PDA

View Full Version : Tank Kill !

caparzo
02-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Lost Sickboy and the Alancer last night.. and the 3 sepea tetras, and a flying fox.. messed with my PH and fried them to a crisp. I took readings from my big tank and assumed because I used the same tap water that my ph must be high also in my QT tank... dumb, dumb, dumb.. I only used a fraction of ph down (seachems) that I used in the big tank.. (which hasn't moved that much and will get another treatment tonight) And this morning they were all white and my ph level was below 5.. Live and learn, and never mess with your ph until you get a base reading.. what was I thinking???

underwaterforest
02-05-2010, 01:03 PM
So sorry to hear about your fish deaths caparzo that sucks.

I just lost my favorite clown loach (LT) last night due to some sort of gill problem (rapid breathing and no reponse to medications). I think I drove LT over the edge with a salt dip but he was pretty bad off.

kaceyo
02-05-2010, 05:11 PM
That really sucks. The pH of your tap water and the pH of your tanks are two different things. You need to measure each. Each tank is different too.
Also, NEVER add pH adjusting chemicals to water with fish in it. The rapid change is very hard on them even if you don't fry them by adding too much.
If you must add pH adjusters, which I don't reccomend, do it in a seperate container and add the water to the fish tank when pH has stabilized.

Kacey

brewmaster15
02-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Thats a real bummer.:( Can I ask what your pH is that you feel you need to lower it?
-al

Eddie
02-05-2010, 08:37 PM
If you must add pH adjusters, which I don't reccomend, do it in a seperate container and add the water to the fish tank when pH has stabilized.

Kacey

+1

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Eddie

dogfish101
02-06-2010, 07:42 AM
i know how it is ! i allways get these brain storms and i mean storms because everything gets blown away! sorry about your loss !

Don Trinko
02-06-2010, 11:30 AM
IMO; Every attempt I have made at changing ph has failed. The ph always goes back to it's previous level. (Because of the buffering in the water)
In the last 10 years I have not attempted to change ph. I'm happier and so are the fish. Unless your breeding or you have an extreem ph it's better to leave it alone. All IMO; Don T.

Scribbles
02-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Sorry to hear about your losses. What is the PH of your tap and tanks? IMO keeping a stable PH is more important than the actual number unless it is extreme. Also, if you MUST add a PH adjuster mix it in another container and pour it into the tank.

Chris