PDA

View Full Version : Interesting salt read

rickztahone
02-09-2010, 02:49 PM
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/koipond/salting_fish.html

Rod
02-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Load of rubbish imo, salt has its place in aquaria. Trust a medication company to come up with this sort of propaganda.

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm007

Who you gonna trust?

In regards to the FishFarmacy.com post, I can understand the osmotic pressure situation entirely. However what they dont seem to say is at what levels is it harmful and what exposure time? Kinda makes it seem like salt is evil all the way around from their point of view...There is a huge difference between the use and misuse of salt. Sensitive species like tetras for example dont handle salt very well due to their primative osmoregulatory systems. That is typically a big killer for those types of fish when passing through transhippers/wholesalers. They put them in a system and salt em heavily. It isnt unusual to lose almost half of a shipment of tetras through the over-use of salt (or high conductivity water for that matter). It's all about the proper use of salt...

-Ryan

Spardas
02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I think we should look at it at a different perspective and see that both articles are trying to tell us something.

With regards to what we administer, we have to be more careful and have a deeper understanding of the product and its benefits and harms. The article from fishyfarmacy doesn't really attack "proper" usage of salt and repeatedly say that an overdose will be lethal.

So, the moral of the story is to think carefully and manage the products we administer to our livestock carefully and do proper research before jumping the gun.

Eddie
02-09-2010, 08:23 PM

Who you gonna trust?

In regards to the FishFarmacy.com post, I can understand the osmotic pressure situation entirely. However what they dont seem to say is at what levels is it harmful and what exposure time? Kinda makes it seem like salt is evil all the way around from their point of view...There is a huge difference between the use and misuse of salt. Sensitive species like tetras for example dont handle salt very well due to their primative osmoregulatory systems. That is typically a big killer for those types of fish when passing through transhippers/wholesalers. They put them in a system and salt em heavily. It isnt unusual to lose almost half of a shipment of tetras through the over-use of salt (or high conductivity water for that matter). It's all about the proper use of salt...

-Ryan

Definitely one of my go to articles. ;)

yim11
02-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I find it interesting that their Nitrofuracin Green powder and Parinox products both contain salt as an ingredient...

rickztahone
02-10-2010, 12:59 AM
all i know is that i did a salt dip once on my AF and it made him/her better.

Scribbles
02-10-2010, 05:44 AM
I think that they have a point as far as overdosing but other than that I think that they are just peddling their products.

Chris

kaceyo
02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I agree with Chris. Their wording seems designed to scare people away and that's the main theme in the article. They barely touch upon the benifits of salt, like they were reluctant to put it in at all, but felt they had to, or lose credibility.
How many times have you heard about people damaging their fish with an overdose of salt compared to the times folks have damaged their fish with the meds sold specificly for fish?

Kacey

David Rose
02-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I tend to take what I read with a "grain of salt" :D and continue to research other perspectives for consistency and credible support; otherwise, it's all just opinion. ;) Good, bad, or indifferent!

ShinShin
02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I have claimed for years that salt is the most abused chemical in the disease sections of discus forums. It is no different than misusing any other chemical. While it has its palce, it should be used as a dip or short (that's short) term bath. Both articles have merits, but as noted in the second, it talks about dips, not dumping a ton of salt into the tank for a week.

Mat

nc0gnet0
02-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Salt should be treated just as anyother medication. It's is not a cure all, nor should it be added on a 24/7/365 basis. All that will accomplish is to develope salt resistant strains of bacteria.

I get a kick out of there very bad example of an infected fish (saltwater) swimming into freshwater to rid itself of parasites. While the fact that this happens is true, there explanation of why is so far off I have to discredit the entire article as propaganda.........

Justice
02-13-2010, 12:59 PM
I tend to take what I read with a "grain of salt" :D and continue to research other perspectives for consistency and credible support; otherwise, it's all just opinion. ;) Good, bad, or indifferent!ROTFL !!! I love the pun .... LOL :D