PDA

View Full Version : Strain mixing: 4+2 vs. 3+3

Yassmeena
02-22-2010, 04:56 PM
When stocking 2 strains, is there any advantage to having 3 of each versus 4of one and 2 of the other?

Thanks!!

Yasmin

Cooldadddyfunk286
02-22-2010, 05:08 PM
I would say 3+3 is a better bet...this way you have 3 fish to hope for a male/female, and also, 3 of each strain will give better chances of getting atleast one to grow out really really well. Iv gotten 3 of 1 strain before, and I can tell you, only 1 of those 3 fish turned out how I wanted.

DerekFF
02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I thought it didn't matter strain wise if they are a boy or a girl? If they pair they pair reguardless of strain? And also isn't there relatively the same chance of getting a female/male no matter if you get 1 or 100? Aside from the fact that te more you get the better the odds of getting a male/female, but I mean from strain to strain. Ex: 100 discus total of mixed breeds will yield the same chance of male to female ratio as 100 of the same strain?

hedut
02-22-2010, 05:44 PM
For me personally :D:D:D I buy more if I like some strain:p:p:p:p for example I have 6 AF and 4 AES :p:p:p:p others just one piece :p:p:p. point is follow what you like and what you think beautiful ;);) except you planing to breed some strain;)

Ed13
02-22-2010, 08:26 PM
When stocking 2 strains, is there any advantage to having 3 of each versus 4of one and 2 of the other?

Thanks!!

Yasmin
In my opinion, all else equall, it depends on my goals and strains. Vague I know:p, but there is so much you can do with a group. Play the statistics game in your head for pairing;).

Then again, I really like getting 6-8 of one strain and then another 6-8 of another strain. :D

rickztahone
02-22-2010, 08:31 PM
I think 3+3 is your best bet if you had to get two strains because if you get 4+2 you might as well get all one strain. Imho of course

diamond_discus
02-22-2010, 09:27 PM
If I can only keep 6 in my tank, I would rather have the best 6 strains (one each) that I like and buy them from quality sources.

If I want to breed, then I would get all 6 with the same strain. Or go a bit more, 4+4 (for two strains)

Jhhnn
02-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Breeding aside, it's all in what you want to see in your tank. I'd suggest that it's probably a good idea to keep them all the same size when purchasing. Chances of having more fish of one sex than the other don't really change from one strain to another.

I like the look of a tank of discus that are all of one variety, or at least closely related varieties. That also increases the chances of a desirable pairing. Other people see it differently, and that's OK by me- not my fish, after all...

DerekFF
02-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Diamond I thought strain was irrelevant to breeding

Jason K.
02-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Diamond I thought strain was irrelevant to breeding

all depends on what you want as far as fry, buy mixing you can sometimes end up with some unappealing fish. and sometimes a beautiful new creation. all depending on the fish you are crossing.:)

Eddie
02-23-2010, 07:41 PM
I'd get 3+3 and also make sure they were compatible together if they bred.....because lets face it.....thats what they are gonna do. ;)

Eddie

Yassmeena
02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks Eddie. I agree. I went with 4+4 actually! :p:p:p

Why do I love discus so much! I don't think I'll ever know!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Yasmin

Eddie
02-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks Eddie. I agree. I went with 4+4 actually! :p:p:p

Why do I love discus so much! I don't think I'll ever know!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Yasmin

Because they are one of the great meanings of beauty and art. ;)

4+4 sounds really good!

Eddie