PDA

View Full Version : I know your all probably sick of this, but...

Cowillaggn
02-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Hi,
I have a custom 185 gallon tank with a 35 gallon sump and UV canister filter.
I has been established for about 9 months and the fish include:
2 potamotrygon motoro (7" each.)
1 discus (4")
1 Silver Arowana (8"), he'll be moving to an indoor pond when he grows.
All of these fish are very tame and never bother one another, infact, the arowana and discus are great friends.

If my local pet shop is selling other 4" discus, how many more do you think I could get? How likely is it I get a breeding pair out of this? If I want to breed them, should I just buy a proven pair?

The breeding tank would be a bare bottom 37 gallon tank with a sponge filter.

Thanks for your time!!!:):):)

dbfzurowski
02-09-2010, 01:23 AM
hi and welcome.
its 10gal/1discus so you can fit couple more :) I would highly recommend you go take a look at some of the sponsors here, you'll find some great quality fish!

Scribbles
02-09-2010, 05:32 AM
Personally I would move the Arrowana. Is the tank bare bottom or planted?

Chris

Cowillaggn
02-09-2010, 09:43 AM
The 185 gallon tank is planted and the 37 is bare.

Jhhnn
02-09-2010, 04:56 PM
In my limited experience, I've come to the conclusion that the amounts of food required to properly grow out sub adult discus are basically incompatible with planted tank scenarios, unless you're willing to invest in the kind of setups Chad Hughes employs, or if you're willing to spend a huge amount of time doing maintenance. Growing out is really an inefficient process, requiring amounts of food that would make ordinary aquarists blanche. The effect would be less pronounced at 20gals/fish, but it's still there.

If you're willing to go the expense, I'd suggest obtaining a school of eight to ten 5"+ discus from one of our sponsors. I'd even recommend that they all be of one variety, siblings who've spent their whole lives together. It minimizes aggression, and increases the chances of ultimately having pairs that will produce desirable offspring. Discus definitely do best in groups of 5 or more, and your lfs would have to be truly exceptional to even approach the price and quality. I've only dealt with Kenny Cheung, and recommend him highly. Call him on the phone, talk it over. He's a great guy who offers top quality fish and impeccable service.

mmorris
02-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm not convinced you have enough room for the stingrays alone.

Cowillaggn
02-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Well the tank is only 16" tall with a massive footprint.