PDA

View Full Version : Scratching & Worms

jball1125
02-18-2010, 10:35 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

About 2 weeks ago one of my fish was pooping clear and loosing weight so I raised the temp to 89 and treated with daily metro feedings in their blackworms for 5 days. About 3 days ago I noticed some of my fish scratching on the filter So I did 50 percent water change the next day and nothing. I am also seeing alot of stringy clear mucus like things floating around in the current. Im not sure if this is poop or some type of clear stuff that comes on the blackworms I have been feeding and I never noticed.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Scratching, darting, clear things floating around.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Metro for 5 days and I didnt see any more clear poop coming out of the fish, however, there are alot of slightly visible clear things floating around but Im not sure if its coming from the poop.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

The fish have been in this 29 gallon for about 2 weeks. There are 7 of them and they range from 3 to 4 inches. They were in a 55 but I switched them to the 29 to do some adjustments in the 55.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
I usually age my water for 1 or 2 (declor with amquel +) days and I change about 50 percent weekly. The 55 had gravel but the one they are in now is BB

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp was 90, just lowered it to 85

- ph 7.6

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading > 20 ppm

- well water no

- municipal water yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently no

I attached a horrible pic of the stringy clear stuff floating around... sorry my camera sucks.

hedut
02-18-2010, 11:06 PM
dose? I usually do between 89 to 92 even when I wc, I try to keep the temperature stable

Eddie
02-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Soaking worms or any food in metro is very ineffective in the treatment of flagellates. I would go for the prolonged bath; 500 mg/10 gallons of water and 1 tbsp of Epsom Salt/10 gallons of water combined. Run this course for 7 days minimum.

Eddie

jball1125
02-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Should I do water changes during the 7 day treatment and should I use metro or another med? Also I have a emperor filter on this tank right now, should I remove it and add a sponge filter or its ok to keep using it...

Were you guys able to recognize the UFO (unidentified floating object) in the pic???

rickztahone
02-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Should I do water changes during the 7 day treatment and should I use metro or another med? Also I have a emperor filter on this tank right now, should I remove it and add a sponge filter or its ok to keep using it...

Were you guys able to recognize the UFO (unidentified floating object) in the pic???

Yes, with Metro you would need to do a WC (water change) every day and replace 50% of the water and replace the Metro at full dose (what Eddie recommended). Leave the filter running and if it were my tank i'd raise the tank, that would just be me however, many would disagree

jball1125
02-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Ok Im gona start the treatment 2morow. For now Im gona try and go to bed (suposed to get up in 5 hrs...:mad:)

Thanks so much for the help!!!! I will update soon

Patr1ck
02-20-2010, 05:11 AM
I had stuff like that floating around my tank and hanging out of my discus. I treated with levamisole and it stopped. Prior to medicating, I bought a microscope and was able to diagnose the problem. I saw hundreds of capillaria eggs and 1 worm itself. To make sure you know what you are dealing with, before you spend money on meds and stress you and your fish out, I would really recommend getting a microscope. I know it was alittle intimidating for me too, but Im really glad I did. In the process I also found another intriguing branch of this discus hobby in the microscopical world. E bay has some good ones for good prices. I bought the lcd screen one from Celestron. I actually bought 2 of those and will have the extra one for sale soon.

Pat

jball1125
02-21-2010, 01:29 PM
I will definitely look into getting a microscope. If you decide to put yours on sale let me know and maybe we can work something out.
THANKS

jball1125
03-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Good news! All my fish are fine after undergoing treatment for cap. Special thank you goes out to Dale Jordan who was more thank kind to offer me all his contact info so that he can help me every step of the way! He's is really a great guy and wow does he have experience!

Eddie
03-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Good news! All my fish are fine after undergoing treatment for cap. Special thank you goes out to Dale Jordan who was more thank kind to offer me all his contact info so that he can help me every step of the way! He's is really a great guy and wow does he have experience!

Thats fantastic news!

All the best,

Eddie

dalejordan
03-06-2010, 11:29 PM

Thank you my friend...THE KIND WORDS ARE APPRECIATED !!!

joanr
03-06-2010, 11:56 PM

What did you use to treat the Capillaria? It's one of the real nasties. What was the treatment regimen?