PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have SDD?

darbex
02-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Anyone ever deal with SDD (Sudden Discus Death)? I came home to a discus that looks to be on its death bed and I have no idea why. He was fine in the morning coming up to the glass ready for breakfast and when I get home he is laying on his side with black blotches that looks like bruises. No sign of disease or attack. See questionnaire below.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Mentioned above no idea what happened

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Black blotches and laying on its side

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Nothing just put him in QT with salt

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

330G, 6 months, 6 discus the sick one is 6-7"

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Twice a week, planted with soil and sand, do not age water run it through carbon filter last change was Saturday

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __84___

- ph __7.8___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5.0__

- well water __No__

- municipal water __Yes__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

No

William Palumbo
02-17-2010, 12:56 AM
I have had that a few times over the years. Discus, like any other living thing can just drop dead without any warning. It happens...Bill

Eddie
02-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Do you have any plecos?

darbex
02-17-2010, 01:11 AM
BN plecos

Eddie
02-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Okay, my thoughts. Some disease is affecting your fish, it fell lethargic and the BN chewed on him while he was down. Hows that possibility? Do the marks look like areas where the BN could have been sucking on him?

Eddie

darbex
02-17-2010, 01:17 AM
No there is no scratches or anything they look like a bruise after getting punched. But what kind of disease can have such a quick death? Other than the few black blotches his colors are bright.

darbex
02-17-2010, 01:24 AM
Here is a pic of what he looks like
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/darbex/DSC_0119.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/darbex/DSC_0118.jpg

erikc
02-17-2010, 08:37 AM
I've seen this before with wildcaughts.

There was a large school of them (about 30-40), they were shoaling together and suddenly one just dropped out of the shool, dead instantly. The owner said it was due to stress of captivity, probably a heart attack.

This could be neurological like with the whirling disease, it's extremely swift and sudden but it usual happens with juveniles. I am saying that beacuse of the dark spot on it's body. This has happened to me before and I have sadly never found an explanation.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable in discus symptons and treatments will have something to say.

darbex
02-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Well I was sure he wouldnt make it through the night. Woke up and ran to the QT tank and he is up swimming all black spots are gone. Fins are all fully erect.

I will keep him under survailence and report back. I am still shocked by what happened this was the Alpha male. They only thing I can think of was there was a fight for boss without any actual bites and he lost and was stressed out

darbex
02-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Well now he has the beginnings of fin rot little white things are appearing on the edge of his fins. Started Furan-2 I just hope that the same thing that happened with the other discus doesnt start with him with him being a chronic issue. I think I am going to keep him in QT for a much longer time than I did with the other just to be sure its erradicated.

Eddie
02-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Well now he has the beginnings of fin rot little white things are appearing on the edge of his fins. Started Furan-2 I just hope that the same thing that happened with the other discus doesnt start with him with him being a chronic issue. I think I am going to keep him in QT for a much longer time than I did with the other just to be sure its erradicated.

Just to put a 1-2 punch, add salt at 200 grams per 100 liters (25 gallons). The salt will help to eliminate or slow down any possible parasitic infestation, and allow the antibiotics to do their job.

Eddie

darbex
02-18-2010, 12:06 AM
I did a palm full per 5G. Which is roughly a rounded tablespoon is that enough?

Eddie
02-18-2010, 01:10 AM
I did a palm full per 5G. Which is roughly a rounded tablespoon is that enough?

Not sure, I use a gram/milligram scale for weight measurements. Keep the salinity constant, meaning when you do water changes, add back the salt removed.

Eddie

darbex
02-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Should I also treat with Metro after the Furan treatment just to make sure?

brewmaster15
02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
My guess...and its only a guess... something akin to a stroke...The black splotches are neurological responses... People often see similar when their fish crash into something after freaking...sometimes they snap out of it ...sometimes they don't. Don't be surprised if this repeats with this fish.

I'd place the fish in hospital tank and give it lots of clean water, salt as a stress reliever... till it fully recovers... It should not be something thats contagious and am not sure that I would medicate at this stage ..it may make matters worse by adding stress.

hth,
al

darbex
03-01-2010, 09:39 PM
So he got eye cloud that has grown into this white stuff growing from his eye almost into a cone. I treated him with Tiple Sulfa but nothing has changed. Anyon have any ideas how to treat this?

Eddie
03-02-2010, 12:00 AM
So he got eye cloud that has grown into this white stuff growing from his eye almost into a cone. I treated him with Tiple Sulfa but nothing has changed. Anyon have any ideas how to treat this?

How many days? If its been 3 days and no change, go with Furanase, trust me. Also keep keep salt at 100 grams per 25 gallons. Make sure to keep the lights off. Furanase can be purchased from Kensfish.com under fungal medications. Best antibiotic on the market.

Eddie

darbex
03-02-2010, 12:50 AM
I have done the full treatment so 4 days on Triple Sulfa it might be marginally better than when I started. He has all of his colors and everything and you would not even know he is sick until he shows you that side and you see his eye. Is this the same as Furan-2?

Eddie
03-02-2010, 04:42 AM
I have done the full treatment so 4 days on Triple Sulfa it might be marginally better than when I started. He has all of his colors and everything and you would not even know he is sick until he shows you that side and you see his eye. Is this the same as Furan-2?

Its similar as it is labeled a furan but not the same exact chemical.

Furanase - Nifurpirinol

Furan-2 - Nitrofurazone/Furazolidone

Eddie

darbex
03-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Placed an order thanks