PDA

View Full Version : Help?!?!?!?!?!

plark
02-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Alright so I'm upgrading tanks from a 29 to a 55 gal, I have the filter Maineland 350 (up to 70 gal) a Glo T5HO (2 lights @ 54w each) but I need to know what kind of substrate is good for a planted tank, I know there's going to be TONS of different opinions but I want something that will be easy to clean, wont break down, plants will enjoy it...... Please help :)

dbfzurowski
02-18-2010, 06:17 PM
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm

gotfish?
02-18-2010, 07:05 PM
usually in a planted tank set up substrates like eco complete, flourite, ada soil, etc. arent cleaned anymore, people just let plants "do their thing". and as far as good substrate for plants, eco complete and flourite in my opinion is great and will not hurt your pocket compare to ADAs atleast. but if you still think 20 bucks a bag for substrate is still expensive i would look up "mineralized soil"---its basically a do it yourself substrate...more work but def cheaper :)

jerzguy
02-18-2010, 11:25 PM
In another forum they said it is almost like Soil Master Select which is very cheap and very light in weight.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm

plark
02-19-2010, 01:57 AM
Honestly price isn't the issue, I was going to buy the 40$ a bag stuff but I figured I was ask before jumping into this project head first then not liking what I did later also I'm trying to do this tomorrow and don't want to wait for shipping -.- thanks for the website though I was on there the other day looking around

gotfish?
02-19-2010, 04:47 AM
40 bucks a bag? yikes! i know my LFS sells a bag of eco complete for 32 bucks. but if you do deciede and wait for shipment i think drfoster still has the flat rate thing for 5 or 8 bucks shipping. also ADA would ship 3 9liter bags(good enough to fill a 36x15 footprint) for like 20 bucks. ada cost more but its def quality.(and it looks nice too :D)

blkrob
02-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Aquaturf from home depot then add some fert tabs for swords and crypts. Other plants get ferts from the water column. You could pick up some play sand there also. So for less then 20 bucks you can cover your plants needs and the discus.

I have used them all and as time passes I use the later. Leaves more money for discus and I haven't noticed any drop off in plant growth.

Good luck,

Robert

plark
02-19-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm thinking play sand for a nice bottom then some florite black on the top....has anyone used this 2?

samuelkl
02-20-2010, 12:24 AM
play sand from home depot will def increase the hardness of your water. watch out for that

gotfish?
02-20-2010, 03:52 AM
it WILL mix up