PDA

View Full Version : Finally sold the reef tank!

tcmemphisbbq
02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Finally after a few weeks of emails asking me to part it out, found a buyer that is gonna buy the whole reef setup.... already placed a bid on a 75 setup for discus -

Plan is to turn the 75 into a dual breeder, seperated by poret foam. Will run 2 HOB filters and 2 sponge filters with air, one on each side of the foam.

Gonna set it up, use my existing water during a WC from the 125 to fill about half the tank, the other half fresh to get a cycle on the sponges and biowheels going....

How long after I setup, since i am seeding, do you think until I can move some pairs over from the community tank? or since I do HUGE WC's (80% avg) does it even matter? -

Should I go ahead and put the spong filters in my existing community tank to get them seeded?

Can't wait :) They are picking it up Saturday, hoping to get the 75 Monday, Maybe sunday -

Also sold it for enough I FINALLY can get a Flechen and Cobalt from Hans! - YAY :bounce2:

Jhhnn
02-04-2010, 10:25 PM
If you're confident in the health of your existing community tank, I think you're on a solid path. Wrt seeding sponge filters, just putting them in the community tank will speed the process. You can speed that up by siphoning off a bucketfull of detritus and water from the existing tank, squeezing the new sponges in and out several times in that. It'll load them with bacteria and food for the bacteria all at the same time... biowheels might benefit from the same treatment- dunno, never used 'em...

Test the water quality in the new tank often, be prepared to do whatever is necessary to keep it right.

Got Prime? You may need it...

tcmemphisbbq
02-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Oh yeah keep plenty of prime, I do 2 60-80% wc per week on the 125 hehe.