PDA

View Full Version : seeding (cycling) new filters

ollie
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
dont know if this has been said or discussed on here , but when i used to keep fish , i used to urinate in the tanks to start the filters:D of and it did work for me . just wondering if any one else has or does this:p

David Rose
02-15-2010, 10:06 AM
It's been discussed and some folks claimed they've tried it. As far as using this method, I guess it depends on how much of a purist your are. I personally prefer the pure ammonia fishless cycling method to prevent unwanted contaminants. ;)

afriend
02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Yea, David I use the fishless method also. I'm sure you and others probably already know this, but be sure to get the type that does not have anything other than ammonia. You can tell if you have the right kind by shaking the bottle. If there is no foam formed, you have the right kind.

Not sure why anyone would want to use urine when a single bottle of ammonia (sold in the grocery kitchen cleaning section) will last a lifetime and costs about $2. As David said, that way you arn't putting anything else in the water. Be sure to only use a few drops and then test to assure that you haven't used too much.

Scribbles
02-15-2010, 01:06 PM
I prefer to seed new filters with media from an existing filter but to each his own.

Chris

ollie
02-15-2010, 01:15 PM
well i think i will use bottled ammonia this time round , better be safe than sorry.
thanks for the replys.

ollie

Jhhnn
02-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Check the label on the ammonia- some stuff marketed as "clear ammonia" has surfacants, meaning detergents, and you don't want that. Shake the bottle- if it's foamy, don't use it, no matter what the label says.

Never tried urine- don't know why it wouldn't work well- a nice organic soup for the bacteria, more complete nutrition than ammonia...

It seems unlikely that you'd be carrying any fish pathogens...

tcyiu
02-16-2010, 02:37 AM
I prefer to seed new filters with media from an existing filter but to each his own.

Chris

+1 vote

Tim

ollie
02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Check the label on the ammonia- some stuff marketed as "clear ammonia" has surfacants, meaning detergents, and you don't want that. Shake the bottle- if it's foamy, don't use it, no matter what the label says.

Never tried urine- don't know why it wouldn't work well- a nice organic soup for the bacteria, more complete nutrition than ammonia...

It seems unlikely that you'd be carrying any fish pathogens...

thanks for the info .

i woulnt pee in the tank after a hard nite on the cornish cider tho , might be a bit frothy:D