PDA

View Full Version : How long are they going to stay scared.

peterhql
02-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Everyone,
I currently have 5 discus about 4-4.5 inches in a 90 gallon tank and they can't seem to settle down. It's been about a week. I used to have them in a 3 foot 60-70 gallon tank and they did much better in there.

The tank has a very thin layer of sand 2 pieces of manzanita at the base and back covered,sides 75 % covered.

The five of them look pretty lonely in there, would adding more discus make them braver?

Do they get braver as they age?

I feel terrible, maybe I've traumatized them, I got them as 2-2.5 inch juveniles in August 09. Back then there were 7 to start with and there's been quite a bit of growing pains before I actually started reading Simplydiscus.

Thanks for any suggestions, advice, or insight.

Scribbles
02-15-2010, 01:03 PM
It can take them awhile to settle. Are the water parameters the same in the 90 gallon as they were in the smaller tank? Was the bigger tank cycled when you put them in? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? Depending on whether there are other tankmates you do have room for more discus but they would need to be quarantined first.

Chris

peterhql
02-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm using the same canister filter as from the old tank and I pumped most of original tank water into the new tank. I have 20 or so Cardinals, 1 BN pleco, and 8 cory cats.

On another subject,
Most people are pretty strict on the QT rule, but It took an extreme amount of effort to get the okay for a larger tank from the Misses. An additional tank is very unlikely at this point.

I got the original stendkers from hans and because of the reliability of the source, how risky is it really if I were to skip the QT for additional stendkers from hans?

Thanks for the reply!
Peter

rich815
02-15-2010, 01:51 PM
It took mine almost 3 months to settle in and not be skittish all the time, and another month before they seemed to hang out in front even with people standing in front of the tank. It was worth it though.

White Worm
02-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Clean water is better. Regardless of who you get the fish from, a QT is a must to settle new arrivals and keep an eye on them. Stress causes most health issues and although they left healthy, things can happen during shipment that is beyond the control of the shipper. Give it some time and go about your business as usual and they will adapt. When near the tank, give them their favorite snack and they will come to know you as FOOD GOD!