PDA

View Full Version : PH & Crushed Coral

joanr
02-07-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm having our yearly water softens up problem again and don't remember what I used to do about this. The PH is @ 7.5 after 24hrs in storage and by next day at same time it's down to 7 or so in the tank. Haven't changed anything in the filters etc.. So I'm thinking Crushed Coral, but should I put it in the storage barrel or in the filter? In the barrel it would raise the Ph higher I think, but also boost the soft water's KH so it would stay stable better in the tank during the 24hrs before a w/c? Or in the filter? Does it matter??

brewmaster15
02-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Joan,
I use it in a nylon stocking that I place in my aquaclear filters on the tanks where I have high stocking densities... water needs to move thru it.... it doesn't take much to add some KH ...I use about 1 cup per 55 gal tank,...best to start small and measure the pH and KH... I like my growouts to be in the low 7's..just personal preference for me.
hth,
al

joanr
02-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks Al, that's where I put it but only used 1/3 cup to start. Will have to adjust accordingly. This would happen twice each year around here in the past and I thought the utility company had fixed the problem, but guess not, it's now barely at 2Kh.