PDA

View Full Version : scratching / weird behavior

jball1125
02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Hey all,

Some of my discus have been scratching against the filter intake lately. Another one of my discus is also doing a weird movement and the only way I can describe it is by saying imagine some one who can't drive and accelerates and then brakes verry hard like every 5 seconds. Sometimes it also looks like if he was darting at a pice of food right in front of him but there is nothing there. The temp is at 90 it is a 29 gallon BB and they have only been in there for about 2 weeks(doing some changes to my main tank), I had also recentley treated with metro because of stringy clear poop. Any ideas why they are scratching and what the weird movements could be?

Gunner11
02-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey all,

Some of my discus have been scratching against the filter intake lately. Another one of my discus is also doing a weird movement and the only way I can describe it is by saying imagine some one who can't drive and accelerates and then brakes verry hard like every 5 seconds. Sometimes it also looks like if he was darting at a pice of food right in front of him but there is nothing there. The temp is at 90 it is a 29 gallon BB and they have only been in there for about 2 weeks(doing some changes to my main tank), I had also recentley treated with metro because of stringy clear poop. Any ideas why they are scratching and what the weird movements could be?

Hi, I'm no expert but when discus are scratching usually means external parasites. Mine were doing the same thing and I used T.C. Tetracycline or you could use Triple Sulfa (broad spectrum med)...now their doing great! I did 90 percent water changes everyday and added the meds before filling back up...plus added salt and kept the temperature at 86 F. I did this for a week straight...btw why do you keep your tank at 90?? How often have you been doing water changes and how much...do you use prime? maybe the tank is not cycled yet.

jball1125
02-18-2010, 10:24 AM
I have my tank at 90 because I was treating with metro. I usually do weekly water changes but have been doing everyother day since I have been treating with metro (50 percent).... Do you know if it is safe to put salt in the tank with corydoras in there? Thanks for the great advice, ill look into those meds and treat to see if the scratching goes away. BTW the water is cycled because I transferred it over from my main tank and am still using the same filter

erikc
02-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey all,

I'm not the medication expert here but it does sound like gill flukes to me.

You should fill in the form and let the experts take over.

Gunner11
02-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey all,

jball are your discus breathing heavy or breathing out of one gill? If so then it is likely gill flukes...Again not an expert just going on my own experience that happened recently. The two meds I used worked for me...but my discus were breathing fine just the rubbing on objects, weird swimming movements and eventually tailstands at the bottom of the tank and laying flat on the bottom...until I medicated and all of them made it through. Triple Sulfa does also treat for bacterial gill disease, Mouth fungus, fin & tail rot, Body Slime & Eye Cloud, Hemorrhagic Septicemia.
I used the two meds mentioned because it was what I had on hand in the middle of the night there is probably something else that might work for you too...so as Eric said better to wait for the experts to chime in...Eddie aka Dr. Eddie is definitely the expert on discus disease and treatments and helped me save all my discus. Hopefully he'll be around soon.

Eddie
02-18-2010, 06:58 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38545

Fill out this form. Copy and paste it into a post and then answer the questions in detail.

The high heat can create an environment for parasite proliferation. Initially, I would bring the temp down to about 86-84F. Do a really good tank wipe down and perform a BIG water change. This will reduce the number of bugs in your water and give some relief to the fish. If it is water quality that is bothering the fish, the big water change will also cover this. ;)

Eddie