PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Filters

JL15219
02-07-2010, 12:31 AM
I am planning on setting up a 125 gallon tank with some driftwood and plants attached to the driftwood only like moss, anubias, java ferns, etc on substrate bare bottome....Well anyways I was thinking of using a sponge filter or two would that work or should I just buy a canister filter instead? I have never used a sponge filter in an aquarium so I have no experience with them..... so any input would be great
Thanks
Javier

Eddie
02-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Hey there Javier, sponge filters are great, very basic and they have a huge surface area for nitrifying bacteria. Some people have them in display tanks so its just a preference. You definitely don't need one but if you can hide one behind the driftwood, it could be beneficial. My personal preference, I would use a canister for a show tank.

Take care,

Eddie

Jhhnn
02-07-2010, 01:30 AM
I'm a believer in redundant systems, so I'd use both sponge filters and a canister filter... the same way I use heater controllers to operate heaters with their own internal thermostats... My airpump is plugged into an automatic battery backup, and I have a generator out in the shed if things get really silly...

JL15219
02-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Are the sponge filters as effective as a canister filter in regards to keeping the water clean? What would I use to power the sponge filter?

mmorris
02-07-2010, 01:15 PM
You just need an air pump and tubing for the sponge filter. I use bother canister and sponge on my big tanks. I think a canister is a more efficient mechanical filter, but both are efficient biological filters.

clairel
02-07-2010, 07:25 PM
is there one sponge filter that you would recommend? I am starting up my first discus tank in 30 years and lots of this stuff is new to me. (ok, most of it). Very exciting though and tons of fun. And may I just take a sec to congratulate and thank those of you who contribute daily to this site for the benefit of guys like me. Thank you! PS. my wife wants to know which one of you I will be living with.

Eddie
02-07-2010, 07:28 PM
is there one sponge filter that you would recommend? I am starting up my first discus tank in 30 years and lots of this stuff is new to me. (ok, most of it). Very exciting though and tons of fun. And may I just take a sec to congratulate and thank those of you who contribute daily to this site for the benefit of guys like me. Thank you! PS. my wife wants to know which one of you I will be living with.

Depends on the tank depth and the amount of units you want to run. The Fusion pumps are the most quiet IMO, and extremely strong output.

Eddie

mmorris
02-08-2010, 03:56 PM
PS. my wife wants to know which one of you I will be living with.

Can you fix things? ;)

Jhhnn
02-08-2010, 09:32 PM

I like the ATI hydro-3 sponge filters from Kensfish, one of our sponsors. I find the larger ones difficult to get out of the aquarium thru the glass top openings. I also use small airstones in the filters, below the bullseyes. They're a lot quieter with airstones. I used the clear chimneys for awhile, finally pitched 'em- the filters seem to work just as well without... I buy extra risers, set the filters up a little higher off the base to facilitate cleaning... I also use their prefilter sponges on canister and HOB filters, clean the prefilters regularly, rarely have to fuss with the canisters at all.

Don't be surprised if the sponges don't want to sink, at first, even after squeezing water in&out of them several times. Additional weight in the form of pebbles or steel balls can be put inside until they're thoroughly waterlogged...

A lot of this is difficult to explain, but easy to understand when you have the filter in your hands...

scottishbloke
02-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Javier,
I have a new 90g BB discus show tank set up just like you are describing- it has a large branchy driftwood feature with Anubias barteri var. "Nana" attached to it, which is slowly growing and will eventually completely cover the central "stump" part of the feature. I currently use an Eheim Pro I canister but it is inadequate for the job on this new bigger tank, so I am going to upgrade to a Pro III 2075 soon. Ideally I will also get a sponge filter attachment for the canister intake hose to get the best of both worlds, funds permitting- canisters are great for mechanical as well as bio filtration, and sponges are great biofilters too as others previously have said. As a side note, between 50 and 90% of the tank water surface is also quite thickly covered with Floating Water Sprite at any one time, which grows very fast, is great at helping maintain water quality, and which I regularly sell to an LFS by the bagful to help support my hobby. Personally I like canisters, but again that is just my preference. Sponge, canister, or both together would work, and I am aiming for both. When I can get a decent tank shot, I will post a pic.

Just my 2 cents,

Colin

dbfzurowski
02-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Depends on the tank depth and the amount of units you want to run. The Fusion pumps are the most quiet IMO, and extremely strong output.

Eddie

I concur
over the years i've used a lot of brands and recently got fusion700, more then happy with it! Good output and very quiet! I use it on 3 tanks and its turned down for minimum output and the bursting bubles are louder then the pump. Kensfish has them, really cheap 2

JL15219
02-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks for all the info on sponge filters, but now I have another question. I have been reading how great wet dry filters are. I wanted to try a DIY wet dry filter...anyone have any experience with one on a discus tanks?

alpine
02-11-2010, 03:52 PM

dbfzurowski
02-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks for all the info on sponge filters, but now I have another question. I have been reading how great wet dry filters are. I wanted to try a DIY wet dry filter...anyone have any experience with one on a discus tanks?

hey,
if i had the space i'd do w/d on all my tanks. Make sure you design it so that when the power goes out the water from your tank doesn't drain through your pump outlet. Also not 2 use to big of a pump as discus prefer less current tanks from what i've read. I think ther are more beneficial as you can fit a lot more bio-media, which doesn't necessarily mean less water changes :)

JL15219
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
hey,
if i had the space i'd do w/d on all my tanks. Make sure you design it so that when the power goes out the water from your tank doesn't drain through your pump outlet. Also not 2 use to big of a pump as discus prefer less current tanks from what i've read. I think ther are more beneficial as you can fit a lot more bio-media, which doesn't necessarily mean less water changes :)

Do you have any good diy w/d plans? How big of a pump would I use for a 125 gallon tank? I would use an overflow box for: when the power goes out the water from your tank doesn't drain through your pump outlet right?

dbfzurowski
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
i have some ideas, are you going with planted tank?

JL15219
02-11-2010, 09:03 PM
i have some ideas, are you going with planted tank?

My plans are for it to be bare bottom with driftwood and the only plants will be whatever I put on the driftwood(anubias, java fern, moss, etc) :D

dbfzurowski
02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
ok,
i only have one working hand so give me a couple of days, i got lost of ideas :)
also, your tank is going to be on a stand? inside a wall? do you plan on having your stuff under the tank or in a space/room behind it. Do you need to age your water? do you have a storage tank to preheat the water?
also are you handy with power tools? :)

Jhhnn
02-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Good discussion of DIY sump filters here-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=76784

It's extremely important to include an anti-siphon feature on the pump return to tank. I drill a 1/4" hole in the pipe, above the overflow drain-down level but below the normal running water level. When I shut off the pump for water changes, the hole breaks the siphon as the tank water level goes down to the height of the overflow... and the sump water level rises...

JL15219
02-11-2010, 11:31 PM
ok,
i only have one working hand so give me a couple of days, i got lost of ideas :)
also, your tank is going to be on a stand? inside a wall? do you plan on having your stuff under the tank or in a space/room behind it. Do you need to age your water? do you have a storage tank to preheat the water?
also are you handy with power tools? :)

Yes it will be on a stand, it will be under the stand, no I do not need to age water, no storage tank to preheat water, I have no powertools :o

JL15219
02-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Good discussion of DIY sump filters here-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=76784

It's extremely important to include an anti-siphon feature on the pump return to tank. I drill a 1/4" hole in the pipe, above the overflow drain-down level but below the normal running water level. When I shut off the pump for water changes, the hole breaks the siphon as the tank water level goes down to the height of the overflow... and the sump water level rises...

Cool thanks I will check it out :D