PDA

View Full Version : Rounded face in juveniles?

TheJohnner
02-09-2010, 09:46 PM
I was reading somewhere here that the "ideal" discus will have a more rounded facial appearance. Is this true for the juveniles too? Do they grow into it? My juvies aren't exactly "round faced"......but I like them all the same!:)

dbfzurowski
02-09-2010, 09:51 PM
hey,
i'm no expert but i can tell you that rounder head looks nicer:). also if the head is caved in it might be a sign that the fish is stunt.

Eddie
02-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Andrew Soh explains his first book, the ideal forehead shape for juvenile discus. The curved forehead is one form that is mentioned and the straight forehead is considered the most desirable, at least for competition anyways. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

keef
02-09-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm a bit of a shape fanatic, and one thing I've have learned is that juvie body form often tends toward a more triangular shape with minimal curvature of the head (often almost a straight line from beginning of dorsal fin to mouth) Before I really knew much about Discus this used to put me off a bit because I thought they would retain this shape into adulthood. However it often happens that the head becomes more rounded as the fish grow larger. So if your fish have flat faces chances are they'll become more rounded as they grow.

Eddie
02-09-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm a bit of a shape fanatic, and one thing I've have learned is that juvie body form often tends toward a more triangular shape with minimal curvature of the head (often almost a straight line from beginning of dorsal fin to mouth) Before I really knew much about Discus this used to put me off a bit because I thought they would retain this shape into adulthood. However it often happens that the head becomes more rounded as the fish grow larger. So if your fish have flat faces chances are they'll become more rounded as they grow.

Definitely!

TheJohnner
02-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Alright, thanks! I will post some pics soon.