PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus

Oroborus
02-22-2010, 02:52 AM
Hello all,

Been reading this forum for the last week and it has really good info! Have been thinking about a tank of some sort of a while and leaned toward a Discus tank. I plan on keeping it simple and this weekend my husband and I went out to price tanks, stands and equipment. I'm still on the fence on whether or not I want to take the plunge. (Ha! Get it?) My main concern is that I'll become obsessed with Discus or ...bored with it?! That's why I'm taking my time to gather info.

I may end up taking up a spare bedroom for the tank and storage barrel for water changes. But anyway, thanks for all the info so far!

Here's what I'm thinking:
60 or 100+ (used) gallon tank with stand
White substrate (I know BB is preferred, but still not sure about it)
3D background
Eheim 2026 or similar canister filter (depends on tank size)
Heater (or 2, depending on tank size)

I'd really like these Discus breeds:
Albino Pearl Diamond - straited
Albino Golden
Super Flamingo
Golden Melon
Carnation Pigeon or Carnation Turq
Eruption Leopard
Checkerboard Pigeon
Ring Leopard
Classic Leopard
Altum FLora
Blue Diamond
Penang Eruption
Albino Alenquer

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions for me?

DerekFF
02-22-2010, 03:13 AM
Hey welcome to SD. I have also recently started a discus tank and I'll tell you a few things NOT to do that I have found a pain in the arse for me. Start with a bare bottom. It's much easier to clean and helps the general water quality. You can always add stuff in when you get some experience. QUARANTINE!!!!!!!! I made the mistake throwing them all in together because they looked good outside, but that doesn't mean they are inside. Now my whole tank is infected and I'm having to treat 120 gallons of water. It's making me poor for my own jumping the gun. And lastly buy fish from a reputable breeder only. Buy fewer fish of higher quality rather than more for less. It'll pay in the end, unless you have a rather large availability of funds then buy lots of high quality stock. And I'm almost positive you won't be bored with diacus, they are one of the most addicting and beautiful things I've ever had the pleasure of dabbeling in. -DerekFF

Oroborus
02-22-2010, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the advice, DerekFF. I think I'll end up getting 5 or 6 fish from the same place. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your tank, I hope your fish get better!

diamond_discus
02-22-2010, 05:43 AM
Welcome to SD ..

I also suggest you go with a barebottom tank .. cycle it first before you add any fish. Keep it simple to start with .. Take the time to learn your water parameter and yes, keep a water barrel for water change.

Looks like you are kinda local here at Southern California. I suggest you give Kevin a call. He imports discus from Lucky Tropical (Lawrence Soon). They have top Grade AA discus. You can probably visit his warehouse to see his Feb shipment. Perhaps you can pick up a few discus from him. Another good source is Kenny Discus. Kenny has the best service and excellent discus from Forrest as well. You cannot go wrong with these two sources.

There will be lots of hard work (water change, food .. etc) ... but you will get to enjoy all those beautiful discus. There are many experts here that can help answer almost any kind of questions for you.

Good luck ..

-Larry

Gunner11
02-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I have just recently switched to bare bottom in my 110 Gallon tank and I can't believe how much easier it is to keep clean. My discus are alot happier and healthier looking and seem to be getting bigger by the day.
One other thing I would suggest is to buy two tanks because you will need a hospital/quarantine tank...maybe the 100 and 60? ;)

Oroborus
02-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Welcome to SD ..

I also suggest you go with a barebottom tank .. cycle it first before you add any fish. Keep it simple to start with .. Take the time to learn your water parameter and yes, keep a water barrel for water change.

Looks like you are kinda local here at Southern California. I suggest you give Kevin a call. He imports discus from Lucky Tropical (Lawrence Soon). They have top Grade AA discus. You can probably visit his warehouse to see his Feb shipment. Perhaps you can pick up a few discus from him. Another good source is Kenny Discus. Kenny has the best service and excellent discus from Forrest as well. You cannot go wrong with these two sources.

There will be lots of hard work (water change, food .. etc) ... but you will get to enjoy all those beautiful discus. There are many experts here that can help answer almost any kind of questions for you.

Good luck ..

-Larry

I would really like to visit Kevin's warehouse. I have yet to see a top grade discus in person. Do you have Kevin's user name? Thanks!

diamond_discus
02-22-2010, 02:52 PM
I would really like to visit Kevin's warehouse. I have yet to see a top grade discus in person. Do you have Kevin's user name? Thanks!

Here's the link the their main forum :
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107
You can see some of my discus pictures there.

Kevin's username is "notjustfish"
Here's his contact info : 310-674-3474 Email: notjustfish2004@yahoo.com
He's at Baldwin Park, near 605 & 210 freeway. Should be within driving distant to you. Enjoy your tour .. you won't be disappointed.

-Larry

notjustfish
02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi,
Just give me a call to arrange a visit.
I would be more then happy to show you around and answer any question you may have.

Kevin
Not Just Fish
310-674-3474
notjustfish2004@yahoo.com

Oroborus
02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi Kevin,

I've emailed you earlier in the week, I planning on stopping by on Saturday. I'll give you a call before I head on over. :)

Looking forward to the visit!

ZX10R
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey welcome to SD. I have also recently started a discus tank and I'll tell you a few things NOT to do that I have found a pain in the arse for me. Start with a bare bottom. It's much easier to clean and helps the general water quality. You can always add stuff in when you get some experience. QUARANTINE!!!!!!!! I made the mistake throwing them all in together because they looked good outside, but that doesn't mean they are inside. Now my whole tank is infected and I'm having to treat 120 gallons of water. It's making me poor for my own jumping the gun. And lastly buy fish from a reputable breeder only. Buy fewer fish of higher quality rather than more for less. It'll pay in the end, unless you have a rather large availability of funds then buy lots of high quality stock. And I'm almost positive you won't be bored with diacus, they are one of the most addicting and beautiful things I've ever had the pleasure of dabbeling in. -DerekFF
Sounds like this post is something I would of wrote since I have just gone threw and still going threw the same thing. I have learned my leason about the quarantine it is a must with new fish.

rickztahone
02-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Sounds like this post is something I would of wrote since I have just gone threw and still going threw the same thing. I have learned my leason about the quarantine it is a must with new fish.
Normally I would agree with the QT comment but seeing as this is going to be a new tank I think there will be no need if you plan on getting all of them from the same breeder. Secondly, you will have to cycle your tank prior to introducing the discus. Discus are not good cycling fish at all and usually end up dying. Do you know how to cycle? Also, I agree with the previous comments in regards to BB. I would also scratch the 3-D background idea since they are notorious for trapping all sort of debris. If you really wanted that type of a background I would suggest a slim line one and seal it well. Be ready for a lot of water changes :-). Lastly, check out a thread i started by clicking on my screen name and read a thread that is titled something along the lines of "beginners please read". Finally, welcome to SD

Oroborus
02-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks, rickztahone. Yup, I know how to cycle a tank, I had a small tank with Angels before. Good call on the 3D background, I never thought of it that way. Also, I think I've read your beginner post about 2 times already. :)