PDA

View Full Version : Aqueon Water Changer

underwaterforest
02-05-2010, 02:48 PM
OK this week I decided to get a water changer since everybody seemed to be raving about them on all the fish forums. What I found out when I bought it was their ugly truth, they don't work worth a damn, at least compared to my old method of using a hose to start a siphon. The only thing that I liked about the water changer was the not having to fill the hose up to start a siphon, that was a nice feature. I'm not sure if my problems are due to my low water pressure, but wasting water to achieve half the flow rate of a gravity feed hose seems a little backwards to me. So far to make the water changer a little better I remove the spreader tip and place it into the bath tub like I used to do with the good old hose and it works alright, slow but alright. My drainage rate with the water changer is probably half or less than just using a 5/8" hose but I guess the convenience of having the valves to stop and start flow is nice. Overall I would say that these water changing devices are a waste of money and if I had it to do over again I probably would just get some valves for my food grade hose and call it done. Plus the suction in my bare bottom tank with the water changer is so low that I have to revert to a small piece of hose just to remove all the particles on the floor of the aquariums.

Maybe I am just too fast paced and the water changer will start to grow on me, but I doubt it.

Cooldadddyfunk286
02-05-2010, 04:37 PM
well when I bought my python, I did feel alittle bit the same as you do. I didnt like the pace, or wasting water. but its totally better than hauling 5 gal buckets like I did b4 I got it. my water bill isnt too happy tho.:o

underwaterforest
02-05-2010, 05:38 PM
but its totally better than hauling 5 gal buckets like I did b4 I got it.

I would have to agree, it sure beats the buckets. I guess I have to get used to the water changer's slower more zen like pace, at least that what my girlfriend keeps telling me.

David Rose
02-05-2010, 05:55 PM
I had the same problem, so I no longer hook it to the sink. I use it with gravity long enough to do a thorough vacuum then replace the vacuum with a 500G power head and it drains the remaining water within 10 minutes. ;)

Jhhnn
02-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Not that it'll help with bottom siphoning, but Jehmco markets a safety siphon that's compatible with pythons. Once the bottom crud is sucked away, switch to the safety siphon to pump the rest of the water away quickly, then refill with the python... Check it out, or make something similar on your own.

I use powerheads permanently installed in the tanks for drainage, the same for siphons, because of the way my fish room/ study is set up. It's not very ornamental. They're all plumbed to a drain in the cellar. The extra vertical fall for the siphon action lets things progress very quickly...

I think there's a place in the market for a battery powered bottom cleaner/ pump attachment for pythons and similar. Not junk, but something with a good strong pump using the same kind of batteries as cordless tools... Slurp!

David Rose
02-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Yep, I bought the Jehmco Safety Siphon and it's collecting dust. I hooked up once and water squirted everywhere through one of the PVC joints. Just haven't bothered to silicone it just to have something that hangs on the tank. Since there essentially the same thing, I just use the power head plugged into a remote controlled outlet ( http://www.amazon.com/DSI-EZ-Outlet-Remote-Outlets/dp/B000EH8S9O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265482584&sr=8-4 ) and walk away with my remote control...LOL I also use a power switch on my sump pump and my water storage pump.

mcishaque
02-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I could not agree more. Python like devices' suction power are poor, and the wasted water also gnawed on my conscience also.

Here's my DYI fix.

See 1st pic for concept (red arrow = direction of water flow)

See second pic for joint/hookup.

See 3rd pic for application.

Pump used = cheap $40 underwater pond/fountain pump.

Also good to have a nice long 50 foot extension cord for the pump (read on, u'll understand why).

* connect 1-A and 1-B w/ parts as in 2nd pic w/ shutoff valve.
* connect 2-A and 2-B w/ parts as in 2nd pic w/ shutoff valve.
* place last shut off valve in position 3-A

Open all 3 valves. Place python/vacuum head under water as well as pump, start pump, and suck on 3-A end to get siphon primed;
don't worry - you'll only have to do this once in your lifetime.

When tank is mostly done draining, DO NOT pull python head out of water; instead close valves in the following order; the
order is important:
* close valve 3-A first
* close valve 1-A and 2-A after 3-A is closed

pull python head and pump out of water, try to leave as much water in python head as possible; note that siphon integrity is
still good because of seal between points 2-A and 3-A

put python head and pump in storage/sump barrel, and get air bubbles out of python head; move 3-A end to tank, and
make sure 3-A is under water; open valves in the
reverse order:
* 1-A and 2-A first
* 3-A last

now water is coming out of sump and out of end 3-A; if you followed instructions, no priming of siphon should have been necessary

open cold beer and drink profusely

when tank is full, close valve 3-A, move to sump barrel and open it back up; this same pump doubles to circulate the sump water

fill up sump barrel as you normally would

next, W/C close all valves, move python head and pump to fish tank (under water), open valve 1-A and 2-A before opening valve 3-A

this works well for me... 1 pump and one python, to drain + refill all my tanks + circulate sump water, no bucket lifting, and almost as good as a regular gravity siphon suction power