PDA

View Full Version : Disinfecting Fish Nets

lkc
02-17-2010, 11:16 AM
I have searched and found no answer to this. Is there a home remedy I can mix up to dip my fish nets in to disinfect them? Bleach will probably ruin them so, anyone? I've got ammonia, vinegar............Really hot water?

Thanks.

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-17-2010, 11:36 AM
The best solution to truely sterilize the nets is to use what's known as Virkon Disinfectant....it's not cheap though ($88 for a 10lb bucket that would last the hobbyist a long while). There is another option, but not as effective. Benzolkonium Chloride. That can be found here: www.4fishstuff.com (http://www.4fishstuff.com)

-Ryan

Carolina discus
02-17-2010, 12:23 PM
PP soak....then rinse with Hydro Perox and water......

DerekFF
02-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Im not sure really sure what the best way is, but ive used bleach+hot water and soaked for a little bit and just made sure i washed it out REALLY well after. I've also used just a hot salt dip. I didn't make it an exact science on how much salt i used, however I hear that anything over 5% is good for killing a lot of fungus/parasites/disease. I usually soak for 15-30minutes

DerekFF
02-17-2010, 03:14 PM
i missed the decimal in my last post. It is supposed to be .5% salt concentration. Eddie put a link about using salt for aquariums. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM007

DiscusOnly
02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
I dip mine in a buck of water mixed with chlorine. Rinse and then put in a 2nd container with water with prime added.

tdiscusman
02-17-2010, 03:33 PM
I soak mine in a solution of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide + water 50/50.
Tony

David Rose
02-17-2010, 03:47 PM
I have searched and found no answer to this. Is there a home remedy I can mix up to dip my fish nets in to disinfect them? Bleach will probably ruin them so, anyone? I've got ammonia, vinegar............Really hot water?

Thanks.

There are always options...

1) Potassium Permaganate (sold at Sears)
2) Benzalkonium Chloride
3) 1:20 Bleach
4) Rubbing Alcohol
5) Hydrogen Peroxide
6) I've heard of some folks freezing items in a baggy

Rod
02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
200ppm clorine here. Won't damage normal grade nylon nets even if you continuously leave in bucket, but those fine soft white ones it will. I dip those then rinse in freshwater and let air dry.

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Forgot to add in a link regarding the Virkon:
http://www.wchemical.com/VIRKON-AQUATIC-P44C11.aspx (scroll down for info)

-Ryan

Eddie
02-17-2010, 07:52 PM
I use rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. Spray them down, till they are soaked and then rinse or air dry and rinse.

Eddie

Jhhnn
02-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Old school methods include saturated salt solutions and aquarisol. Neither one needs rinsing. I put the nets I've acquired with used aquariums thru the dishwasher along with filter parts that fit, leaving the heated dry feature off...

tdiscusman
02-18-2010, 12:15 PM
1) Potassium Permaganate (sold at Sears)

Hi David,

PP are sold at Sears under what brand name? and what department can you find it in?

Thanks
Tony

David Rose
02-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi David,

PP are sold at Sears under what brand name? and what department can you find it in?

Thanks
Tony

Hi Tony,

Kenmore found in the de-humidifier/pool supply section.

tcyiu
02-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Old school methods include saturated salt solutions and aquarisol. Neither one needs rinsing. I put the nets I've acquired with used aquariums thru the dishwasher along with filter parts that fit, leaving the heated dry feature off...

+1 vote for old school method.

As Jhhnn said, the key benefit is that salt dipped nets do NOT need to be treated to be put back into your tanks. You won't harm your fish if, in an emergency you grab the net out of the dip. And salt will not destroy the nets like Hydrogen Peroxide or Bleach.

As for concentration, I would go for much more than 0.5%. Think of it this way, pathogens can live in sea water. You want to go for Dead Sea-like concentrations to make sure nothing lives.

Tim

diamond_discus
02-19-2010, 02:02 AM

Thanks.

I have used bleach with water ... that didn't ruin the fish net. I even soak the net in that water for a few days .. Afterward, I replace the bleach water with clean water, and add triple dosage of prime .. and let it soak for another couple day .. works like brand new.

Axcentive
09-20-2012, 02:32 AM
Soak the net in 2% Halamid solution for 30 minutes, 4 - 5 times a year and you will get rid of all microbes. advantage of Halamid: it will not affect polyamide of the net.

lipadj46
09-20-2012, 04:49 AM
glutaraldehyde would work too. Metricide 14 has no surfactants in it.

Brent1972
09-20-2012, 04:57 AM
I use Milton sterilising fluid http://www.milton-tm.com/sterilising_fluid.html Or any sterilising fluid for babies soak for 15 mins quick rinse , Job done.

Tommy Saville
09-20-2012, 05:59 AM
I put my nets in the dishwasher with the rest of the kitchen stuff. Boiling water is a great steriliser.....

ganesan
09-25-2012, 01:52 PM
very simple and that is soak them in potassium permangonate solution for about an hour and then rinse the net with running tap water