PDA

View Full Version : Frozen black mosquito larvae

antpal01
02-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Hi everyone, is anyone feeding this? I've heard rumors that they may be polluted like tubifex. Is this true? Is anyone feeding them? Should I avoid them?

thx in advance for sharing your experience/ knowledge.
Ant

Billy Vu
02-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Hi,

I feed frozen mosiquito larvae. My discus seem fine. I think feeding any kind of dry or frozen food is fine, but watch out for tubifex worms or any live foods for that matter. On occasion I will feel live black worms, but I usually buy one portion and do it in all in one feeding. However, in the past where I bought large portions, I made sure to rinse and add new water to the container they came in.

Cheers,
Billy

LizStreithorst
02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Wait 'till spring, grow your own and feed live! It's the only food I've ever seen Discus prefer to CBWs

Joe
02-10-2010, 01:09 PM
I've fed it before, discus loved it. It induced spawning also. I can't seem to find it in any LFS since I relocated.

Joe

William Palumbo
02-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I've used it years ago and the Discus loved it. But like Liz said...try the live and they go nuts over it. When I used to culture it, the Discus were breeding like mad. It really did them good. Tho not really suppose to culture it in the city. Shhhh!!...Bill

antpal01
02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
thanks, everyone. will try these and let you know how the fish accept them.
thx,
Ant

moik
02-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Did you have any issues about any hitch hikers or disease brought on with using live mosq. larva??? Very interested in trying this when the weather breaks ..
I've used it years ago and the Discus loved it. But like Liz said...try the live and they go nuts over it. When I used to culture it, the Discus were breeding like mad. It really did them good. Tho not really suppose to culture it in the city. Shhhh!!...Bill

LizStreithorst
02-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I never have never had any problems. I don't collect them from the wild. I grow them nyself. Don't know what William does.

If you want to culture these put a piece of watermellon rind in a container outside. No aeration.

William Palumbo
02-10-2010, 06:50 PM
The only "hitchhikers" I had were live bloodworms...which is fine by me! I just used a plastic trash can, filled with water and some fresh cut grass...is all it takes to bring them in. Just lateley in Chicago, they frown down on that because of West Nile Disease...Wich is why I had not done it for a couple years. Maybe this year...Bill

LizStreithorst
02-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I forgot about that, Bill. I get the occasional live blood worm as well. I think lucky me and lucky fish!

ShinShin
02-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Frozen black mosquito larvae are usually bloodworms.

Mat

fishorama
02-15-2010, 05:49 PM
My frozen black Mosquito larva is smaller than bloodworms, brine shrimp size. Is it younger larvae?

Cooldadddyfunk286
02-15-2010, 06:16 PM
I hate mosquitos so much that I cant imagine harvesting my own!! LOL. you just feed them the larvae before they actually turn into mosquitos right? I suppose thats OK by me LOL. I bet I could pull it off easy during the summer around here. it gets super muggy, and you can find these little guys growing in any puddle, natural or man made lol.

William Palumbo
02-15-2010, 06:29 PM
LOL...Yes Jason, you feed them BEFORE they turn into a winged pest...Bill

LizStreithorst
02-15-2010, 06:35 PM
If you see ones with a big head they are just about to go free flying.

kaceyo
02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
About to go "free flying" Liz? Is that the technical term?;)

Kacey

Jason K.
02-16-2010, 09:23 PM
i can't wait till spring, so many sqitoe's in my area should be able to feed these guy's all year long...lol...