PDA

View Full Version : SUPER rare Wilds from Oliver at Below Water

dalejordan
02-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi all,

As most of you know, I'm on a tenacious quest for QUALITY wilds. As I've said in my previous posts.... I'll be focusing on some 'retro' lines and some KILLER F1 wilds.

So I felt I should let you all know I'm expecting some SUPER rare fish from one of the best out there. Oliver Lucanus from Below Water is sending me some KILLER specimens destine to arrive tomorrow at around 4pm my time.

http://belowwaterfish.blogspot.com/

Pictured in Oliver's blog are YOUNG fish from one of the most exciting, new collection areas, The Lago Solomon. Also pictured are Tefe, Nhamunda, Cuipuea and Inanu !! All fish have just come out a bag and will need time to color up !!

The season is NOW people !! If your looking for wilds, now's the time to do it !!!

Will keep you all posted

Eddie
02-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Oh man Dale, I am as excited as you are! More discus from the Lago Solomon area!!! I cannot wait for some pictures once they settle in.

All the best and definitely keep us updated!

Eddie

dalejordan
02-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Oh man Dale, I am as excited as you are! More discus from the Lago Solomon area!!! I cannot wait for some pictures once they settle in.

All the best and definitely keep us updated!

Eddie

Thanks buddy,

Yep, these Lago Solomon fish are something else. I just wish the North American public knew more about them !! As these fish mature, they develop beautiful mahogany base colors and most will become a full royal pattern with a Heckle bar. The exciting thing about these fish is that it's an isolated population ( NOT a cross between a heckle and a blue ).So, this makes the fifth bar in this population FIXED and will not be lost in successive spawns like Heckle crosses from other areas. As a breeder, this is VERY exciting to retain the fifth bar in future generations !!

How are your Solomon crosses comin along ? The last I've seen ...VERY NICE !!!

Eddie
02-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Thats very interesting! I wonder how mine will turn out, since they are a cross with a domestic turquoise. The Turq has some decent wild traits though, distinct black ring and the shape. I'd like to keep my group going, without crossing to other domestics. Alot of work but well worth it I think.

My LS Xs are doing great! I actually noticed the pronounced 5th bar in them. I wondered how they picked it up. Guess its in there genes. I love this group and can't wait to see your beauty's!

All the best and take care,

Eddie

Richy44
02-11-2010, 03:45 AM
I haven't purchased from Oliver yet but I think it may be time.. I just sent him an email to see what he has..

Thanks for the post dalejordan. I get his newsletter every 2 weeks but he doesn't list his discus that often..

Rick

ShinShin
02-11-2010, 03:47 AM
Good luck with the fish, Dale. In an email from Oliver in mid-January, he told me he was only bring in 44 fish to N.A. this year, all preordered. I am getting 5 fish from him as well, no Solomons. They'll arrive in the States Friday morning. I am looking forward to receiving them.

Mat

erikc
02-11-2010, 04:11 AM
Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us your renewed enthusiasm.

I can hardly wait for some pictures of your new fish.

It's a pleasure to read your posts and I look forward to every one of them, thanks again !

Scribbles
02-11-2010, 06:18 AM
Can't wait for pics of what you get!

Chris

mench
02-11-2010, 02:52 PM
I wish there was a shipper near me that could get Olivers fish...I would love to set up a 125 wild tank...I LOVE those red Cuipuea and the red spotted greens...I sent a note to Oliver about his fish,but since I am not an importer I don't think I can get them...so if anyone near me can get them in let me know...sorry to hijack your thread Dale...be sure to post pics when your fish come in

Mench

ShinShin
02-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Mench,

All I needed to do was arrange for the USF&W to inspect the shipment when it arrives. You can bring in fish from Canada for self this way, but not for resale if you are a retailer or wholesaler.

Mat

Bilbo_wh
02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
They look awsome. Cant wait for pics.

I am another wild fan so congrats on what looks like a fantastic fish.

dalejordan
02-12-2010, 12:28 AM
It's 10pm central time and they are finally in the tank :-)

One thing I must say, Oliver knows how to ship !!! No scratches, no fin burn, NOTHING wrong with any fish !!!

Solomon:

These are going to be something else !!! I have NEVER, EVER seen a body shape like these fish. I want to say "high body", but when I say that my first mental image is of modern Frankenstein Bulldog ..... this is not the case. For lack of better words, they are virtually perfect nose to tail with a tendency to be slightly higher dorsal to anal....I cant describe it properly :-) Would kick butt in ANY conformity competition hands down !!!

Another very important note about these fish that I neglected to mention is their ability for SIZE ! Monster eight to nine inch specimens are not uncommon from this area, so as a rule, they are simply a "large fish" population ! My fish for example are still very young with tiny eyes that would resemble a seven month old hybrid, yet these fish are already 5 inches plus !! So, it is only a matter of time as the body deepens into the red tones, the striations start to fill in into the mid body and the heckle bar is haloed by the body striations....WOW !!

Cuipuea:

Man....I'm tired :-) Been a long day. To sum it up....Perfect EVERYTHING !!!!!!!! Shape is pristine, body color is already showing the red undertones and I'm looking at a few young males that may give me a 40% striation pattern as they mature.....VERY NICE

Going to bed now. Will try to get some pictures up once they settle in !!

Eddie
02-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Fantastic news Dale! I know what you mean when you say high body, almost like an Altum Flora but WILD.

I can't wait to see your pictures!

Take care,

Eddie

dalejordan
02-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Ok guys,

Here are a few pictures of the Solomon's. REMEMBER:
1. only 10hrs landed
2. VERY young...note the eye size, yet a five inch fish !!! LONG way to go for coloring up
3. look at that shape
4. I am not a photographer ...LOL . Took these in the dark :-)

I've also enclosed a picture of a full adult Solomon. It is huge !!!!

Elite Aquaria
02-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Dale,

Those are some fantastic looking fish...I may need to take a drive over to see Oliver in the future...Of course when my wife lets me buy that 200 gallon show tank...;)

ashaysathe
02-12-2010, 09:53 AM
WOW :bounce2::bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2:

wgtaylor
02-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Hey Dale, have to agree these are some of the best shaped wilds I've seen.
Interesting about the fifth bar on these, will be great to see how your breeding program works out. These are sure to give you a perfect start.
Awesome group. :)
Bill

MikeF
02-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Holy crap! Those are amazing. Really makes me want some wilds. Keep the pictures comming when you get some time.

jimmyjoe
02-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Wow, they sure are sweet looking, just as some already said it sure would be nice to have a transhipper here in the states. As far as USF&W is concerned, the closest to me is a 4 hour drive to Chicago in the midst of winter. Well hey that's life, they sure are nice though. Jim

kaceyo
02-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Very cool fish. The shapes are to die for and the one in the last pic is amazing. Good catch.

Kacey

Cooldadddyfunk286
02-12-2010, 04:49 PM
wow Dale, talk about a SCORE! :D those are amazing. man, you got some amazing wild stock to work with now, very nice my friend. I think the pics are great! dont be to hard on urself. ;)

take care my friend.

ShinShin
02-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Dale,

Fabulous fish. Good luck with them.

Mat

Kevin22
02-12-2010, 08:28 PM
man, I'm so jealous, when I start my heckel tank, I'll ask Oliver bring me some nice fish too. he's the best in Canada for sure

Eddie
02-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Outstanding Lago Solomon's Dale! Their shape is unmatched! Can't wait to see some fry from them in the future, and hopefully we can get some sent this way! ;)

All the best my friend and keep us updated.

Eddie

Jhhnn
02-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Very nice fish- very nice indeed. I'm not sure I even want to know what you paid for 'em.

How are your Japura greens doing, btw?

dalejordan
02-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Very nice fish- very nice indeed. I'm not sure I even want to know what you paid for 'em.

How are your Japura greens doing, btw?

Yep....not cheap :-(

The Japura are FANTASTIC !!! Actually starting to see pr bonding !!! Will try to get some pictures out tomorrow !

Did you get yourself any buddy ???

Eddie
02-12-2010, 10:37 PM

The Japura are FANTASTIC !!! Actually starting to see pr bonding !!! Will try to get some pictures out tomorrow !

Don't worry Dale, they couldn't have been more expensive then the new stock of Lago Solomon's that Watanabe brought in. The last fish down right hand side was sold at just under $3500 with the exchange rate. For one fish!

http://t-aquarium.com/shopbrand/068/O/

dalejordan
02-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Don't worry Dale, they couldn't have been more expensive then the new stock of Lago Solomon's that Watanabe brought in. The last fish down right hand side was sold at just under $3500 with the exchange rate. For one fish!

WOW...Kinda glad to be living here in the old USofCDN tee hee :-) I guess everything is relative though....isn't a tube of tooth paste $25.00 USD ? :-) Those fish all came from Oliver's station/supplier in Brazil. That batch looks a little older than mine...what you think ??

Eddie
02-12-2010, 11:48 PM
WOW...Kinda glad to be living here in the old USofCDN tee hee :-) I guess everything is relative though....isn't a tube of tooth paste $25.00 USD ? :-) Those fish all came from Oliver's station/supplier in Brazil. That batch looks a little older than mine...what you think ??

Yeah, things can be WAY pricey. The fish definitely look older than yours. Yours look better IMO, way better!

Take care,

Eddie

RD.
02-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Hey Dale,

Congrats on your new discus, very impressive specimens.
I can see now why you no longer have room for any Lepomis. :)

Neil

Jhhnn
02-13-2010, 12:29 AM

Hasn't happened- I'm still dithering, and I really have a lot of work to do to to set up more tanks... At the rate it's going, I might be ready about the time you have babies for sale...

rickztahone
02-13-2010, 03:07 AM
i must agree with everyone here and say WOW. awesome shape for wilds, some of the best i have ever seen, honestly.

mench
02-13-2010, 12:00 PM
YIKES $3500...Eddie is that US funds?? If so,how the heck can anybody pay that for one fish...Dale,sweet fish....good luck with the breeding....keep the pics coming.

Mench

Ed13
02-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Jealousy ensues Dale!!!:mad::D

Kinda happy you didn't find Wattley's line:o, now you have some killer wilds and an interesting future with these discus. Yes, I'm excited to see what you come up with;)

dalejordan
02-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Jealousy ensues Dale!!!:mad::D

Kinda happy you didn't find Wattley's line:o, now you have some killer wilds and an interesting future with these discus. Yes, I'm excited to see what you come up with;)

Oh, I found the Wattley line !! Working on getting it from Japan right now, plus I have the required back-crosses to strengthen ....please stay tuned ;-)

Will be working on a Wattley turq. , high end Red Turq. and offering F1's of the wild collection....I hope tee hee

Eddie
02-13-2010, 09:49 PM
YIKES $3500...Eddie is that US funds?? If so,how the heck can anybody pay that for one fish...Dale,sweet fish....good luck with the breeding....keep the pics coming.

Mench

Yes, US funds. The rich have there vises also.

Oh, I found the Wattley line !! Working on getting it from Japan right now, plus I have the required back-crosses to strengthen ....please stay tuned ;-)

Will be working on a Wattley turq. , high end Red Turq. and offering F1's of the wild collection....I hope tee hee

Dale, you know I am tuned in for those fry! Be something nice to cross into my group!

All the best,

Eddie

dalejordan
02-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Yes, US funds. The rich have there vises also.

Dale, you know I am tuned in for those fry! Be something nice to cross into my group!

All the best,

Eddie

As soon as it happens...they are yours :-)

daninthesand
02-14-2010, 03:03 AM
nice. btw IF you ever get some true Wattley turq's and have fry I just MIGHT get back into discus.

my last post on this forum was way back in 2007...so Dale, you have my attention...heh heh

Jhhnn
02-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Japanese have a different aesthetic than westerners, with unique wild beauty being very, very highly prized. I also think that aquaria are more popular in Japan, relatively speaking, because even wealthy Japanese often don't have the acreage required for other pets, like horses, for example. Even though they're highly westernized, Japanese values, culture and economy are unique, quite different from our own.

Not to mention how the currency exchange rate affects our perception...

MTH
02-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Those are beauties. Wilds never go out of style.

April
03-04-2010, 08:42 PM
heh there..daninthesand..long time no hear from. you oughta get back into discus!!

ockyra215
03-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Well DAle I got to say they look awesome!!! Id love to see them pair up for you.I would like to jump on the train for the wattley fry when it happens as well.;)

Eddie
03-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Dale my friend, any updates on these Lago Solomon BEAUTY'S!!! I'd love to see some more pictures. Bet they are getting monsterous!

All the best buddy,

Eddie

Heiko Bleher
03-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Hi guys,

yes these are beautiful discus, S. haraldi, but definitely not from a Lago Solomon, as this name does not exist. Invented, as so many, by collectors or exporters.

These discus are denfinitely from the Lago Nhamundá region and should remain with that name of (real) origin. It can also be seeen in my book on pages: 91, 205 and 308.

Lately (and suddenly) this name came up several times and those discus with such name (naturally) where sold more expensive, as a "new" locality... But also the largest exporter of discus and friend Hudson (Hekdiscus), just confirmed to me as well from Brazil by e-mail, that this name is pur invention.

But they are nice discus, as most of them from the Lago Nhamundá region. They are very round, (already Manuel Torres, the first collector in the area after my discovery in 1997, always said as well that from there comes
the roundest discus he has seen in Amazonia - only from the Lago Nhamundá region).

Keep up the good work, but do not believe all the phantasy names.

Always

Heiko Bleher – collecting discus since 1965...and never stopped.
This year again 3 Amazon(discus)expeditions, like last year, and every year ...

Eddie
03-25-2010, 05:45 AM
[QUOTE=Heiko Bleher;628678]Hi guys,

yes these are beautiful discus, S. haraldi, but definitely not from a Lago Solomon, as this name does not exist. Invented, as so many, by collectors or exporters.

These discus are denfinitely from the Lago Nhamundá region and should remain with that name of (real) origin. It can also be seeen in my book on pages: 91, 205 and 308.

Lately (and suddenly) this name came up several times and those discus with such name (naturally) where sold more expensive, as a "new" locality... But also the largest exporter of discus and friend Hudson (Hekdiscus), just confirmed to me as well from Brazil by e-mail, that this name is pur invention.

But they are nice discus, as most of them from the Lago Nhamundá region. They are very round, (already Manuel Torres, the first collector in the area after my discovery in 1997, always said as well that from there comes
the roundest discus he has seen in Amazonia - only from the Lago Nhamundá region).

Keep up the good work, but do not believe all the phantasy names.

Always

Heiko Bleher – collecting discus since 1965...and never stopped.
This year again 3 Amazon(discus)expeditions, like last year, and every year ...

I guess if you went back to brazil you would know about recent discoveries but since you are always on "tour" or "trying" to sell your book, I'm sure some things are gonna pass right by you Heiko. Good luck with your book sales!

Eddie

dalejordan
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I guess if you went back to brazil you would know about recent discoveries but since you are always on "tour" or "trying" to sell your book, I'm sure some things are gonna pass right by you Heiko. Good luck with your book sales!

Eddie

HA HA HA HA...VERY nice buddy !!!!!!! Only thing I'll say is...I'm not going to waste my time now or EVER with the author of the previous post !!!

To answer your question...they are doing GREAT !!! Eating like slobs and starting to fill in with color ( slowly mind you) In terms of size, not really seeing any major growth, but it's really only been 6 weeks or so. Thought I seen some "breeding" action a few weeks back, but I think they're too young yet.

Will keep everyone posted....or you could "buy my book".....ooops, got carried away in the moment :-)

HA HA HA

Heiko Bleher
03-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Hi,

thanks for your comments. Yes I go back EVERY year and will never stop, and every year more than once, normally 2-3 times, and not only to Brazil, but also to many other countries around the globe, as you can well see on my website (if you want, but no need to, also not to look in my bbook, actually better not). That is my live and has always been. And this is also why no one can tell me at least about Amazonia, discus and other fishes, as I only believe that what I have seen with my own eyes or done myself there. And that information, ONLY the correct one I pass on to others and not like some other persons on this great forum who unfortunately have NEVER done their homework and correct reserach and just write bad about others because they do not know any better but claim to...

I can only feel sorry for them and sorry that they come to this forum to pass on superficial or false information instead of helping fish lovers to understand their fishes better, what they are, who to keep them and where they (correctly) come from.

Best regards and PLEASE never buy or look into my book, no one needs to, and specially not those who know it all ...

And you know, it is very interesting, that suddenly below water (Lucanus) discus are promoted everywhere, although he never wrote or gave any advice to discus lovers in this forum (or I did not see it), and no one said anything against that "advertisement" free of charge...

Always

Heiko Bleher

PS: And you know, there are thousands who appreciate my help and work - around the world - and therfore I will always continue, tell me one of those here who write bad about me have a fraction of such recognition world-wide, show it to me. Even on this forum there are plenty who recognize what I do, just look around.

Eddie
03-25-2010, 07:41 PM
The funniest part of this is your contact H&K must be giving false information also as they provide Lago Solomon wild caught discus to a Japanese Importer. Also a company that apparently supports you.

Have a Japanese translator give the "correct" information.

Cheers

dalejordan
03-25-2010, 07:50 PM
HA HA HA HA

ashaysathe
03-25-2010, 08:14 PM
And you know, it is very interesting, that suddenly below water (Lucanus) discus are promoted everywhere, although he never wrote or gave any advice to discus lovers in this forum (or I did not see it), and no one said anything against that "advertisement" free of charge...

Why would u write this Heiko? You rant about proof and evidences what makes you say this.

The reason why I take offense is you are contaminating a thread from friend Dale which says he bought fish from Oliver and he loves the fish so much that he posted the photos. He is NOT asking where they came from and NOT asking please classify this. You are giving YOUR OPINION (UNASKED). I am personally following this thread as progression of Dale's fish with interest.

Secondly, I am taking offense here because I bought similar fish from Oliver as well and he DID NOT in any form advertise the sale of his fish nor did he ask ME to put the fish I bought from him on the forum. Infact I pursued and asked Oliver to get fish for me. I love the fish and I love this forum and I feel I should share my part of the hobby on the forum. I don't want people to think that Oliver asked me to put his name on the fish I got from him and advertise in any shape or form. I take personal offense on that comment of yours.

The pure part of the hobby is Dale and Oliver are good friends of mine and with all due respect to you Heiko, just writing about "my book" feels like an output of Opium Den - no more no less.

Opinion is good when asked for and Knowledge is great when possessed.

About the fish - I don't care the came from Nhamunda or Solomon or Bay of Bengal - I like the fish I bought it. Period.

If Jeans were sold as cotton pant would you not buy them or wait till Mr. Levis publish's his book.

dalejordan
03-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Man oh man.....If I could say THANK YOU any louder than this, I would my friend !!!!!
Wow.....YOU ARE THE MAN !!!!!!!!!!

brewmaster15
03-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Guys lets tone this down a bit please your making the fish real stressed out...:)

I know that Dales intention when he wrote this thread was to share his pleasure in recieving these wilds... I would ask all to not take away from that...Theres a time and a place for each discussion..I'd rather see the geographic locations and names discussion to take place in their own thread please... So I would encourage those so inclined to make such a thread, personally if I did not collect it, I have little faith in the local it comes from...I'm satisfied with species level identification otherwise....but thats just me...I respect others who want to know more information than that. If someone were to start such a thread I think it would be very valuable to the forum membership.

I do need to make one thing clear for the record. Oliver has absolutely never attempted to sell his fish here directly. More explicitedly he generally avoids forums all together popping in once in a long while. Additionally, I have to say that even after his new book recently came out ..He went out of his way to contact me and inquire if he could post a notice that the book is out... and these are the facts.

I would ask that we all respect the names and reputations of others on this forum. If there is an issue with someone, please take it up with them off the forum.

Lastly, Everyone please understand that it is my responsibility and that of the moderators here to determine when someone crosses the line on selling...Its something we watch carefully...but it is ultimately for us to decide what is acceptable and what is not. Please respect that.

As a matter of clarification...be it fish, supplies, books etc...This forum allows everyone to share their experiences with a vendor, whether they are sponsors or not... that kind of promotion is 100 % acceptible...

Now if we can please get back on track...I'd really like to see more pictures of those gems that Dale got.

Thank you all,

al

Discus Origins
03-26-2010, 12:12 AM
I have got to chime in on this also as I just recently received BEAUTIFUL Nhamunda Blue Moon Heckels from Oliver at Below Water. I'm the one that pursued those fish, taking the trouble to bring in an international shipment because 'I' wanted these fish.

I posted pictures of them and placed him as the source for my fish because I was so impressed with the quality. In no way did he ever ask me to advertise or say anything about his fish on this forum. That was all done on my own accord.

BUT, if anyone is looking for awesome AAA grade fish....Below Water is the only place to go! ;)

wildthing
03-27-2010, 12:42 PM
:)
Oh my goodness! The wheel turns once more.

:)
Blind Men and the Elephant

(by John Godfrey Saxe)

It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind

The First approached the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,