PDA

View Full Version : Coloration of juvenile Discus

mjs020294
02-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I ordered five Discus online, all different varieties. The fish are all 2 inches to slightly bigger and seem fairly healthy. My problem is they don't appear to be the types I ordered, and I can't see at least two of them changing color sufficiently to ever being anywhere near what I ordered.

My main question is can a Discus that should be a light/white base color with red stripes start off dark gray/blue juvenile? What sort of color changes can these fish go through from juvenile to adult?

lkevin
02-21-2010, 04:56 PM
I think some pictures would be really helpful here.

As a general rule and depending on the strain that you are talking about, young discus can look pretty different from how they will end up at adults. But this really depends on the type. For example, a blue diamond isn't going to change from 2.5 inches to 6 inches, but a white butterfly might start out pink/orange and slowly get white as it matures. This trend is also true for many spotted fish.

What strains are you curious about?

Best of luck.

hedut
02-21-2010, 05:01 PM
and all depend what kinda food that you gonna feed them

Jason K.
02-21-2010, 05:56 PM
what strains did you buy? and who did you order through?

mjs020294
02-21-2010, 06:23 PM
what strains did you buy? and who did you order through?

I got them from somethingphishy, mainly because I live five miles away and the fish were only in transit 13 hours. They all look healthy and are settling in well. They have only been in the tank 24 hours and have already eaten, and are moving about the tank. Still skittish though but that is to be expected with new juveniles.

I picked the following on his website but I am not even sure if his names for the strains are correct:

AquaGreen Scribble
Baby Blue Panda
Red Turquoise
Ruby Red Mosaic
Siam Red Master

rickztahone
02-21-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm sorry but you should of researched somethingfishy here on SD. They have been bad to deal with and I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you completely different strains than what you ordered. Pics would help tremendously at this point

I got them from somethingphishy, mainly because I live five miles away and the fish were only in transit 13 hours. They all look healthy and are settling in well. They have only been in the tank 24 hours and have already eaten, and are moving about the tank. Still skittish though but that is to be expected with new juveniles.

I picked the following on his website but I am not even sure if his names for the strains are correct:

AquaGreen Scribble
Baby Blue Panda
Red Turquoise
Ruby Red Mosaic
Siam Red Master

mjs020294
02-21-2010, 07:45 PM
This is the best picture I could get:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mjs020294/DSC02272.jpg

The biggest one is about 2.5 inches.

bettebulldog
02-21-2010, 08:15 PM
If you only live 5 miles away why wouldnt you have went there to see what you wanted to buy? 13 hours to ship 5 miles is absurd.

mjs020294
02-21-2010, 08:19 PM
If you only live 5 miles away why wouldnt you have went there to see what you wanted to buy? 13 hours to ship 5 miles is absurd.

Its an online retailer only, no exceptions. He operates from a private address, and can't have people visiting.

William Palumbo
02-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Considering where they came from, they look better than I thought they would. Feed them well, and change water frequently, and they should grow and color up nicely. In the future if you want to buy new Discus, check out the sposor section on here...Bill

mjs020294
02-21-2010, 08:42 PM
I had low expectations myself TBH. His prices were very good, $77 for all five, and because I am very close I wasn't too worried about poor customer service. I can do a lot of damage to a house with a one iron and a bag of balls. :bandana:

The fish on the middle right is fairly small, maybe 1.75 inch, and it has started to get really bright red strips. The one on the far left is looking really good already. I am just not 100% convinced they are what I ordered but I guess you get what you pay for.

Its a 90g tank so we will add another three or four. Next time I will buy them a little older and from a store where I can pick them out.

William Palumbo
02-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Is always best when you can pick them yourselves. The ones you have now may or may not be what you ordered, but like I said, not too bad otherwise. The thing is, that they are living creatures, and you have to give them the best care you can now, no matter what strain they turn into. Best of luck...Bill

mjs020294
02-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Is always best when you can pick them yourselves. The ones you have now may or may not be what you ordered, but like I said, not too bad otherwise. The thing is, that they are living creatures, and you have to give them the best care you can now, no matter what strain they turn into. Best of luck...Bill

Tell me about it.....the wife is already treating them like babies.

What foods would you recommend with juveniles. We have frozen beef heart, frozen discus cubes, frozen blood worm, live black worm, brine shrimp and a load of different dry foods.

So far they seem to love the brine shrimp but are little picky with anything else. I am just happy they have eaten already but it would be nice i they showed a little enthusiasm for something else.

William Palumbo
02-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Your foods are fine. I am surprised they are not hooked on the live blackworms. Be careful with the live worms, as most Discus who eat them get spoiled on them and ONLY want to eat them. Get them eating the BH and dryfoods, brine shrimp is a better in between (snack) food...Bill

Discus-Hans
02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
This is what we provide our customers.

http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/308,0,colour-shades,index,0.html

Maybe it helps you a little,

Good luck, it looks like you're not to bad ripped off,

Hans

mjs020294
02-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Hans - in you expert opinion what are the fish above? They are about two inches right now, largest 2.25 and smallest 1.75.

Doesn't matter if you are wrong, I just want an expert opinion. Maybe I will bump the thread in a years time. :)

Discus-Hans
02-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Hans - in you expert opinion what are the fish above? They are about two inches right now, largest 2.25 and smallest 1.75.

Doesn't matter if you are wrong, I just want an expert opinion. Maybe I will bump the thread in a years time. :)

My friend, I'm not even going to try to name them.

You're an optimistic guy, think you will bump this up within a year :(

Now I hear you think, but they have only good feedback, yeah right, try to leave bad feedback, see how long it last :p

I would say bring your Iron and bag of balls out, if it is not for you, it's for the other customers who are ripped off lol

Hans

mjs020294
02-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Maybe I could change per ball on the behalf of all the disgruntled customers. Better still they could send me their own balls with little messages written on them. To be honest Keith at Somethingphisy comes across as an obnoxious person, and I haven't even had any heated exchanges with him, YET. I should imagine it would be quite a frustrating experiece if you bought his more expensive fish and they arrived in bad shape.

Discus-Hans
02-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Maybe I could change per ball on the behalf of all the disgruntled customers. Better still they could send me their own balls with little messages written on them. To be honest Keith at Somethingphisy comes across as an obnoxious person, and I haven't even had any heated exchanges with him, YET. I should imagine it would be quite a frustrating experiece if you bought his more expensive fish and they arrived in bad shape.

Believe me, you don't have the time to handle all those balls,

Hans

mjs020294
02-21-2010, 10:38 PM
LOL

mjs020294
02-22-2010, 01:49 PM
This is the best picture I could get:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mjs020294/DSC02272.jpg

The biggest one is about 2.5 inches.

Had some feedback based on this picture from the retailer. They said the following:

From left to right: Ruby Red Mosaic, Siam Red, AquaGreen Scribble, Baby Blue Panda and Red Turquoise (this one is developing vibrant red strips already).

Does anyone have experience with those juvenile discus strains? Do they look right for their age/size?

BTW - They are all eating OK now, frozen blood worm and a little dried food. They are getting a lot more adventurous as well.

kaceyo
02-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Congrats on getting some fairly descent fish from Something Phishy. You don't know how hard that is to do. As for the names, I'm sorry to say that all except the red turquoise are made up and meaningless. At a glance they all look like variations of turquoise but it's hard to tell at this point. Feed them well, as it sounds like you are set up to do, and do plenty of WC's, and they will reveal themselves over time.

Kacey

mjs020294
02-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Congrats on getting some fairly descent fish from Something Phishy. You don't know how hard that is to do. As for the names, I'm sorry to say that all except the red turquoise are made up and meaningless. At a glance they all look like variations of turquoise but it's hard to tell at this point. Feed them well, as it sounds like you are set up to do, and do plenty of WC's, and they will reveal themselves over time.

Kacey

Yep, I gathered his naming was unconventional. Although when I look around the various sites there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency.

If I get a couple of nice fish with vibrant colors and the others stay healthy I will be happy. We will add another two or three more but make sure we select them ourselves.

90 Gallons of Fun
02-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Be sure to use the proper QT methods before adding new Discus.

Jason K.
02-22-2010, 07:19 PM
the fish don't look too bad considering the source, i too made the mistake of ordering from this guy, customer service was s#%t when i immediatley lost one fish and was told if it's in the tank it's you're problem. still have one from the order she turned to be what i can only say is a type of red cover. she has spawned several times, and all and all is a beautiful fish. hope yours grow out well for you.

keef
02-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Sounds like you have had a lucky outcome here, those fish all look ok to me. I almost choked on my coffee when you said it took 13 hours to ship them 5 miles!!! ;) What was he using? A golf buggy? Tbh though, the alarm bells should be ringing if a breeder lives only 5 miles away & will still not let you visit to pick out your fish & then takes 13 hours to ship 'em to you.

Good luck with 'em, you are getting all the right advise to grow them into nice fish :)

mjs020294
02-23-2010, 01:28 AM
In all fairness he lives in a deed restricted golf course community, so he definitely can't have business related visitors because he shouldn't be running a business from home. Most communities turn a blind eye when you operate from home but only if it doesn't impact the neighborhood. I should imagine several cars visiting a house and parking in the street would be unacceptable.

Plus the guy is a major league prick as well. I only asked him a few civil questions and he has deleted my account. LOL Someone with Keith's obvious lack of people skills is probably better avoiding too many face to face meeting.

Jason K.
02-23-2010, 12:43 PM
here's a pic. of the one i have left from somethingsphishy. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/picture.php?albumid=184&pictureid=1434

Discus-Hans
02-23-2010, 12:47 PM
You can call yourself very lucky with that one,

Hans

Jason K.
02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
You can call yourself very lucky with that one,

Hans

thanks hans do you think this fish is a mystic, what strain would you call it?

Discus-Hans
02-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Let's call it a "Miracle" for the source you got it from lol lol

Hans

Jason K.
02-23-2010, 02:15 PM

Hans

yes i'd have to agree with you 100%, guess i got a new strain on my hands..lol

colinlp
02-23-2010, 04:25 PM

Hans

I read this thread with some amusement, I can only say that that statement speaks volumes and the sooner newbies like me learn to buy from respected dealers the better. 5 miles away and wouldn't let you pick up? I fell into a similar trap recently buying my first discus. A dealer set himself up with a very very similar name to a respected breeder, I saw an advert on ebay of all places and saw the name so contacted him thinking it was the respected dealer. I ordered 6 4" fish then heard nothing for 2 weeks when on a Friday got an email asking if Saturday would be OK, I replied asking if he meant the next day or the following week. I got no reply and had to call him Friday evening when he confirmed that they would be with me the next afternoon as weren't in on the Sunday. By late evening nothing had arrived, I tried to call but no answer. Thinking they weren't coming I emailed him to cancel the order as I was getting a little cross with his bad service/communication. Instantly the phone rang and the dealer explained that the fish had left him at 8 that morning on a 2000 mile road trip with 30 drops between him and me and they wouldn't be there until very late evening or the next day. I told him that we had to go out the next day to a funeral (already explained this the day before) and wouldn't get back until evening and if he couldn't deliver by early morning I wouldn't be home until 6pm so best to get them back to him. 6:30 the phone went, it was the courier (his mate) asking directions, hen he got here it was in a ancient van with no hood or windscreen on a freezing cold weekend. The water had chilled to 15C and the fish were in a terrible state, the largest one we thought was dead. That fish has spent 7 weeks in hospital recovering and only this last Saturday made it into the main tank (measured him on the way to the tank, 4.5cm not the 4" ordered). Oh yeah I called him but no answer to my calls. Profit before customer service and fish welfare!

Morale of that rant? Hans I don't know you but many do and your good reputation didn't come from nowhere. Quality breeders or dealers are worth their weight in gold, supporting the chancers will only make the good dealers life harder, there's no such thing as good cheap discus, you might get lucky but next time I'm going to play careful.

mjs020294
02-23-2010, 04:33 PM
5 miles away and wouldn't let you pick up?.

I can understand why he will not let people pick up. Apart from he is a douche bag he also lives in a deed restricted community. He is not allowed to operate a business from home, so a stream of visitors is not going to go down well.

It might help if the reputable breeders improved their websites and bumped themselves up the search engine pecking orders. if newbies don't know they exist it is hard to order from them. Also, when you research some of the other online sellers there are a few with less than perfect reputations.

So what is a novice to do.....buy from an online dealer 2,000 miles away or one a few miles away? Both have a few bad reports on the Internet yet one involves keeping the fish on the ground and in warm Florida, whilst the other involved massive climate changes and an aircraft trip or two.

ZX10R
02-23-2010, 04:49 PM
I fell into the same trap you did. I am new to the world of discus and my first 8 came from a very good breeder up in Indiana called Rocky Mountain Discus. Well after a few months I wanted to add 2 more discus so I bought them from Somethingsphishy now today I am down to 4 discus left because of the crap that place sold me. Bad thing is I am still dealing with it I have treated my tank for everything and still lost 4 fish. I lost two just this past week and have another falling ill now. I found out about somethingsphishy to little to late. I didnt QT long enough and thought the new fish were OK so in they went big mistake. Now I went out got a 30 gallon tank for a QT tank and have enough meds to treat the shed aquarium in Chicago. Good luck with the new fish

tcmemphisbbq
02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
"It might help if the reputable breeders improved their websites and bumped themselves up the search engine pecking orders. if newbies don't know they exist it is hard to order from them. "

I have to agree - and I hope none of the very reputable dealers here on this site take this the wrong way, but from what I have noticed places like the ones on this site mentioned as poor dealers always seem to come up first on the search engines.

Being from web marketing and IT background, I know why... the sites of those doing mass online sales are kept up, interactive, lots of selection with storefront to order - alot of the really good dealers sites seem to be more static - this affects things two ways unfortunately.....the new end user wants that instant gratification of ordering online, and the sites are kept current and have lots of bells, whistles and ordering will always out perform more static sites on the search engines - it's unfortunate but I have noticed that alot of the more reputable dealers/breeders seem to have the more static.......

HAHAHA I can hear the good dealers on here now - "Too busy selling fish" hehe ;-)

Maybe I need to start a lowcost discus web design business hehe I could get those guys up there ;-) Did it for years before opening the BBQ Joint.

Tom

tcmemphisbbq
02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
But I will add, 5 miles away and no pickup woulda been a deal killer from the get go :-)

mjs020294
02-24-2010, 08:34 PM
But I will add, 5 miles away and no pickup woulda been a deal killer from the get go :-)

If you are ordering online what which would you chose:

a - A dealer a few miles away in relatively warm Florida. The fish are in transit a few hours, only on the road a few minutes and safely indoors most of the time.

b - A dealer 2,000 miles away in maybe Colorado. The fish will need to change trucks/planes, and maybe left on a cold loading bay at the airport for a hour or two.

Warning sign or not, which is a better option?

BTW - just googled mapped the door-to-door, its 16 miles actually.

Jason K.
02-24-2010, 08:58 PM
fish come from overseas in much better condition than the fish i received, their are right way's and wrong way's to transport fish. his is definetly the wrong way. he could have brought you the fish himself in less than an hour.:)

Discus-Hans
02-24-2010, 10:28 PM
If you are ordering online what which would you chose:

a - A dealer a few miles away in relatively warm Florida. The fish are in transit a few hours, only on the road a few minutes and safely indoors most of the time.

b - A dealer 2,000 miles away in maybe Colorado. The fish will need to change trucks/planes, and maybe left on a cold loading bay at the airport for a hour or two.

Warning sign or not, which is a better option?

BTW - just googled mapped the door-to-door, its 16 miles actually.

If you know what you're doing and DO CARE ABOUT YOUR DISCUS and business, you know how to ship.
We shipped last week a box from Baltimore to Alaska, of course we shipped more but I take this one as an example, the Discus went FedEx priority overnight. This means I drop them off at the FedEx around 7pm and next morning they arrive in Alaska, delivery before 10:30am.

Discus came in healthy and WARM, so distance is not the problem these days, it's just knowing what you're doing.

Hans

tcmemphisbbq
02-24-2010, 11:08 PM
I've ordered discus from reputable dealers more than once online, both arrived unharmed and I was confident doing so based on thier reputation alone - and have no doubt with my addiction will again SOON LOL.... yet I only live a short 20 minutes drive from RFI Discus in Bloomington, who has a pretty good put together website, lots of selection and lots of "cool names" and even comes up first in most search engines for "Discus fish" - and yes I learned the hard way by going with the closer shop before researching... but if I was refused to go on site to spend even a hundred bucks, yes even then it woulda been a deal killer.....

If delivery is via fed ex, it ALL goes through Memphis and the same delivery hub no matter where in the world it is, I can ship a fed ex package two doors down and it will leave my state, go through Memphis, TN central hub and back to my neighbor the next morning... lol :-)

Discus-Hans
02-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Tom close but no cigar lol.

not all go over MEMPHIS, TN

A few other hub's are:
INDIANAPOLIS, IN
PHILADELPHIA, PA
NEWARK, NJ

Hans

tcmemphisbbq
02-24-2010, 11:49 PM
interesting, didnt know they changed that :-) funny fred smith(fedex founder) wrote a paper in school about central hubbing a delivery business and I THINK he got a c or a d on the paper, and it ending up turning him into a billionaire LOL

colinlp
02-25-2010, 03:15 AM
I can understand why he will not let people pick up. Apart from he is a douche bag he also lives in a deed restricted community. He is not allowed to operate a business from home, so a stream of visitors is not going to go down well.

It might help if the reputable breeders improved their websites and bumped themselves up the search engine pecking orders. if newbies don't know they exist it is hard to order from them. Also, when you research some of the other online sellers there are a few with less than perfect reputations.

So what is a novice to do.....buy from an online dealer 2,000 miles away or one a few miles away? Both have a few bad reports on the Internet yet one involves keeping the fish on the ground and in warm Florida, whilst the other involved massive climate changes and an aircraft trip or two.

Please don't think I was criticising you, your fish are looking happy and healthy, that's the most important thing now. If my post came over as critical then I hope I came over as more critical of myself, God forbid I screwed up despite warning bells ringing all over the place. Thankfully my fish are now happy and healthy too even the one that was sick is on the mend.

I think may new to discus will always fall into this trap unless they research first and find one of the discus forums and from there reputable dealers.

SHAD0W
02-25-2010, 08:33 AM
How long does it take a baby discus to start getting its colours? How old will they be when they're about tennis ball size? How old are they when they're officially adult and full size?

mjs020294
02-25-2010, 09:07 AM
How long does it take a baby discus to start getting its colours? How old will they be when they're about tennis ball size? How old are they when they're officially adult and full size?

From what I have read there are no straight answer to any of those questions. So much depends on the strain, food, water changes etc.

mjs020294
03-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Well all five are still alive, and eating well. They have already gained some weight are are less fussy eaters. All five are actually showing coloration changes, and they are all very unique. Still not sure exactly how they will turn out but at least four of them look like they will be close to what i ordered.

90 Gallons of Fun
03-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Good to hear. Looking forward to updated pictures as they grow. Enjoy them!

Rich

mjs020294
03-02-2010, 11:16 AM
I have been trying to get a decent picture but they don't stay still long enough. Everyone of them is growing nicely and changing colors. The one that was the smallest had a few bad days, hiding and barely eating and his slime coat was patchy. However in the last three days he has done a complete 360 and he has gone from smallest to 3rd largest.

All five are changing colors and they are all very different. Its wonderful seeing the daily changes in their appearance and behavior.

SHAD0W
03-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Do all discus have red eyes?

tcmemphisbbq
03-02-2010, 02:55 PM
my white diamonds have pure white eyes with just the center dark..

mjs020294
03-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Managed to get a few pictures but not very good ones:

This one is meant to be white and red eventually, and the blue has been going lighter

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mjs020294/scrib.jpg

This one is meant to be a aqua green scribble eventually. This one is very small.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mjs020294/runt.jpg

This is meant to go red, and looks red already when the light is right.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mjs020294/Red.jpg

This one is going blue, and growing really fast.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mjs020294/blue2.jpg

Meant to grow up to be a Red Turquoise.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mjs020294/baby.jpg

All of them are healthy, and eating well. A couple are growing rapidly, and one is growing fairly slowly. All in all we are pretty pleased with them, although we will not be buying from SomethingPhishy again.

mjs020294
03-28-2010, 02:13 PM
All of them are still healthy and growing to varying degrees. The large Blue one and one in the first photo above are growing really fast. That has a lot to do with them both being greedy bullies and feeding time.

gwrace
03-31-2010, 07:40 PM
I have some little one inch discus that I received today from a hobby breeder here on Simply. Accept for the golden snake skins I can't tell what strain any of them are. It will be a nice surprise watching them grow out.

mjs020294
04-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Well I still have all five Somethingphishy Discus alive and doing pretty well. A coupe of them are really nice fish actually. I doubt they will end up anything like advertised but they are at least healthy and happy.

mjs020294
05-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Well the five somethingphishy specimens are all still doing well. Once of them is a very nice fish, good shape, nice pattern and color etc. One has grown like crazy. Two are doing well and look good. The final one has been a problem fish, never ate much and spent a couple of weeks in QT. He has finally started eating well and looks healthy although a little small.

On the flip side we have had six fish from a SD sponsor. One died unexpectedly. One of them never ate much, spent two stints in QT on meds and it eventually died last night. Another is not doing exceptionally well but he is healthy. The other three are healthy and look great.

Eddie
05-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Not to sound rude but if you got fish from SomethingPhishy and they fell ill, thats a given and then you go through a sponsor and the fish fell ill, wouldn't that point to the keeper and not the fish. :o

mjs020294
05-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Not to sound rude but if you got fish from SomethingPhishy and they fell ill, thats a given and then you go through a sponsor and the fish fell ill, wouldn't that point to the keeper and not the fish. :o

The somethingphishy fish were never ill. One of them didn't have much appetite but he is OK now.

Eddie
05-24-2010, 09:02 PM
The somethingphishy fish were never ill. One of them didn't have much appetite but he is OK now.

LOL, I thought it might but it was hard to word it without sounding like one. :o

mjs020294
05-24-2010, 09:07 PM
I edited my post before you replied. :D

I was just pointing out that sponsors fish are by no means easy to raise. I got real lucky with somethingphishy, mainly because I live so close. They are not as advertised but at least they are healthy. Actually the one in the 1st picture above is looking fantastic: round, good weight, double chin and his coloration and markings are spectacular.

The first one we lost from the sponsor probably knocked himself out on the glass. The second one that died has been a loner since the first one die. Maybe he just pined himself to death.

Eddie
05-24-2010, 09:11 PM
I edited my post before you replied. :D

I was just pointing out that sponsors fish are by no means easy to raise. I got real lucky with somethingphishy, mainly because I live so close. They are not as advertised but at least they are healthy. Actually the one in the 1st picture above is looking fantastic: round, good weight, double chin and his coloration and markings are spectacular.

The first one we lost from the sponsor probably knocked himself out on the glass. The second one that died has been a loner since the first one die. Maybe he just pined himself to death.

Its cool, I was trying to find the words. Do you think it could be water related? Maybe water composition?

Also, did you contact the sponsor on the issues you experienced? I'm sure not everyones experience with Somethingsphishy is a bad one but I just find it really hard to even put them in the same realm of dealing with discus like any of the Simply Sponsors. :o

mjs020294
05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Water parameters have always been constant. Zero ammonia and nitrite, and I struggle to keep the nitrates above 5ppm for the plants. Spent money on products like Marc Weiss Ketapeat Nuggets, and run a filter just for softening lowing the PH.

Its weird most of them are thriving yet one decided to literally starve itself to death. Even in QT after de-worming he still didn't eat.

Eddie
05-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Water parameters have always been constant. Zero ammonia and nitrite, and I struggle to keep the nitrates above 5ppm for the plants. Spent money on products like Marc Weiss Ketapeat Nuggets, and run a filter just for softening lowing the PH.

Its weird most of them are thriving yet one decided to literally starve itself to death. Even in QT after de-worming he still didn't eat.

Something that is very important in keeping discus healthy, is their intake of minerals. Discus NEED essential minerals to thrive. They intake these minerals through absorption from water and/or through their diet. Some people raise/keep discus in water with very little essential minerals and yet grow them strong and large. Much of this is due to genetics but also diet and a pristine environment. If a fish goes off food and the source water lacks these minerals, the fish will fall fast as it has zero nutrients to survive or combat illness.

Eddie

mjs020294
05-24-2010, 09:29 PM
I have plenty of driftwood in the tank, and use two Marc Weiss products:

Instant Amazon (Blackwater Conditioner): http://www.marcweissco.com/freshwater/instant_amazon/instant_amazon.html

Ketapeat Nuggets: http://www.marcweissco.com/freshwater/keta_peat/keta_peat.html

I also have peat moss and peat in one filter.

Eddie
05-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I have plenty of driftwood in the tank, and use two Marc Weiss products:

Instant Amazon (Blackwater Conditioner): http://www.marcweissco.com/freshwater/instant_amazon/instant_amazon.html

Ketapeat Nuggets: http://www.marcweissco.com/freshwater/keta_peat/keta_peat.html

I also have peat moss and peat in one filter.

But what are your calcium and magnesium levels? What's your gH? Those products will actually decrease your gH. Unless you are wanting a tint to your tank water, those products are not really necessary at all due to the amount of water that needs replaced on regular basis.

Eddie

mjs020294
05-24-2010, 09:38 PM
GH is staying stable at 6.5-7.

Eddie
05-24-2010, 09:46 PM
GH is staying stable at 6.5-7.

Thats PH, whats your gH

mjs020294
05-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Nope that was my KH :D GH is around 12. PH is 7.4

Eddie
05-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Nope that was my KH :D GH is around 12. PH is 7.4

Well your water has some hardness. Why the use of peat and instant amazon?

mjs020294
05-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Well your water has some hardness. Why the use of peat and instant amazon?

Helped stabilize the KH and PH, and it lowers the hardness slightly. Its 14 out of the tap. With evaporation the hardness would keep rising with water changes.

Eddie
05-25-2010, 03:07 AM
Helped stabilize the KH and PH, and it lowers the hardness slightly. Its 14 out of the tap. With evaporation the hardness would keep rising with water changes.

Its not gonna help you kh, there are no carbonates or bicarbonates in either of those products.

With young fish, the harder the better, higher gH. ;)