PDA

View Full Version : New To discus!:D

Discus_1
02-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Hi Everyone!:D

This is my first topic!!!

Please dont be harsh on my Q's i dont know very much about them.

Anyway i was wondering if i could keep a single discus in a 30g???
with some tetras or something??
i know they need pretty soft and acidic water.

heres a picture of my tank i have bogwood and some plants for now.
I did get more bogwood today but wont go in until it discolors.

http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv114/Garett101/?action=view&current=DSCF1256-1.jpg&newest=1

DiscusKeeper403
02-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi Everyone!:D

This is my first topic!!!

Please dont be harsh on my Q's i dont know very much about them.

Anyway i was wondering if i could keep a single discus in a 30g???
with some tetras or something??
i know they need pretty soft and acidic water.

heres a picture of my tank i have bogwood and some plants for now.
I did get more bogwood today but wont go in until it discolors.

http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv114/Garett101/?action=view&current=DSCF1256-1.jpg&newest=1

Hi Garett,

Welcome to the forum! Discus are social fish, so unfortunatley they do not do very well if kept by themselves. You would be able to keep a mated pair in that sized tank though.

KEWX
02-13-2010, 10:39 PM
I would suggest you read as mush as you can on this site about Discus Basics. You need to get more than one discus. Maybe, 3 small ones to start. One of my big concerns was water when I started but after reading alot and talking to Discus Hans, I took the plunge. Hans assured me that his fish would do just fine with "city" water and an anti-chlorine chemical (I use Prime). 8 months later and many weekly water changes, my discus are doing great and getting big. You may need the "classic water parameters" to bred discus, but they seem to do just fine in safe drinking water. I'm not sure about fish from all breeders/strains. Fish from Discus Hans do very well!

Discus_1
02-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Ok .

Ill try!

could i try to get a male and a female or would that be bad?
i know the person that does the orders and shes really nice so i think she could try. but i wouldnt have a clue what to do with the fry.if they did have fry.
and could small african cichlid be ok temperary.

I might be ordering discus on monday.
and theywill come in on thursday.

Eddie
02-13-2010, 11:14 PM
I'd advise against the purchase. Getting 2 fish that are not a pair (happy pair) is a disaster waiting to happen. Buying a pair of discus is a decent investment and if you have never kept discus before, it may not be money well spent. :o Definitely hold off until you feel that you can keep them. Water is the most important factor in keeping discus. Know your water, PH-KH-GH as well as its elements. Figure out your method of conditioning your water for discus and how to perform regular maintenance. Lots of reading and lots of questions.

All the best,

Eddie

Discus_1
02-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Then could i just get a single discus?
or should i just hold off for now?
What other kind of cichlids do you gys suggest?

KEWX
02-13-2010, 11:28 PM
For other cichlids try: http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/index.php

Eddie
02-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Then could i just get a single discus?
or should i just hold off for now?
What other kind of cichlids do you gys suggest?

I would hold out for now and if you can get a larger tank, go with a discus only barebottom set-up.

As far as other cichlids, something easier and can be in smaller groups, maybe some severums. They are very territorial though, as are most cichlids.

Eddie

Discus_1
02-13-2010, 11:33 PM
I have a baby green severum.
cute but might sell him cause will probibly get stunted in my tank and die.
ive got kribs to but still discus are soo cool.

1Chuck9669
02-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Welcome aboard!!!

I know that Discus are cool and you want some now, but you would be far better off to do your research at this site before you make any purchases. Like Eddie, I recommend a far larger tank. Minimum of 55 gallons. The larger the better :D It has been said that you can house one adult Discus per ten gallons of water, but remember that Discus are ciclids and will leave a lot of waste. Bare-bottoms set-ups are great for ensuring that all waste materials are removed. If you are not interested in a bare-bottom set-up, it would do you well to navigate the Simply site in order to gain knowledge and make an informed decision. LOTS AND LOTS of WATER CHANGES!!! I strongly suggest you perform your research first or your new fish will likely suffer.

Best of Luck!!!

Discus_1
02-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Ya ill wait and get some rams or something.

In petland i seen a really nice 55g for $297.45
Awesome tank.really good price to but my parents said no.
So ill have to wait maybe like a year.

Finatic
02-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Look on a local swap site like craigslist. You can find a great deal there. As eddie said though, hold out until you can find a bigger tank. Dont invest in only a one or a pair unless they are a proven pair, but those are expensive.

Read as much as you can and ask questions, thats what the community is here for.

Good luck and enjoy all the pictures until you can get your own :)