PDA

View Full Version : Why are discus so expensive ?

2funkids
02-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi, just need a little help understanding how and why these fish are so costly, I know your lfs has the biggest overhead and only stocking what sells the most, so they look to buy stock for pennies on the dollar, then you have the hobbiest who for the passion of the hobbie can sometimes over doit and will try to sell some stock and try to make back what they spent on the fish when they purchased it, then you have the importers who try to pre-sale and move as many fish as they can so they can get better price and intern make even more profit, then you have local breeders whom only sale what thier breeding pair produce, so with that said, why is a 3" fish selling for 65.00 in a lfs and a breeder and importer asking the same ? so expencive no matter whom you buy from ? Someone has to draw the line here ! It's just not fun and a littel discouraging when your just starting out.

rickztahone
02-04-2010, 02:46 PM
that was one long sentence.

the reason they are so expensive at the LFS is because they are greedy and try to make as much of a buck as possible on mediocre (at best) discus. if you check out our sponsor section (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42) you can find way better quality than any lfs and i personally recommend Kenny Cheung (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119), he has some cheap discus in smaller sizes which are top notch. you can usually find blue diamonds for around 20 bucks each at around 3" or so. stay away from lfs and read as much as you can here on SD, and welcome

moik
02-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Never seen a discus worth me buying at a LFS,even at a super super savings sale at the LFS..It takes me to look at LFS discus,no matter how big the selection all about 10 seconds..I just take a quick look at the fish and prices,,and that enough for me....Poor quality and prices to scare anyone away..I have a pretty firm grasp on discus wholesale pricing and shipping cost figured in.....Pricing could mostly be reflective of the area's current market and LFS owner's profit margin..I choose to stay/buy with the sponsors here at Simply...

2funkids
02-04-2010, 03:01 PM
ok, your right about the lfs, but have you seen some of the prices some of the sponcers on sd are asking ? I've seen as mush as 265.00 for a 5" fish that looks just like any other red melon also 200.00 for a 6" lelt over and the seller is just trying to
make some room for better new stock ? "COME ON MAN" !!!

moik
02-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Sounds to me that you should be looking at other types of fish besides discus...In the world of discus,there are endless variety of strains which all come with different price tags..Then you put quality/health and size into the equasion and you make your decision from there..If the price tags are too rich for your blood then you have to evaluate everything for yourself..There is enough options out there to make your mind up..

2funkids
02-04-2010, 04:04 PM
So what your saying is that you've eccepted that fact that a seller of quality discus is charging you 100.00 for a fish that only cost him 20.00 and your taking all the risk because if you spend say 500.00 on fish that was just starved for three days then ploped in a bag with about 5 to 20 other fish depending on size and shipped from over seas regardless of weather conditions and you don't realy know what long term effects this may have on the fish and that price tag is justified ? and the local breeders are no different you'de think they would be more affordable but they want the same the importers want. so are quality sellers any different then your lfs. yes you maybe getting a better discus but thats all they deal with so quality is the only way they can stay in business but at what price ?

roclement
02-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't know were you are coming from...obviously you don't want to understand the trade as much as you want to be critical about it.

LFS usually buy "pet" quality fish from wholesalers, transhippers, or importers, they pay cheap and try to sell for the same price as a good quality fish would cost from a breeder because they think that the market will bear that price...if someone pays for it great!

As others have pointed out, there are less expensive fish to be had from reputable importers/breeders in this site. You can buy high quality fish at 2.5inch size for less than $40, many strains, if you take the time to browse the sponsors.

A 5 inch fish that is considered desirable or "AA" grade is worth considerably more because discus are slow growing, low yeld breeders. Let me explain...while a guppy has a brood of hundreds of fry every week, Discus breed maybe once a month, if you are lucky, and a usual clutch can be as little as 20 fish or as high as 100...if you are lucky...out of those, a lot die, a lot are culls, and a lot are just not "show" grade fish so, by the time you have a 5 inch fish, close to breeding age, of high quality, it can be worth some money!!! Even if it is a "left over" from a previos shipment.

On the other hand, if you choose to do som eresearch you will find high quality fish from importers like Hans that has specials from time to time, like adult, grad A fish, for $150!

All you have to do is search a bit.

Rodrigo

hedut
02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
So what your saying is that you've eccepted that fact that a seller of quality discus is charging you 100.00 for a fish that only cost him 20.00 and your taking all the risk because if you spend say 500.00 on fish that was just starved for three days then ploped in a bag with about 5 to 20 other fish depending on size and shipped from over seas regardless of weather conditions and you don't realy know what long term effects this may have on the fish and that price tag is justified ? and the local breeders are no different you'de think they would be more affordable but they want the same the importers want. so are quality sellers any different then your lfs. yes you maybe getting a better discus but thats all they deal with so quality is the only way they can stay in business but at what price ?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Dude there no price for hobby the only thing is, is the price that you pay could make you happy? if don't so don't buy. not only discus some fish could be more and more expensive that you can ever think. I think discus are fragile so that's why expensive. people can put what ever price is but for local breeder they just looking some extra cash for next new fish or some maintenance.

Spardas
02-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Only thing I have to say is do more research please! Don't base your arguments on baseless assumptions and dig around for more information first before you even try to come to any sort of conclusion.

discushans
02-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Not expensive if you start off with juvies. Only expensive if you are buying pairs. Same thing with other fish in this hobby

Steve Rybicki
02-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Let me explain...while a guppy has a brood of hundreds of fry every week, Discus breed maybe once a month, if you are lucky, and a usual clutch can be as little as 20 fish or as high as 100...if you are lucky...out of those, a lot die, a lot are culls, and a lot are just not "show" grade fish so, by the time you have a 5 inch fish, close to breeding age, of high quality, it can be worth some money!!! Even if it is a "left over" from a previos shipment.
Rodrigo

Rodrigo, your intentions are correct, but your analogy is off. Guppies drop fry once every 30 days at 80 degrees. Average drops are around 40-50 fish. If you're comparing show stock guppies to show stock discus, price is similar and culls are just as plentiful - even more so in my experience. Good female guppies have a short breeding life and males have an even shorter one. A good discus pair can lay eggs every 4-7 days with hatchouts exceeding 100. If you develop an artificial rearing procedure, you can produce enormous numbers of fry from a single pair in a very short time frame.

The real difficulty with discus is they require much more space, and are not as reliable. Pairs can fight and not cooperate when spawning (guppies always cooperate, even though they may attempt to eat the fry). Discus can be notorious egg/fry eaters and they don't start breeding until at least 8 months old. Guppies are usually dropping by 3-4 months.

The reason discus are so expensive is a simple supply and demand situation. There are not many breeders in the U.S. They are not producing anywhere near the demand for particular strains. Imported fish come with lot's of expensive and risk that have to be covered. The transhipper has to house them, treat any problems, absorb any losses due to carrier negligence and give some kind of guarantee to the buyer. This stuff costs more than people think.

To the OP: If there is an enormous profit being made, the solution is simple. Build a hatchery, breed the fish by the thousands, undercut everyone's price and sit back, get rich, and retire young! Somehow, I don't think that's going to happen. Many have tried and most have seen that there is more money to be made, and easier money, by buying and reselling. There are actually a good number of resellers competing in this small market and I think prices are already quite competitive. When you see a particularly high price on an individual fish, it's usually because the supply of that quality of fish is very low. The best of anything always commands much higher than average prices. I have sold single angelfish for over $500 a piece. Nobody considers that I had twenty years of intensive breeding to come up with a few unique fish. Many would think I overcharged. I felt I was grossly underpaid for my effort, but that's the market for you.

DonMD
02-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Why are discus so expensive?

They are the largest, most beautiful and gratifying fresh water tropical fish. The interact with their owners. They have personalities. And, did I mention, they are truly beautiful?

As for expensive, I suggest pricing koi . . . that should make you think again about the cost of discus.

Just my 2 cents.:)

Harriett
02-04-2010, 05:52 PM
2FUNKIDS,
Here is how I see your thread: 1. Why do these fish cost so much and 2. How can I be in this hobby if they cost so much?

#1: There is always the 'what the market will bear" issue and it occurs here as in any other commodity.
New glitzy products costs more initially, prices change as the market becomes more flooded with the new prize, so if you have your heart set on a currently expensive strain, eventually it likely will be more moderately priced. Older, stable strains often cost significantly less than new strains, and are more hardy and forgiving of a newbies learning curve.
Your disdain regarding the price of adult fish may be tempered if you consider that to get a discus from baby to adult, it will take a year. In that year, if you know what you are doing to get the best potential out of the discus, you will be doing massive water changes every day or other day, you will be feeding expensive high protein meaty foods 4-8 x day, paying for water and electricity and meds and water conditioners.
you will have an outlay of equipement to light, filtration, heat. Someone recently broke it down and the overhead alone makes this on a fish by fish basis, pretty expensive--maybe $50-75.00 / fish, conservatively. If someone else not only does the outlay of cash, but spends a year working on the discus to get it to this size and health, and from primo stock which were expensive, they are going to want a reasonable return--this you will better understand if you choose to get into the hobby.
There is a fairly deep learning curve to be able to keep dsicus successfully, breeding aside, that takes a couple years, a few potentially expensive mistakes, and a lot of work. Expertise is worth something here.
Buying cheaper versions of the product you are interested in usually results in a poorer product [car or lawnmower or, discus!] and more headaches. After learning the hard way, you will hear a lot of folks vouching for certain sellers/breeders, whose prices may or may not be higher than some in the business will offer. BUt there is insurance in working with reputable sellers for fish and who back their businesses up with superb service and help when needed--they move the industry but they also help us all prosper in our hobby. MANY sellers do not do that, trust me. For the folks selling, I gotta tell you, it is hard to make a killing, though discus are pricey. --most make a modest income only from selling or breeding--they love discus, enjoy interacting with hobbyists, etc etc.
Generally what you pay for is what you get in that department--you could get a great deal on a cheap fish, but often they turn out to have poor health or endurance, or poor form or physical attributes when they age. So, after learning our chops on cheap discus, we usually go for the better quality and skip the headaches and heartaches.

#2: For me, it's always been about how do I get high quality discus for reasonable prices? I simply am not in the financial bracket to do it any other way. Never have been. But I love discus!! So here is how I have a lovely collection of discus that I enjoy tremendously: I buy as much equipment second hand as possible. I build tank cabinets and canopies myself when needed. I ask family or friends to wire up gizmos that are over my head. I look at the local fish club and craigslist ads if I need something. I initially bought [cheap] healthy local hobbyist raised juvenile fish. When I had a handle on what I was doing, I began to buy better quality juvenile fish. Youngsters are far cheaper than sub adults and adults and offer a world of experience to master. I have never purchased a discus over 3" in the 10 years I have been doing discus. I now try to buy 4-6 week old babies to raise myself, which cost less than 3" juvies, because my taste now runs too expensive for juvenile fish!
I make or buy discus food in bulk. If I buy frozen bloodworms, I order them by the case [25#]locally from a guy and he eats the shipping and charges me a little extra per pound. I get together with a friend to make beefheart for a few months at a time, we get what we need, and we sell the rest which pays for our own supply....and so on.
Shipping is EXPENSIVE. If I am going to buy shipped fish, I always contact other hobbyists in my area--I can usually get a couple folks to go in on an order, we break shipping costs into 1/2 or 1/3 per person, and that I can afford. I still try to buy locally if someone has something I want here. I often sell lesser favorite discus or plant offspring/cuttings from my planted tanks, and for a few years raised dwarf African cichlids in a 75 [which take little work and no brains--just flake food and a net and some fish in water and they breed] and sold locally which paid for a fair number of aquariums and some discus!

OK, enough from me, best of luck to you! I hope this helps.
Harriett

Eddie
02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I like Lamborghinis, not Hyundais.

Harriett
02-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Yay, Eddie! LMAO. MEEEEE TOOOOOO.
Harriett

hedut
02-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I like Reds so Ferrari :):p:p:p:p

Eddie
02-04-2010, 06:17 PM
I like Reds so Ferrari :):p:p:p:p

Here you go Hendri....they come in red also. :D

http://dealerrevs.com/pictures/2466754.jpg

phat nguyen
02-04-2010, 06:20 PM
WHY ARE DISCUS SO EXPENSIVE ? ? ?
Consider all these costs involving this hobby....
This is bases on my monthly bills on about 50 Discus and 4 tanks
* Live Food $150/month.
* tetra bits/flake $25/month.
*Water/electricity $250/month.
*water conditioner $10/month.
* Medicine $10/month.
Your time changing the water, taking care of your fishes.... PRICELESS....

Just my 2 cents,
Perry Nguyen :angel: :angel: :angel:

hedut
02-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Here you go Hendri....they come in red also. :D

http://dealerrevs.com/pictures/2466754.jpg

:):)

I mean something like this :D:D:D:D

roclement
02-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Steve, excellent post! Good to see you are still around!

Rodrigo

Eddie
02-04-2010, 06:58 PM
:):)

I mean something like this :D:D:D:D

Or like this....:D

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/kennysdiscus02/kennysdiscus03/kennysdiscus04/ARGDAPDsolid7.jpg

Kenny's photos

dbfzurowski
02-04-2010, 07:07 PM
i see it as buying a car. why do some pay $100k+ for a car when you can get one for $10k???
I really dont see why you come here and b*** about the prices. Do more research and you can find some really cheap discus for <$10 a fish. i bought mine cheap only to regret not spending more and using one of the sponsors here.
like everyone is saying, you pay for quality, just like with cars:)

Chad Hughes
02-04-2010, 07:21 PM
2FUNKIDS,
Here is how I see your thread: 1. Why do these fish cost so much and 2. How can I be in this hobby if they cost so much?

#1: There is always the 'what the market will bear" issue and it occurs here as in any other commodity.
New glitzy products costs more initially, prices change as the market becomes more flooded with the new prize, so if you have your heart set on a currently expensive strain, eventually it likely will be more moderately priced. Older, stable strains often cost significantly less than new strains, and are more hardy and forgiving of a newbies learning curve.
Your disdain regarding the price of adult fish may be tempered if you consider that to get a discus from baby to adult, it will take a year. In that year, if you know what you are doing to get the best potential out of the discus, you will be doing massive water changes every day or other day, you will be feeding expensive high protein meaty foods 4-8 x day, paying for water and electricity and meds and water conditioners.
you will have an outlay of equipement to light, filtration, heat. Someone recently broke it down and the overhead alone makes this on a fish by fish basis, pretty expensive--maybe $50-75.00 / fish, conservatively. If someone else not only does the outlay of cash, but spends a year working on the discus to get it to this size and health, and from primo stock which were expensive, they are going to want a reasonable return--this you will better understand if you choose to get into the hobby.
There is a fairly deep learning curve to be able to keep dsicus successfully, breeding aside, that takes a couple years, a few potentially expensive mistakes, and a lot of work. Expertise is worth something here.
Buying cheaper versions of the product you are interested in usually results in a poorer product [car or lawnmower or, discus!] and more headaches. After learning the hard way, you will hear a lot of folks vouching for certain sellers/breeders, whose prices may or may not be higher than some in the business will offer. BUt there is insurance in working with reputable sellers for fish and who back their businesses up with superb service and help when needed--they move the industry but they also help us all prosper in our hobby. MANY sellers do not do that, trust me. For the folks selling, I gotta tell you, it is hard to make a killing, though discus are pricey. --most make a modest income only from selling or breeding--they love discus, enjoy interacting with hobbyists, etc etc.
Generally what you pay for is what you get in that department--you could get a great deal on a cheap fish, but often they turn out to have poor health or endurance, or poor form or physical attributes when they age. So, after learning our chops on cheap discus, we usually go for the better quality and skip the headaches and heartaches.

#2: For me, it's always been about how do I get high quality discus for reasonable prices? I simply am not in the financial bracket to do it any other way. Never have been. But I love discus!! So here is how I have a lovely collection of discus that I enjoy tremendously: I buy as much equipment second hand as possible. I build tank cabinets and canopies myself when needed. I ask family or friends to wire up gizmos that are over my head. I look at the local fish club and craigslist ads if I need something. I initially bought [cheap] healthy local hobbyist raised juvenile fish. When I had a handle on what I was doing, I began to buy better quality juvenile fish. Youngsters are far cheaper than sub adults and adults and offer a world of experience to master. I have never purchased a discus over 3" in the 10 years I have been doing discus. I now try to buy 4-6 week old babies to raise myself, which cost less than 3" juvies, because my taste now runs too expensive for juvenile fish!
I make or buy discus food in bulk. If I buy frozen bloodworms, I order them by the case [25#]locally from a guy and he eats the shipping and charges me a little extra per pound. I get together with a friend to make beefheart for a few months at a time, we get what we need, and we sell the rest which pays for our own supply....and so on.
Shipping is EXPENSIVE. If I am going to buy shipped fish, I always contact other hobbyists in my area--I can usually get a couple folks to go in on an order, we break shipping costs into 1/2 or 1/3 per person, and that I can afford. I still try to buy locally if someone has something I want here. I often sell lesser favorite discus or plant offspring/cuttings from my planted tanks, and for a few years raised dwarf African cichlids in a 75 [which take little work and no brains--just flake food and a net and some fish in water and they breed] and sold locally which paid for a fair number of aquariums and some discus!

OK, enough from me, best of luck to you! I hope this helps.
Harriett

Well said. :)

2funkids
02-04-2010, 07:30 PM
ok, sorry folks I just don't see it your way, to me It's just fish with nice colors that cost to much money regardless of supply and damand or guality strain. there a pain in the *** ! gotta change water now, gotta run up my water bill now, gotta buy more meds the fish is sick again because I looked at it the wrong way, please I'll pass no thanks to much work to much risk, with some of the money some of you spend on these fish you should all be in business selling them just to pay for food, meds and water. like my man said earlier choose a differt hobby and I will. signing out for good !

Eddie
02-04-2010, 07:32 PM
ok, sorry folks I just don't see it your way, to me It's just fish with nice colors that cost to much money regardless of supply and damand or guality strain. there a pain in the *** ! gotta change water now, gotta run up my water bill now, gotta buy more meds the fish is sick again because I looked at it the wrong way, please I'll pass no thanks to much work to much risk, with some of the money some of you spend on these fish you should all be in business selling them just to pay for food, meds and water. like my man said earlier choose a differt hobby and I will. signing out for good !

Cool....goodluck with the goldfish

2funkids
02-04-2010, 07:37 PM
eddie, I'm doing a preditor tank and discus is for lunch !!! lol

hedut
02-04-2010, 07:39 PM

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D same thing when you have kids you need to feed them buy every things pay them to college and etc.................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D

if you just want nice color buy some guppy and neon good enough for eye:p:p:p:p

Eddie
02-04-2010, 07:40 PM

Like I said.....goldfish.

hedut
02-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Or like this....:D

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/kennysdiscus02/kennysdiscus03/kennysdiscus04/ARGDAPDsolid7.jpg

Kenny's photos

Yes Eddie.... I want some of those:D:D:D:D

roclement
02-04-2010, 07:41 PM
hope they teach spelling in crazy land! good luck with your "preditor" tank and if you feed them discus...my point is proven...

rodrigo

2funkids
02-04-2010, 07:43 PM
get a dog it's cheaper and you can take it places so you can enjoy it a lil more.

Spardas
02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
hope they teach spelling in crazy land! good luck with your "preditor" tank and if you feed them discus...my point is proven...

rodrigo

:D:D:D:D:D:D +1

Eddie
02-04-2010, 07:53 PM
get a dog it's cheaper and you can take it places so you can enjoy it a lil more.

Thought you were signing out....guess the grasp is too strong. :D

tcmemphisbbq
02-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Why are discus so expensive?

They are the largest, most beautiful and gratifying fresh water tropical fish. The interact with their owners. They have personalities. And, did I mention, they are truly beautiful?

As for expensive, I suggest pricing koi . . . that should make you think again about the cost of discus.

Just my 2 cents.:)

Amen Don...

Jason K.
02-04-2010, 08:22 PM
this kids got some serious issues... keep your eyes on your fish people, they may end up in a "preditor tank."lol...
and i take my fish everywhere i go...camera phone.

Spardas
02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
This thread makes me :D!

Sharkbait
02-04-2010, 08:42 PM

I drink imported beer because it tastes better ;)

phatdave
02-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Okay...Are Discus overpriced? They must not be, people keep spending big $$$ on them!

I researched and looked and looked some more. I am getting 6 baby Discus for 90.00$ Will they be as AMAZING as some Discus here that cost 280.00? Probably not.

But how many of you that spend hundreds on Discus will EVER show or breed them for profit? 10% maybe.

I think lots of people here like the discus,or they wouldnt be here...BUT I think lots of purchases are made for the " Oh Man your fish are GREAT....." feedback they get here. Peer recognition.

I dont need expensive fish because,well, Myself ,my Wife and a couple friends will be the only ones to EVER see them. Will a 280$ ARDG lull me to sleep any more my 15.00$ San Merah? You answer that yourself.

Dave:argue:

Eddie
02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Okay...Are Discus overpriced? They must not be, people keep spending big $$$ on them!

I researched and looked and looked some more. I am getting 6 baby Discus for 90.00$ As AMAZING as some Discus here that cost 280.00? Probably not.

But how many of you that spend hundred on fish will EVER show or breed them for profit? 10% maybe.

I think lots of people here like the discus,or they wouldnt be here...BUT I think lots of purchases are made for the " Oh Man your fish are GREAT....." feedback they get here. Peer recognition.

I dont need expensive fish because,well, Myself ,my Wife and a couple friends will be the only ones to EVER see them. Will a 280$ ARDG lull me to sleep any more my 15.00$ San Merah? You answer that yourself.

Dave, you should test drive a Lamborghini.......

phatdave
02-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Eddie, enough of the analogies.Really.

I understand the..." If they don't make the good stuff for me ,who do they make it for..." thought process.

I understand the fact that Discus are hard to breed. I understand that they produce limited amounts of fry, unlike Guppies...which sell for a buck two ninety five.

...I will post pics this Saturday...2-6-10 of my 6 Discus 2-3" ers that are being brought to me from Seattle. 15$ per fish. If they suck I bow to all of you Naysayers. If they are good quality fish....Well, whatever!

Dave

phatdave
02-04-2010, 09:45 PM

Don't be a Douce bag!

Spardas
02-04-2010, 09:46 PM

I researched and looked and looked some more. I am getting 6 baby Discus for 90.00$ As AMAZING as some Discus here that cost 280.00? Probably not.

But how many of you that spend hundred on fish will EVER show or breed them for profit? 10% maybe.

To each his own is what I'll say and that's fine with me. I respect your opinion on this.

Personally, I don't really care for what others have to say about anything I do because in the end; I answer to myself and my conscience (given the fact that I consider myself a highly rational person to the point of seemingly illogical to the norm). Now, as far as getting expensive things go, I feel that some things are priced the way they are because of the sheer quality of it.

Discus can be considered something of this caliber. It's the quality that catches my eye and it makes me happy to get it. It doesn't matter if it's only $1 or $1,000. If that discus is worth it to me, then I would gladly pay that much for it because I like it. Indeed, not everyone may have the luxury to afford high quality or expensive things but one can't really comment on it until they at least try it out to appreciate it.

To me, recognition is far less important than personal gratification. That is the bottom line for me; which is the same as yours but we just have different taste, :D.

roclement
02-04-2010, 09:48 PM

I understand the..." If they don't make the good stuff for me ,who do they make it for..." thought process.

I understand the fact that Discus are hard to breed. I understand that they produce limited amounts of fry, unlike Guppies...which sell for a buck two ninety five.

...I will post pics this Saturday...2-6-10 of my 6 Discus 2-3" ers that are being brought to me from Seattle. 15$ per fish. If they suck I bow to all of you Naysayers. If they are good quality fish....Well, whatever!

Dave

Dave,

I hope they are not the left over fish from Fishking...please be careful and quarentine them.

Rodrigo

phatdave
02-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Spardas... Well Said.

Spardas
02-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Dave,

I hope they are not the left over fish from Fishking...please be careful and quarentine them.

Rodrigo

I think he's getting them from Bobbyswaterworld something?

phatdave
02-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Spardas, You are correct.

http://bobbyswaterworld.com/

..and no, Im not his partner,buddy,or associate.

90 Gallons of Fun
02-04-2010, 10:08 PM

The dog in my picture to the left, cost me over $30k during the past three years. Surgery, chemo, meds, vet bills....... Dogs are not always cheaper!

I feel sorry for your kids, spouse, parents or friends. If one of them gets sick or old and becomes to be too much work............

Eddie
02-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Dave

LOL, don't get your panties in bunch Dave....

The same phrase comes to mind in this thread........told you so. Price isn't just about beauty, its about quality (in a health sense). Not everyone pays top dollar for full grown show quality fish. Many people actually put forth the effort and raise their fish from fry size.

Not everyone is here to boast about there fish. If thats what you think, try reading other sections of the forum where members actually help each other, thats what the forum is about. So for you and Spardas.....dont hate. Help out, if you have something to say. ;)

Eddie

Spardas
02-04-2010, 10:37 PM
LOL, don't get your panties in bunch Dave....

The same phrase comes to mind in this thread........told you so. Price isn't just about beauty, its about quality (in a health sense). Not everyone pays top dollar for full grown show quality fish. Many people actually put forth the effort and raise their fish from fry size.

Not everyone is here to boast about there fish. If thats what you think, try reading other sections of the forum where members actually help each other, thats what the forum is about. So for you and Spardas.....dont hate. Help out, if you have something to say. ;)

Eddie

No hate here, :D. I was merely stating the fact that everyone have their own perspective about things. In a sense, I think mostly everyone here including Dave share the same idea that personal gratification is more important than recognition and that we all have our own value system (whether it be fish or anything else). :D

Eddie
02-04-2010, 10:40 PM
No hate here, :D. I was merely stating the fact that everyone have their own perspective about things. In a sense, I think mostly everyone here including Dave share the same idea that personal gratification is more important than recognition and that we all have our own value system (whether it be fish or anything else). :D

Most definitely and just like the artist who paints a beautiful picture, it is not beautiful for the people who view it, it was for himself. Hanging that picture on the wall, isn't bragging about the beauty of your work. Some people enjoy displaying their work and dedication, not the money they spent for the painting.

Eddie

phatdave
02-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Eddie...I sinched them back up. :D

Eddie
02-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Eddie...I sinched them back up. :D

LOL....

GlennR
02-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Show me a hobby which doesn't cost money. It's "worth" whatever it costs to make you happy.

As long as you don't tell your mate what you paid you're ok...because as soon as you do it will cost you at least that much again!

erikc
02-05-2010, 04:10 AM

Naw, sorry Eddie, I'll go for an Aston Martin any day !

Steve Rybicki
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Steve, excellent post! Good to see you are still around!

Rodrigo

Thanks,

I've been browsing the forums because I'm looking to get another strain within the next few months and I'm trying to decide which I'd like. Every now and then I see a post I can't keep my nose out of, though I know I should. :)

yikesjason
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Since I can't afford Lamborghinis, Ashton Martins, Ferrari's, or anything close, I enjoy my Hyundai. These days Hyundais are looking pretty good, better than Honda right now.

erikc
02-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Since I can't afford Lamborghinis, Ashton Martins, Ferrari's, or anything close, I enjoy my Hyundai. These days Hyundais are looking pretty good, better than Honda right now.

Neither can I, but one can always dream !

rickztahone
02-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Show me a hobby which doesn't cost money. It's "worth" whatever it costs to make you happy.

As long as you don't tell your mate what you paid you're ok...because as soon as you do it will cost you at least that much again!

LOL, well said Glenn. in the end, a "hobby" is something you chose to go ahead with and no one forced you to spend "all that money" on said hobby. i believe the OP came in with a negative attitude and left with it as well, which is probably better for SD. at the end of the day we pay what we pay for discus because it is a hobby we all love, through the good times and bad.

fish nut
02-05-2010, 05:58 PM
WHY ARE DISCUS SO EXPENSIVE ? ? ?
Consider all these costs involving this hobby....
This is bases on my monthly bills on about 50 Discus and 4 tanks
* Live Food $150/month.
* tetra bits/flake $25/month.
*Water/electricity $250/month.
*water conditioner $10/month.
* Medicine $10/month.
Your time changing the water, taking care of your fishes.... PRICELESS....

Just my 2 cents,
Perry Nguyen :angel: :angel: :angel:

Hey Phat,

Is that your full, real name?
We have the same first and last name.

vu p
02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
discus breed fast and easy to keep but why so expensive? i dont know. i have asian arowanas and those are expensive.

RLorts
02-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Some of you need to stop bashing lfs discus. Some lfs do stock Simplys sponsors discus. Try informing them on how to pick good discus that haven't been starved or treated poorly.
As far as discus being expensive some people are just too greedy or too cheap the rest of us enjoy discus

DiscusFreakaZoid
02-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Dam you guys attack this Kid like Piranhas. Some topics are very touchy here i guess. DiscusKeepers dont mess around :argue:

Eddie
02-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Some of you need to stop bashing lfs discus. Some lfs do stock Simplys sponsors discus. Try informing them on how to pick good discus that haven't been starved or treated poorly.
As far as discus being expensive some people are just too greedy or too cheap the rest of us enjoy discus

Its not necessarily the source of the fish, but the lack of care in the LFS that gives a bad reputation. Some of my fish are LFS, and they are some of my nicest fish. :D Not all of them are the same, just a generalization really.

Eddie

discusjoe27
02-06-2010, 05:41 AM

:mad:that's your damn problem kid, you see discus as just fish with nice colors.you don't see it as a learning exper and one of the most if not the most enjoy-able fishes you ever will have. just to let you know all fish will need medication,and water changes. I hope you reconsiter, it will be worth it in the end. me why are discus so exp. because of transporters to transporters,shipping, medication,water changing and all the food. good luck with your predator tank it's going to cost more then discus.

lets see a breeder can start with a 2 inch discus for $20.00 but it will need to be feed 4-6 times a day, and at the min. 2 water changes of at least 30% or more two times a week. add that all up when it full grown at 5-7 inches in 14-16 months and the breeder is asking $125-$150 for it I think that is cheap.

really Laughing my ARSE off, you think a dog is cheaper. let's see if you get the dog for free each shot will run 30-60,plus the vet bills, plus spaying or neturing the dog,dog cage, dog house, dog bed, leash,collar,food bowl,water bowl,food,city rest. etc it add's up. I have 4 dogs just in food cost, $100.00 to $125.00 a month, oh and if your dog ever gets out and bites some one it goes to QT for 10 days fee 100.00 here in the state of texas, it's a state law.

kid, have fun with your goldfish, jinja turtles,poke man trading cards, game boy,etc. can't wait till you get out in to the big mean old REAL WORLD!
HA HA :D

hey what are you going to do when your parents are old and retired and no longer able to support them selfs, you just going to kick them in to a retirement home, and try to find new parents Laughing out loud!

also with that dog, what are you going to do when it's old and worn down, or if you get a brown or black down and decided you want a white dog or a different breed?

look for deals, I was able to get a metal 55 gallon stand, two 55 gallon tanks, lids and lights for the top,a hob filter,4 heaters 2 for the top- 2 for the bottom,and a sponge filter for the bottom, off of craigslist.org for $100.00 me I will be using the main tank for a planted tank.
the bottom growing out fish or a QT tank.

tips: find a breeder and return to him. be loyal. me I won't give up my name or name of the place, but I go in there so much for sponge filter(S),blood worms,heaters,air pumps, and conditior. that as long as i'm paying in cash I don't get charged tax. one day I was able to get 5 -3.5 inch long for 100.00 when they where $35.00 each. also help out if the breeder has a shop, clean the tanks, do water changes, feed the fish, help other customers.

mmorris
02-06-2010, 09:55 AM
discus breed fast and easy to keep but why so expensive? i dont know. i have asian arowanas and those are expensive.

I don't make a penny an hour on the discus I sell.

ShinShin
02-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Phatdave,

A trio of red albino delta tail guppies @ 3 months of age cost me $75.00 awhile back. They were bought from a reputable IFGA breeder in California. There are several strains of quality discus available from Simply sponsors that would run me less for 3 fish. It is all about quality.

To the person with the $15 San Merahs,

$15.00? Are you sure you have true San Merahs? Just because someone told you they were San Merahs, doesn't mean they are. I viewed the link to Bobby's Waterworld. The pics of the San Merahs posted there are a classic example of what a true San Merah is NOT.

Some years back I tried selling quality true San Merahs to a LFS in OLympia, Wa. for $15.00 ea. just to get him to buy other strains from me that I was breeding. Although the quality far exceeded anything he had to sell, he declined askng why should I pay $15.00 apiece for your discus when I can get Thai imports @ $5.00 apiece? He didn't care about quality or strain. All he wanted was some cheap discus with some color that he could sell for $50-$60 ea. . The truth is most LFS sell lower quality discus at a high price. There are exceptions.

Mat

hedut
02-06-2010, 11:31 AM

I researched and looked and looked some more. I am getting 6 baby Discus for 90.00$ Will they be as AMAZING as some Discus here that cost 280.00? Probably not.

But how many of you that spend hundreds on Discus will EVER show or breed them for profit? 10% maybe.

do you realy know what's mean San Merah? San merah mean bar less or no bar at all:p:p:p if your san merah have bar than not san merah :p:p:p

philip69285
02-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I finally got around to looking at this post and couldnt help but laugh :). Discus to me arent expensive so I dont see why ppl think they are. Weird thing is that same person that thinks a $30 colbalt is expensive goes and buys say $30 worth of other little fish they dont like as much. I see it happen at my store all the time... oh that $5 fish is sooo beautiful... lets buy two black mollies instead that are ok for $5 LOL. Ppl dont think they just do. Any tank will need plenty of water changes and plenty of meds throughout its life so anyway you go about it a tank will cost lots of money. I see it as why fill it up with some "ok" fish that you kindah like when you really want this other fish that you will love for its whole life and never want anything else.

Disgirl
02-06-2010, 01:19 PM
I just thought of another reason why discus cost more, they have a much longer lifespan than lots of other tropical fish! Lots of other cichlids do too and most of them cost more too!
Barb:)

DiscusChris
02-06-2010, 02:20 PM
I think this was just someone trying to stir the pot and get you guys all fired up for no reason. Its probably someone on here that made a different account to play around. Did you see the guy on the first page named "discushans"? lol

scottthomas
02-06-2010, 02:43 PM
I am having fun breeding some discus. After adding up the cost of food, water, electricity, equipment, chemicals, labor and time, I would have to charge about $20 a fish to make even pennies profit. LOL. It would have been cheaper to buy more (including shipping charges) rather than raise my own. Seems obvious that it would be very difficult to earn a living just breeding discus. Its no wonder they are expensive. I just enjoy the hobby.

While many fish farms can at least breed several types of fish within the same water paramaters therefore making it profitable, I am not aware of any good discus breeders also breeding african cichlids, angels, goldfish, etc. Too specialized.

brewmaster15
02-06-2010, 04:01 PM

I'd be careful announcing that bit about the Asian Arrowanas... your in California... Fish and wildlife looks for posts like this.

-al

Discusgeo2
02-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by 2funkids View Post

I like to see you tell my wife that about her Yorkies. It is at least $100.00 each time we visit the vet for a checkup. It's even higher when they are pregnant and go in for a check up of their unborn pups. This kid is dreaming he better stick with mollies.

Scribbles
02-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Just read this and...Wow! I figure that I've paid less than $1 a day over the last year for my "expensive" discus from a sponsor. Hmm...what else can I get for $1 a day that will bring me so much pleasure. NOTHING! Discus aren't the fish for everybody. They require work and dedication as does anything worthwhile in life. If you want something to entertain you and not involve work then buy a tv.

The most expensive animal that I've ever owned was a "free" mixed breed stray dog. I had to get a second job to pay for his vet bills and he was worth every penny. I have a rescue dog right now that cost over $7,000 in vet bills before she was even 9 months old. Discus are much cheaper.

Chris

wadewc
02-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Everybody has oppions and views. I do not like to defend or explain to people why i do a hobbie or how much i spend. There is always someone that will not understand or rag you. I enjoy discus because they are not common and a very unique fish. I have moved three of my tanks into one room because of my honeydue projects. I find great pleasure in sitting in this room looking and watching my fish grow. Great stress relief. As you all know they have different personality. I also have radio control airplanes and i have spent some $$$ on them. I have a friend that flies radio control jets and has spent over $25,000.00 on one plane. I have come to relize at my age with the cancer and other illness in my family life is short. We should do what we want when we want. I agree discus takes dedication taking care of them but that is no different than any pet or hobbie we have. If you can not afford this hobbie then do something else that you enjoy. I really enjoy this form with all the help that is given to help those that is enterested in this hobbie and Fantastic sponsers and others that make this form possible. There is so many great people here with the same enterest. I hope to meet alot of you in June. I really like looking at pictures of others discus and tanks as well so keep them comming.

Just my opion,
Wade

vu p
02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
thanks Al... my bad

mcishaque
02-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Just read the threads on here, and IMHO, there seem to be some strong opinions here.

I'm a newb. So I have zip for experience breeding, how often discus spawn, growth rate, etc. All I know is I like their colorful appearance, their personalities, and that I enjoy keeping them as opposed to any other freshwater fish that I've kept in the past.

If I wanted even more color, and had the dedication, the time and the will, I'd go for saltwater and reef setups. But I don't. I like lots of color, and this to me, is a good compromise.

As for expensive, yes - any hobby or anything can get expensive depending on how obsessed or passionate you are bout it.

However, I think that the original question is a valid one, and I too am curious.

So to paraphrase, here is my Q:

- the initial purchase price of a discus seems higher than 90% of the other freshwater fish available; in what order would you rank the significance of the factors that contribute to this initial high cost (#1 being most important, #10 being the least)

#1) discus grow slow, and it takes them X number of months to reach spawning age

#3) even after eggs are laid, no guarantees of hatching and successful wigglers (strict environmental conditions must be met)

# 4) once the eggs hatch, you lost a lot to inexperienced parents

#5) new hatchlings needs more human intervention than other fishes, and the hatchlings' food is expensive, etc

#6) WC, heating, etc run up the rearing bills for breeders

#7) juveniles need high protein diet, and thus runs up the rearing cost even more

#8) the market is strong for quality discus, and therefore the asking price can be sustained by breeders and suppliers; supply and demand principle

As many of the sponsors, breeders and hobbyists have said, at the end of the cycle, folks don't seem to be making a lucrative living by raising and selling discus.

If that statement is to be trusted, and is a valid one, then I have to conclude that most of the above suppositions of #1 through #8 come into play to keep the purchase price of a discus higher than the average freshwater fish. There are other contributing factors that I've not thought about I'm sure...

Yes ?

Sorry for highjacking the thread.

Ofcourse, I could be way off. It's possible that every discuss breeder is driving a lambo, an enzo, or a bentley... me - I'll stick w/ my vespa :-)

brewmaster15
02-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Its relative... You can't compare keeping Discus to other aquarium fish...like I can't compare the camera so and so uses to the digital SLR I use for one of my other "expensive" hobbies.

How expensive Discus are is relative to how into the hobby a person is...you can get a decent juvenile fish for very little money,... sure it will be more than what a Gourami costs...but if a person wanted a gourami...they buy that. Back to my camera example.. Mary likes taking pictures of her family and pets... so she buys a $99 digital point and shoot camera. Brew likes taking pictures of wildlife... so he buys a high quality and expensive camera and lens to go with it, and tripods to stabilize and backup camera and takes roadtrips...Brews into the hobby more than mary and the cost difference between Mary's gear and his never crosses his mind....... Brew wishes though he had the money to buy an even more expensive camera set up with a $20,000 lens instead of his used $600 lens...so he could be like even more "into" the hobby and really do well in his hobby....if you get what I am saying here...then you'll understand why Discus can be expensive as a hobby....but not expensive for a Discus Hobbyist.:) If you can't... there will come a time when you are in this hobby for a while and you get a handle on whats so addicting about it....that you will understand my post.

now for some really addicting past times...:):):):):):) from Forbes magazine.
http://www.forbes.com/2006/10/02/addictions-most-expensive-biz-cx_tvr_1003addictions.html
Alcohol

Estimated annual cost: $166 billion

Binge drinking hits the unemployed harder on a per capita basis--10.4%, versus 8.4% of employed people. It is most prevalent in small metropolitan locales, rather than big cities or rural areas. The $18 billion spent on alcohol and drug treatment last year represented 1.3% of all health care spending.

Smoking

Estimated annual cost: $157 billion

The tab includes $75 billion in direct medical expenses, with the rest in lost productivity from ill patients missing work. Given the low-tax (or no-tax) underground cigarette economy on the Web and on Indian reservations, it's unlikely that sales and usage have dropped much over the past decade, official government statistics notwithstanding.

Drugs

Estimated annual cost: $110 billion

Like alcohol, illicit drug use is more prevalent among the unemployed. Most addicts are also heavy drinkers, though only a small minority of alcoholics are drug abusers. Crystal meth has followed marijuana, cocaine and heroin as the drug of choice among the young set.

Overeating

Estimated annual cost: $107 billion

Overeating increases the risk of many health problems, including heart attacks--obesity causes 14% of attacks suffered by males and 20% of those suffered by females, the National Institute for Health says, and less than a third of adults get regular exercise. The bulk of the $107 billion is the direct cost to treat heart disease, osteoarthritis, hypertension, gall bladder disease and cancer.

Gambling

Estimated annual cost: $40 billion

Addicted gamblers are often compelled to chase after bad bets with more money in the hope of winning back their losses. And some who catch the fever develop the need to periodically raise the betting stakes to keep the same thrill. Also, addicts often face job loss, bankruptcy and forced home sales, and they are at greater risk to commit crimes like forgery and embezzlement.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/10/02/biz-cx_tvr_1002addiction_slide_5.html?thisSpeed=20000

-al

Discus-n00b
02-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I notice the price on the outside, but really don't pay much attention to it. If its something I want why not? I can't use the money when i'm dead, I have no kids, no wife...no other pets. What am I going to use the money for? Sure i'd take care of myself first (And my family if i had kids etc), make sure the car is paid off, the house/apartment is good, have food, etc....but why not spend some on something I enjoy?

I'm about to drop some big bucks on a new larger reef tank. Why? Because i want to. I might be getting a new car soon as well. Why? Because I want to (and my jeep is getting old but thats beside the point...i need an upgrade heh)

You only get to live once, don't know when it will be over, enjoy yourself. Enjoy your hobbies. At least thats what I say.

I agree with this. Don't dwell on it. I bought fish from someone, and the next shipment the same size and strain went down in price compared to what I paid. Oh well i was happy with my fish and thats all that matters.

tips: find a breeder and return to him. be loyal. me I won't give up my name or name of the place, but I go in there so much for sponge filter(S),blood worms,heaters,air pumps, and conditior. that as long as i'm paying in cash I don't get charged tax. one day I was able to get 5 -3.5 inch long for 100.00 when they where $35.00 each. also help out if the breeder has a shop, clean the tanks, do water changes, feed the fish, help other customers.

Agree with this as well. This corner of the hobby is a very tight knit group, everyone knows everyone. Staying loyal and being in people's good graces goes a long way. From throwing extra fish in your next order, to giving you discounts, to replacing fish that you lost due to equipment malfunction or accident, etc. I even had someone offer to care for my fish for me while I was deployed.

The money alone was worth getting to know everyone in the hobby.

phatdave
02-07-2010, 06:48 PM
do you realy know what's mean San Merah? San merah mean bar less or no bar at all:p:p:p if your san merah have bar than not san merah :p:p:p

A Rose by any other name still smells just as sweet. So what if they are Rose Reds I dont care. They can be Pete Rose Reds for all I care.

They are healthy, eating well, will grow just as fast and big as fish from any breeder. Six months from now I will post pics again and show my... San Mariachis and we shall see.....did I mention they were 15.00 $ Each? :argue:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/phatdave/a1discus-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/phatdave/a1discus.jpg

Dave

mcishaque
02-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Well done Dave; they look very nice and healthy; and what a bargain, too !

Very nice.

Eddie
02-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Looks like you got some nice fish. 2 of them look like Rose Reds or Red Cover or maybe San Merah. I'm not all hip on those particular Red types.

All the best,

Eddie

Tito
02-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Hum....I'm just going to shake my head here a little....

I can understand the original poster's sentiment.

I hope that what I am about to say can be appreciated...especially by those who have been fortunate enough to have it easy in life.

I grew up in the South Bronx, Mott Haven section - it is the poorest section of the Bronx and for that matter NYC as a whole. When you grow up broke you see things a lot differently than let's say my wife who was raised in Freeport, LI in a house. She and I are from two different worlds and see things very different because of it.

I enjoy Discus - they are amazing. But they can be very expensive - especially for me - because of my situation but also as well because of the WAY I see things - how I was raised. Many people just take it for granted that everybody just spends money like it's no problem. Everyone is not like that. A Discus is a fish. It comes from nature. It was not manufactured in a factory like a sports car. Keeping this in mind for people like myself I get vexed when I see such a high price tag on a creature that swims freely in a body of water. I know it cost money to catch or breed them I understand that clearly - but it's a fish - it's from nature. But mankind puts a price tag on it and profits from it -this can be vexing to certain people depending on where they come from in life and where they are at.

And it would be shameful and boastful for someone to tell someone to get another fish because you can't afford to be in the club - that's just tasteless and cruel.

Let's learn to understand the folks that may not have the means like you do but would love to enjoy these beautiful fish the same way you do.

There are many way to look at a matter.

I have seen videos on Youtube with caucasian teenagers doing Crip Walks in teh backyard of their homes - they post these videos as tutorials. Now anybody that knows what I'm talking about follow me. Imagine taking one of those kids and dropping them off in South Central LA.....do you think they would Crip Walk then??

What does this have to do with anything??? Everything! People can be so ingnorant and down right insensitive to people with lesser means - especially on the internet. People can be so FLY (slang) on the internet behind a computer - it's amazing.

rickztahone
02-08-2010, 02:17 AM
I have seen videos on Youtube with caucasian teenagers doing Crip Walks in teh backyard of their homes - they post these videos as tutorials. Now anybody that knows what I'm talking about follow me. Imagine taking one of those kids and dropping them off in South Central LA.....do you think they would Crip Walk then??...

you don't have to be Caucasian to get beat up for Crip Walking, lol. i get what you are saying though and i respect it. i myself come from a demographic that statistically showed that i should be resting in peace, lol. you see things from a different perspective at times, it's not always a good thing either...

Scribbles
02-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Not everyone assumes that everyone else has money. If you are buying fish and aquariums though you do have some extra cash. Fish are not a staple like food, heat , and shelter. If I could afford a car and had $5,000 to spend then I wouldn't be looking for a sports car. As far as fish being animals you can use that same arguement with any animal. You can pay $3,500 for a dog or get a free one. I've ridden horses that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and some that were free. Both were woderful but the free horse wasn't the one going to the Olympics. The bottom line is get what you like that you can comfortably afford.

FYI Tito I've never had money and I never will and I'm ok with it.

Chris

Tito
02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Hey let me just say that I am not pointing the finger at any one person - not in the least I'm not like that - it's more of a general statement. Most of the arguments presented in this thread are very accurate and tell truth about the business aspect.

It's just that - when I hear somene talking about cost or how much money they shelled out and lost fish like in a recent thread I commented on - I just know where the person is coming from and I notice that many people overlook the most obvious thing and jump into other remarks that I bet the person really wont ever care about. Sometimes we have to feel thru a computer what is really going on. If you are accustomed to hard times it's much easier to pick this up. I'm just trying to bring out awareness. Believe it or not snobbyness is easier to catch than a cold. LOL

To the original poster I want to say - just keep your eyes and ears peeled - from time to time you will luck out on a great deal. There may be someone near you that has a blessing for you. Many people have money to spend on their hobby and they are very passionate about it so you have to see their side as well. In this world - this world is full of capitalist - they feel it's the way the world is supposed to be or that they didn't make it they are just going wi it - anything to justify the existence - in this matter, anything to justify the price. Ignore it - you'll live better. Just look for you diamond in the ruff.

Chris - I hear you - read your story on another thread - would not have even guessed you've been thru such tough times.

brewmaster15
02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Tito,
I think you raise good points and I get were you are coming from....but I have to be candid and honest here...

This is a hobby...and as such a Hobby is something that should fit ones means after they have met their needs...meaning a hobby whatever hobby you take up is something that should be done so after the expenses of lifes needs are met... A hobby fills a "want"... and as such the hobby a person should chose needs to fit their income ....Its a sad fact that not everyone will have the same discretionary income to spend on a Hobby.

Personally I would rather have a hobby I could afford and fully enjoy, rather than one that stresses me out because of its expenses... Discus can be expensive as a hobby depending how into the hobby a person goes... but a hobby needs to fit ones means....

I'm not rich by any means..my upbringing was hard...Mom was an Italian immigrant, Dad worked 2-3 jobs...I remember winters as a kid burning rolls of Newspaper for heat....

I am however an expert on Hobbies...Life is too short and I want to experience as much as I can... I have many many hobbies..:) and some cost bucks...some cost next to nothing.. At times when I have some extra cash I lean more on the expensive ones... other times I find simple pleasures in the ones that cost nothing.

Some of my Hobbies...

Discus:)
Other cichlids:)
Reptiles...I breed snakes and turtles
photography...started with print 20 years ago..now mostly digital
computers..
Plants...I enjoy collecting and growing house plants... my collections there have been excessive
Books..I collect biology and nature books...absolutely love old used bookshops.
camping, hiking, fishing
cigars...yep to me they are a hobby I actually read about them as well as smoke em.
reading...really enjoy fantasy/scifi novels
Homebrewing Beer, mead and wine
Anime cartoons...don't ask me why ..But I really get a kick out of them.

A person needs to choose the Hobby that is right for them and takes into account their finances. I've a ton of Hobbies I would like to try.....but they are not within my financial means, so until they are...I'll enjoy the hobbies that I can afford.

-al

Disgirl
02-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I was glad to read your post Al. I too have many hobbies, some say way too many :D. But life is short and we should do as much as we want to and can. And if discus are part of this then so much the better! I have always chosen to go with very young, less expensive discus, and raise them up myself, even though it is much more work, but more gratifying to me.
Barb:D

diamond_discus
02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I started out with a 10-gallon tank with guppies and black mollies .. I got lots of frys .. my whole family was so excited .. but then the exitement is gone very quickly .. pretty soon, it became boring to me .. and I have to beg people to take some of my frys ..

I need more challenge .. but I don't want to go thru the trouble with a salt water tank ... So the closest thing is discus .. which is the king of freshwater fish .. so many different strain, and color .. Yes, it takes time, effort and money .. but so does all other hobbies and sports .. When you have the experience of witnessing how discus raise their frys .. you will learn to appreciate their value even more.

What is the definition of "expensive" ? This value concept will change with your age and your financial situation.

When I started out with Discus .. I don't know any better .. Don't know how to pick quality fishes .. I just go with color and price .. The only source I knew was local LFS ... I did pick up some low cost juv discus 14 months ago ... about 1.5" to 2" .. $10 - $15 ... a bit more expensive than the guppies, black molly and angel fish .. But hey, I grow them out to be 6"+ and I got two pairs out of it.

Back then, I never thought or dream of buying a discus more than $10-$15 ... but you know what .. I spent $165 recently on one certain type of discus strain .. and I thought it was worth the money. You see ? my value changes .... I am not to the level of $385 yet ... but who knows .. I might get there soon .. but of course, I have to work harder for my money and save up more before I can think of it ...

It's just like buying a car .. my first car is an used one .. cost a few hundred bucks .. no air conditioning, no power steering, no power brake .. and heck, no radio either .. As I get older .. I upgraded to better cars ... Same for room ... I rented a room after I got my first job out of college .. then I have a studio, an apartment, a condo .. and now a house ..

Just enjoy what you can afford in various stage of your life. Have a nice day, people. ;)

Tito
02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Well said Al - very well said and makes sense too.

I'm just glad that I can raise a few of my pennies to enjoy fish, especially Discus. My dad kept fish all throughout my growing up - they are a part of me. Wish I could keep Salamanders and Finches but beleive you me - that would be P u s h i n g it! LOL

mcishaque
02-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Last 10 or so replies have been good posts - thank you all.

While everyone makes valid points, it still skirts the meat of my Q.

While one can choose to spend $600 for a used camera lense, and still aspire for a $20,000 lense - there is a good reason why one lense is $600, and the other is $20,000. It mostly has to do with the production cost of the item.

Same thing can be said for a Hundai vs a Ferrari. The delta between production cost and profit is far greater, in the case of a Ferrari. But the volume of Hundais sold, makes up for the low profit margin.

That bing said, yes - one's willingness to spend on an item is very much motivated by one's desires, and finally, ultimately determined by one's financial standing at the time of the purchase.

But back to my Q. To clarify, my question was:

- why does an AVERAGE 2 inch discus got for $30, and an AVERAGE 2 inch gourami for $5 ? What factors contribute to this price difference ? That's what I'd like to understand.

I'm not talking about the Rolls Royce of discus. Heck ... I would not even know what a top notch class AA discus was even if it jumped up and bit me on my nose. :D

I'm not trying to stir the pot. I'm just trying to understand why the average young discus has a higher price tag than the average gourami, or angelfish or african chiclid ....

brewmaster15
02-08-2010, 09:08 PM
HI,
Maybe I can answer this by asking you a question. Have you ever bred any freshwater fish? If so... was there a difference in what it takes to breed and raise one species to maturity over another?

I've bred alot of different species...some bred if they so much look at a member of the opposite sex...and some are so hardy and forgiving you could neglect them and still raise out thousands of fry...some are prolific and lay several hundred to many hundreds of eggs and will do so in a wide range of water parameters..Some will mature in months..not years... all of these factors make for abundant fish numbers and hence a cheaper price....

none of the above examples describe discus though....which is why they are relatively more costly.

hth,
al
Last 10 or so replies have been good posts - thank you all.

While everyone makes valid points, it still skirts the meat of my Q.

While one can choose to spend $600 for a used camera lense, and still aspire for a $20,000 lense - there is a good reason why one lense is $600, and the other is $20,000. It mostly has to do with the production cost of the item.

Same thing can be said for a Hundai vs a Ferrari. The delta between production cost and profit is far greater, in the case of a Ferrari. But the volume of Hundais sold, makes up for the low profit margin.

That bing said, yes - one's willingness to spend on an item is very much motivated by one's desires, and finally, ultimately determined by one's financial standing at the time of the purchase.

But back to my Q. To clarify, my question was:

- why does an AVERAGE 2 inch discus got for $30, and an AVERAGE 2 inch gourami for $5 ? What factors contribute to this price difference ? That's what I'd like to understand.

I'm not talking about the Rolls Royce of discus. Heck ... I would not even know what a top notch class AA discus was even if it jumped up and bit me on my nose. :D

I'm not trying to stir the pot. I'm just trying to understand why the average young discus has a higher price tag than the average gourami, or angelfish or african chiclid ....

mmorris
02-08-2010, 09:50 PM
- why does an AVERAGE 2 inch discus got for $30,

You should expect to pay $15-20 for a 2 inch discus. Discus are a looooot of work for fewer fry and need more tank space, water and electricity.

mcishaque
02-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks AL, and MMORRIS (Aunt Martha ?). Your answers are spot on to what I was asking, and pretty much says factors #1 through #7 all play.

Have I bred any fish ? Heck no ! :p

Just read the threads on here, and IMHO, there seem to be some strong opinions here.

Discus-Hans
03-07-2010, 03:20 PM
There came some very good points out off this "no sense OP" lol

The guy was just pi$$ed when I told him to buy his Discus some were else.

I'm happy I had the feeling there was something wrong there :D

Hans

Willie
03-07-2010, 03:39 PM
There is major confusion between "price" and "cost" in this thread. These two items are not related. You get your average cell phone for free, even though manufacturing cost is typically $150+. Yet you pay $40+/month for service when the cost of sending electrons down a wire is essentially zero. A woman's blouse typically costs 2X - 3X a man's shirt, and is usually made with much lower quality.

Why do discus cost more? Al answered that pretty well. Success rates are much lower for this species than others. If discus were really easy to breed, they shoul "cost" no more than angelfish.

Why are discus priced so high? That's a function of supply and demand. Kenny's last few orders have been mostly pre-sold by the time they're listed and the last order was completely pre-sold. So demand is significantly higher than supply. What would be the logical result of this imbalance? Dear friends, the only rational response is for Kenny to raise his prices. If/When he does, my response will be "Congratulations, guy."

Willie

rickztahone
03-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Tito,
I think you raise good points and I get were you are coming from....but I have to be candid and honest here...

This is a hobby...and as such a Hobby is something that should fit ones means after they have met their needs...meaning a hobby whatever hobby you take up is something that should be done so after the expenses of lifes needs are met... A hobby fills a "want"... and as such the hobby a person should chose needs to fit their income ....Its a sad fact that not everyone will have the same discretionary income to spend on a Hobby.

Personally I would rather have a hobby I could afford and fully enjoy, rather than one that stresses me out because of its expenses... Discus can be expensive as a hobby depending how into the hobby a person goes... but a hobby needs to fit ones means....

I'm not rich by any means..my upbringing was hard...Mom was an Italian immigrant, Dad worked 2-3 jobs...I remember winters as a kid burning rolls of Newspaper for heat....

I am however an expert on Hobbies...Life is too short and I want to experience as much as I can... I have many many hobbies..:) and some cost bucks...some cost next to nothing.. At times when I have some extra cash I lean more on the expensive ones... other times I find simple pleasures in the ones that cost nothing.

Some of my Hobbies...

Discus:)
Other cichlids:)
Reptiles...I breed snakes and turtles
photography...started with print 20 years ago..now mostly digital
computers..
Plants...I enjoy collecting and growing house plants... my collections there have been excessive
Books..I collect biology and nature books...absolutely love old used bookshops.
camping, hiking, fishing
cigars...yep to me they are a hobby I actually read about them as well as smoke em.
reading...really enjoy fantasy/scifi novels
Homebrewing Beer, mead and wine
Anime cartoons...don't ask me why ..But I really get a kick out of them.

A person needs to choose the Hobby that is right for them and takes into account their finances. I've a ton of Hobbies I would like to try.....but they are not within my financial means, so until they are...I'll enjoy the hobbies that I can afford.

-al

hey Al, since you like fantasy books, have you read "The Sword of Truth" series by Terri Goodkind? (it might be Terry) it is an 11 book series that is awesome when it comes to fantasy. My next series is going to be George R.R. Martin "A song of Ice and Fire". i've heard some really good things about those. i just got through Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" and man, was that a read. Sorry OP, i get side-tracked when talking about books

samuelkl
03-07-2010, 08:45 PM
fantasy series i know... song of ice and fire is a VERY good series and might even compare to the best of the best " Wheel of Time" series. "The Sword of Shannara" series is also solid, Dune series as well

jeff@zina.com
03-09-2010, 05:19 PM
fantasy series i know... song of ice and fire is a VERY good series and might even compare to the best of the best " Wheel of Time" series. "The Sword of Shannara" series is also solid, Dune series as well

The cost of all those books is enough to pay for some decent Discus... :)

Jeff

darkknight87
03-09-2010, 08:11 PM
One thing I noticed is that people make the argument that you get what you pay for, and that something that is $400 is much better than something that is $100.
But, sometimes you fail to forget that on some things, you pay for the name/reputation of the manufacturer.
Example.
I use to sell Lawnmowers. Soo many people would come in and Look at a John Deere, which was the most expensive brand of mowers. They wanted that one because they felt it was the best, even though it wasn't. Another brand, Husquvarna* sp , was actually much better quality. It was made with much better steel, had a better motor on it, and had thicker, more durable blades. And yet, it was several hundred dollars less than the Deere.
Sometimes , you do get what you pay for..but sometimes you pay extra for something that isn't any better. Always compare wisely. Some of my discus that I paid little for have grown up to be just as nie and pleasing to me as ones I paid much more for. They may not be award winners..but they are my fish, and I wouldnt trade them for the world.

MostlyDiscus
03-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Terry Brooks, Magic kindom for sale, SOLD.

GlennR
03-11-2010, 04:40 PM
One thing I noticed is that people make the argument that you get what you pay for, and that something that is $400 is much better than something that is $100.
But, sometimes you fail to forget that on some things, you pay for the name/reputation of the manufacturer.
Example.
I use to sell Lawnmowers. Soo many people would come in and Look at a John Deere, which was the most expensive brand of mowers. They wanted that one because they felt it was the best, even though it wasn't. Another brand, Husquvarna* sp , was actually much better quality. It was made with much better steel, had a better motor on it, and had thicker, more durable blades. And yet, it was several hundred dollars less than the Deere.
Sometimes , you do get what you pay for..but sometimes you pay extra for something that isn't any better. Always compare wisely. Some of my discus that I paid little for have grown up to be just as nie and pleasing to me as ones I paid much more for. They may not be award winners..but they are my fish, and I wouldnt trade them for the world.

I totally agree. There are many people who are clueless about things they purchase and just figure it's easier to just pay more and "hope" the old saying is true. It sure makes marketing frustrating, since we're dealing with two opposite mindsets! On the one hand you have less wealthy folks, but they're willing to spend more on things. Then, you have more unwealthy folks who are price consious (sp?), but won't purchase because they can't afford it anyway.....

So, it's a visious cycle. And we all lose from it. Oh well at least the internet helps "cut out the middle-man", which is great....except for the middle-man!

ifixoldhouses
03-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Example.

I second that, I worked in the small engine repair business, and once a Husqvarna left the store it never came back to be repaired.

DISCUS USA
03-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Tito if you cant hang with 2 inch discus @ 15 beans a pop leave it alone cause these fish in the begining are addictive and if theres no funds then your only going be doing it to yourself..but if i was you id save cut back on things you dont really need get you a small group small 1.5-2 inch discus that go between 10-15 dollars each just grow them out ..trust me its cool watching them grow to adults you gonna be proud to see them all big and fat if you lucky when they hit semi adult age they might hit you off with some eggs/babies .. ask around for a hobbiest by you that might have babies for sale or a local breeder so you dont have to spend on shipping ..

mcishaque
03-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Enough is enough. Wake up and grow some insight:

1) Newbs like myself are asking.

2) Experienced hobbyists are defending.

3) Breeders are promoting.

How many of you want to challenge these statements, and care to counter - despite the statistical and mathematical proof offered by the statistics behind the responses to this thred ?

I recognize I'm going to tick off a lot of ppl here; so be it, cuz I'm not one to shy away from conflict, at the cost of blindness.

Discus-Hans
03-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Enough is enough. Wake up and grow some insight:

1) Newbs like myself are asking.

2) Experienced hobbyists are defending.

3) Breeders are promoting.

How many of you want to challenge these statements, and care to counter - despite the statistical and mathematical proof offered by the statistics behind the responses to this thred ?

I recognize I'm going to tick off a lot of ppl here; so be it, cuz I'm not one to shy away from conflict, at the cost of blindness.

You don't tick me off, because don't even have an idea what your question now exact is, or was it just a statement?????

Hans

darkknight87
03-13-2010, 03:24 AM
Personally, I do not think any of the breeders or distributors lie about shipping costs because I can often get the same quotes from many differant distributors. Shipping is a high expense..just walk into your post office, that doesnt even ship live fish and look at how much a box that weighs a couple of pounds cost to ship overnight. Its not cheap at all..and most fish boxes weigh anywhere from 5 to 20 lbs depending on how many you order. And thats just the price to ship it..alot of times the breeders and distributors are eating the cost of the supplies..the styrafoam boxes, cardboard boxes, bags , ect that all cost money when you are trying to ship something.

Give them a break..its not their fault how much things cost to ship.

Willie
03-14-2010, 09:05 AM
I still think we're missing the point here. Cost and price are totally different things.

How much did it cost to create the latest World of Warcraft? Is it related to the selling price? NO How much does it cost to produce a can of Coke? How much do you pay for it in a hotel vending machine? Price is unrelated to cost, totally related to perceived value.

If I have a source of great discus, I'm going to charge an arm and a leg for it. If people think my fish are great, they're going to clean me out. If they do, I'm going to raise prices. If my fish don't sell at the price, I'm going to drop prices to move them.

It happens that producing high quality discus IS a lot more expensive than producing high quality guppies. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to add a much higher premium on top of the cost of production to sell my fish.

Remember the old saying, "if something sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true"? That applies to discus as well. Trust me, I've been there.

Willie

afriend
03-14-2010, 10:13 PM
I still think we're missing the point here. Cost and price are totally different things.

How much did it cost to create the latest World of Warcraft? Is it related to the selling price? NO How much does it cost to produce a can of Coke? How much do you pay for it in a hotel vending machine? Price is unrelated to cost, totally related to perceived value.

If I have a source of great discus, I'm going to charge an arm and a leg for it. If people think my fish are great, they're going to clean me out. If they do, I'm going to raise prices. If my fish don't sell at the price, I'm going to drop prices to move them.

It happens that producing high quality discus IS a lot more expensive than producing high quality guppies. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to add a much higher premium on top of the cost of production to sell my fish.

Remember the old saying, "if something sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true"? That applies to discus as well. Trust me, I've been there.

Willie

Nice piece Willie. I don't know much about Discus, other than I have a show tank and have been keeping them alive and healthy for a few years now. However, I do know something about trying to make a living at running a small business. The majority of the public hasn't a clue at what it takes to make a go of it. They think that all it takes is to charge any price for the product that they want, and that all the owner has to do is sit back and rake in the huge profits. HA, let anyone who has this opinion just take the chance and come up with the initial investment, work long and hard hours, worry about all the unforseen problems and unplanned roadblocks and expenses, and then see if they still have the opinion about how easy it is to get rich. Like I said, I don't know much about the discus business, but there's one thing I do know about. If there is an open and free market (free from all the government crap), the buyer is king and sets the price of what can sold.

Discus are ultimally sold to hobbiest like myself. Discus are not a necessity and as such the competition for the buyers places the sellers at a disadvantage. I rather suspect that there are few sellers getting rich at it and one of the major advantages doing it is they enjoy discus and meeting people who enjoy them.

Paul

Willie
03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
... Discus are not a necessity and as such the competition for the buyers places the sellers at a disadvantage. I rather suspect that there are few sellers getting rich at it and one of the major advantages doing it is they enjoy discus and meeting people who enjoy them.

Paul

I remember going to a stereo store 30 years ago with my mother to buy a top of the line cassette deck. My mother almost fainted when the salesman quoted the price. She asked him "Who needs such an expensive deck?" I still remember his answer. "No one needs a cassette deck at all."

I think sellers are at more of a disadvantage selling necessities vs luxuries, like discus. That's why Hyundais are so cheap and Lamborghinis so expensive. Not sure anyone would pay more than $25/lb for smoked salmon, while adult Albino Pearl Diamonds go for $495 a piece.

Willie

April
03-21-2010, 02:03 PM
great discussion. when you first start the hobby..you start low..and think wow..i just spent 100 bucks for 4 little fish.....as time goes on...and you want that one..or that one..or that strain..and higher quality....the more you reason with yourself that thats all ok to spend that kind of money. it is a hobby..and i know me..id spend it on the discus as thats what i want more than anything else. i let other things go..i dont go to malls..dont spend on other trivial things.
i do sell..and i need to have prices at both ends. lower priced strains for beginners or people who cant buy the high end ones..and some higher end ones for the ones who must have that one. those ones i only really buy what i know i have requests for. too much to have there with no buyers. of course i like them..but i also cant afford to hold onto high priced stock. but when they are there..i enjoy them immensely.

Acro
03-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Hey Kid,
When you get a little older and go to college you will learn economics 101,
Supply vs. Demand.
;)

GlennR
03-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Cause there're "Addictive".

ZX10R
03-25-2010, 10:21 AM
WOW!!!! I tried to read all 8 pages here but my eyes got crossed up ;) I am new to the hobby and I do agree these fish cost more then the average fish. But if they were cheap fish you would see them in every lfs like other fish. The town I live in has only two lfs and I have asked both why they don't stock discus and they both told me the same reason to hard to keep alive and no one wants to buy a $50 fish when they can sell 6 fish for $2 a piece. Basically they don't have the time to do WC and feed and care for them as much as someone like me same reason not everyone out there has a ferrari sitting in there garage. And I have seen first hand a good quality fish and a cheap crappy fish (I should know I have bought both) not saying lfs have low quality they can just sell cheaper fish faster then they can move expensive fish. I don't understand why people complain about the price of these fish. I have a motorcycle and have been riding for 15 yrs and I have been thinking about selling my bike to pay for my honeymoon. So I have been looking at what people are selling my style bike for and I have seen prices from $3,500 to $10,000. And to me discus are no different just because someone is selling a fish for $15 or $500 doesn't mean you have to complain about there price just don't buy it. I would bet the bike that is $3,500 has some type of damage to it so I tend to buy in the upper range of price because most of the time it is of better quality and has been taking care of just like fish. My brother is into freshwater stingrays and has about 12 rays ranging from 6" diameter to about 14" diameter now if you want to talk about a expensive aquarium hobby that is one. Go to aquabid.com I have seen someone on there selling a pair of black rays staring bid was $9,000. If you don't like the price of the hobby find another one it is that simple :D

gwrace
03-29-2010, 02:38 PM
[/QUOTE]My brother is into freshwater stingrays and has about 12 rays ranging from 6" diameter to about 14" diameter now if you want to talk about a expensive aquarium hobby that is one. Go to aquabid.com I have seen someone on there selling a pair of black rays staring bid was $9,000. If you don't like the price of the hobby find another one it is that simple :D[/QUOTE]

For that price I'd go catch them myself...:D

alan j t
03-29-2010, 06:32 PM
i wish i could catch my own discus,
but the trip alone would cost me an arm an a leg;-)

hedut
03-29-2010, 06:44 PM
i wish i could catch my own discus,
but the trip alone would cost me an arm an a leg;-)

You can just go to someone hatchery :p:p:p:p:p:p

kitykatfunkiehat
04-28-2010, 11:58 PM
I like the "You get what you pay for" statement for most goods. I feel that discus apply to this as well.

Edit: Also, the OP on here legitimately offended me with this statement, once I went back to the first page:

I don't understand why people feel the need to bash other's hobbies and opinions when it isn't suitable for themselves or they don't properly understand it. I just feel like, if I were the OP, I wouldn't even bother asking if everything lead me to believe I couldn't understand the appeal or afford the hobby, you know?

jballauer
04-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Beauty increases demand and demand increases the price! And they are beautiful!

jballauer
04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Oh, and the challenge of it makes it even more worth it.

terps
11-11-2010, 12:21 AM

Willie

Excellent post.

Tito
11-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Discus - like any other drug will cost you dearly.

So far - I have not been addicted so the drug dealer has not enslaved me. I use Discus as a vice but I am not dependant on it.

Plus I am now making my own product in my lab. So now I don't even need the guy in the corner.

Live and direct from the South Bronx - Discus ghetto talk 101.

It is possible that if this drug gets out of control - we may begin seeing Discus anonymous clinics opening up.

Skip
11-11-2010, 11:54 AM
for that few months.. have been growing out about 30 from fry to juvies.. it takes lots of time, patience, wc, food and care.. so hell yea! buying a 3-4-5-6 in fish is going to cost.. they ain't know freaking guppies!!!

so there will be cost ADDED to the sale.. its simple economics.. :thumbsup:

Tito
11-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Because they are the most colorful freshwater fish you can keep in your aquarium. They rival the color of Marine fish for a fraction of the cost in stock, equipement and maintenance.

So that's why you can charge so much for Discus.

peterhql
11-22-2010, 04:25 PM
... why are they so cheap?...

;)

Skip
11-22-2010, 04:26 PM
... why are they so cheap?...

;)

:) no kidding

uberdave
11-23-2010, 07:03 PM
well i used to pay more than a few thousand bucks for a dumb asian arowana, discus is much a better bargain if you ask me. if you buy an adult discus you prob pay for what you get. asian arowanas, they call it super red which means yellow or light orange in color and the few thousand bucks, well that is for a "6 juvi asian arowana thats only a few months old. you have no idea how it will turn out. discus is hard work and high maintenance, but the beauty and certainty of the fish when bought as adults, well its a great bargain. you pay for what you get.