PDA

View Full Version : identify please

dbfzurowski
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
would this be brown discus?
age unknown, time in my possession 3 months, got him at 3" hes little over 4" TL

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/my%20fish/100B0670.jpg

Cooldadddyfunk286
02-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I think its safe to say that IS a brown (I THINK). I really really like that Discus, LOVE the blue face!...all the best with him/her!! :D:D

take care.

dbfzurowski
02-03-2010, 02:26 PM
thanks a lot, i like him too. he's grown some since i got him but his eyes look bit to big for his head or is it just me?
i just hope i can grow him out some more :D

kaceyo
02-03-2010, 06:37 PM
He's a nice looking fish. The eyes are a bit large but that doesn't mean you can't get him to a good size. Clean water is key. keep up on the wc's and feed well.

Kacey

Eddie
02-03-2010, 07:01 PM
I dont think its a brown, its got too much of a solid blue sheen in the face. Almost like a golden butterfly throwback.

Eddie

dbfzurowski
02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
The face is what got me confused in the first place, but i've been reading a little and some say that domesticated browns develop more color on their head. I'm new so i figured i'd ask the experts:)

Eddie
02-03-2010, 07:32 PM
The face is what got me confused in the first place, but i've been reading a little and some say that domesticated browns develop more color on their head. I'm new so i figured i'd ask the experts:)

They do develop more color in the head and face but it is the form of striating line, not a solid sheen. If you look at a Red Cover or some Golden Butterfly, they develop a blue sheen in the face that is solid.

Eddie

dbfzurowski
02-04-2010, 01:36 AM
I dont think its a brown, its got too much of a solid blue sheen in the face. Almost like a golden butterfly throwback.

Eddie

hey what does "throwback" mean? unsuccessful cross?

rickztahone
02-04-2010, 02:48 AM
hey what does "throwback" mean? unsuccessful cross?

not necessarily unsuccessful but it is a by-product of achieving new strains. throwbacks are born in the mix and sold for a bit cheaper, but that does not mean that they are not good, just not something the breeder did not need at the time for his/her breeding program. at least that is my understanding of such things. i have a cross myself and it is one of my favorite fish. Eddie is right on about the blue sheen however, the browns tend to show striations rather than a solid blue sheen like yours is showing. it is really difficult to tell what it is and it might be best to load a picture a few months down the line. whatever it might be it has some potential.

dbfzurowski
02-04-2010, 03:04 PM
yea i only paid $10 for a it @ 3". i really like him so i think its money well spend. I've been reading about breeding a little, so if i was to pair this one with something would the fry be like him/her or would some be whatever his parents were?