PDA

View Full Version : Giant Flora

henpecked
02-15-2010, 05:30 PM
I just got very lucky!

My 6.5" Giant Flora Male that I brought home 3 weeks ago has paired off and spawned with my 5" Turq/Leopard Female. The eggs are 3 days old and about 20-25 are clear and still on the cone. I will be posting about that separately, because this is my first pair :)and I will have a lot of questions.

My immediate questions are about strains:

Is there a difference between a "Giant Flora" and a reg Turq besides size?
What mix of strains can I expect from this pair if all goes well?
Will their size be passed on, or is that more of an enviromental factor?

Thanks all

John_Nicholson
02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Better question why is a 6 1/2" fish called a giant to begin with? If it is 6 1/2 " SL (no tail in the measurement) then it is a nice fish. If the 6 1/2 is TL then it not reall that big.

The difference in name is more of a game then anything. Breeders put new names on old strains all of the time. It enabls them to charge you more money for the same old fish.

-john

vss
02-15-2010, 06:06 PM
i guess it will help if you can post some pictures of your pair :) I am also confused by the name Giant flora sometimes, as under the same name I've seen some different phenotypes like classic red turqs and brilliant turqs, round body shape to hi-body shape.

What I heard is that the origin of all the flora-related strains like altum flora and giant flora is the floral turq from Vietnam, a classic-looking and large-growing turquoise line developed (or preserved) by a breeder in Vietnam who was originally from Hongkong. It is a pure turquoise line, totally have nothing to do with SS and leopard gene. Breeders in Malaysia crossed it and the result was giant flora...later people improved it to the high-body&high fin shape, and it is the altum flora. The result of your cross also depend on both of the parents. The size is correlated to both how well they are raised and their gene. Usually turquoise is more dominant than spotted gene, and the majority of the offspring from such a cross are likely to be turq-like fish, together with some mixed spot/turq pattern ones and spotted ones.

Just my 2 cents...could be wrong :P

-Xiaofei :)

Cooldadddyfunk286
02-15-2010, 06:20 PM
I know I would kill for that giant flora posted in the univ. section! MAN, I just love the color on that fish. a tank full of those would be exquisite! I really like the giant flora turk and snake adults that Lawrence is selling. those are absolutly amazing.

Jhhnn
02-15-2010, 10:27 PM
You should get mostly turqs, maybe a few spotted fish, depending on a lot of factors. As I understand it, almost all turqs are related, including giant flora, way back somewhere, and the genetics are quite dominant. Turqs beget turqs, with some being more or less royal than others.

Giant flora aren't known as a small variety, but rather as good to large sized chunky specimens. If your female is from a lineage with similar potential, you should get some good sized fish with proper rearing.