some wilds from Snookn21... havent gotten them yet but I have heard great things about him and his shipping was about $40 for 3 wilds which isn't bad and Im in NM. I think there is a sponser here on the forum from TX... forgot who but Im sure youll find him :). He sells both wilds and domestics sometimes :).

gwrace
02-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Thank you. I look him up and send him a quote request.

philip69285
02-03-2010, 10:45 PM
You are more then welcome and his prices are really really good for the quality he has :). Im sure it will be around 40 bucks for a quote :). Its best to send him an email or call him as he is a very busy guy LOL and he doesnt get on here much. Especially if you see a wild you really want :). I almost missed out on my blue face LOL.

terps
02-04-2010, 10:02 AM
All

I just recently joined simplydiscus and in my research had a question that I hoped some of you experienced discuss keepers could answer.

Some general background on me....
I've kept tropical fish for many years and currently have several well established tanks setup. I try to purchase domestically bred fish raised in similar water conditions to what exist in south central Texas. This method has resulted in a very low casualty rate with most fish living to a ripe old age.

I'd like to add 5-6 discuss to an existing 75 gallon tank. In researching online and retail sellers it seems a lot of people have no problems buying imported or wild caught fish. I've also noticed a lot of debate on this subject.

Would you all have any general recommendations or guidelines. I really do not plan to breed them. This purchase would be a mixed color assortment.

Thanks!

Stendker in Germany says wild discus should be avoided.

" Stendker against Wild Catch Discus:

Wild discus often have problems with tapeworms and hexamita, so that the fish hardly eat and do not grow. Wild discus suffer under lots of parasites that leads to a bad presentation of the fishes in the aquariums "

http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/316,0,basic-information,index,0.html

Larry Bugg
02-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Stendker in Germany says wild discus should be avoided.

" Stendker against Wild Catch Discus:

Wild discus often have problems with tapeworms and hexamita, so that the fish hardly eat and do not grow. Wild discus suffer under lots of parasites that leads to a bad presentation of the fishes in the aquariums "

http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/316,0,basic-information,index,0.html

Stendker does have some excellent fish but geez they are saying you should only buy from Stendker, it is part of their advertising.

Even our US supplier of Stendker is now selling Wild discus.

Jhhnn
02-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Not to disparage wild fish, but I've avoided them so far, and that's not for lack of appreciation of their beauty.

Somewhere in my head, I think that wilds are best left to highly experienced keepers. Quite why, I'm not sure.

It's impossible to tell the age of adult wilds, and it's also impossible to tell just where they've been and what they've been exposed to on their way to a hobbyist, in their native environment or in the care of middlemen involved in their importation.

It's a little different wrt domestics coming from a trusted source, like our sponsors...

gwrace
02-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks all for the follow-up posts. After quite a bit of research I decided to purchase 6 small Stendker discus from Hans. This was a mixed lot for a show tank. They should arrive early next week.

He mentioned they are expecting a lot of snow so he was not sure how weather might impact the shipment date with Fed EX.

With all the rave reviews of his fish I hope to receive some nice looking healthy discus.