PDA

View Full Version : Vacation question

wadewc
02-22-2010, 10:41 PM
We are planning a trip and we will be gone for seven days. I got my daughter to feed my discus but I can not talk her into changing the water. She will only be able to feed them once in the evening. I have one seventy five gallon aquarium with seven adult discus. I have one twenty nine gallon with three discus. [1-41/2, 2-3+] I have another twenty nine gallon tank with one 4+ inch discus fish. I currently feed all tanks 5 times a day and change my water 20% one day and 80% another day. [One tank will get 80% and the other tanks will get 20% and I rotate. I only have a 75 gallon storage tank.] My concerns is water quality and feeding. I was thinking about getting auto feeders but I know my water will get dirty quick. Could I feed my fish less for these few days to help reduce all the waste with my daughter feeding them only once a day or should I get auto feeders? Will they be okay with out a water change for this long?

Thanks,
Wade

dbfzurowski
02-22-2010, 10:59 PM
hey,
i think you should be fine, i just got back from a fishing tournament, i was gone for 6days and my girl fed my fish once a day. even with my overstocked tank i had no issues when i got back. i just had her rinse the filters everyday.
have fun on your vac.

diamond_discus
02-22-2010, 11:18 PM
If they are adult fishes, I would feed them once every other day. If they are juv, feed once a day ... Only feed clean food, no beefheart. Do big water change before you leave. They should be fine with less food.

brewmaster15
02-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi Wade,
At your fishes current size you can easily get away without feeding them for that duration. lights out (ambient room light) or minimal light schedule. If you prefer , one light feeding a day...premeasure the food for your daughter so she doesn't over feed....invest in a timer so the lights are only on a few hours when she feeds..

I've gone 10 plus days here on 1 x per day feeding of quality pellets and no wc.

Only other suggestion is if your water is acidic and soft...buffer the water with crushed coral so you don't have a pH crash.

hth,
al

ps...pm if you need more details.

wadewc
02-23-2010, 07:45 AM
hey,
i think you should be fine, i just got back from a fishing tournament, i was gone for 6days and my girl fed my fish once a day. even with my overstocked tank i had no issues when i got back. i just had her rinse the filters everyday.
have fun on your vac.

dominik, I hope you had good luck on your fishing tournament. My daughter will feed my fish but she will not rinse the filters or change the water. She is afraid she might do something wrong. [She says] I think she is afraid she might accidently swollow a little water. LOL

Wade

wadewc
02-23-2010, 02:38 PM
If they are adult fishes, I would feed them once every other day. If they are juv, feed once a day ... Only feed clean food, no beefheart. Do big water change before you leave. They should be fine with less food.

I appreciate the info diamond discus.

Wade

Hi Wade,
At your fishes current size you can easily get away without feeding them for that duration. lights out (ambient room light) or minimal light schedule. If you prefer , one light feeding a day...premeasure the food for your daughter so she doesn't over feed....invest in a timer so the lights are only on a few hours when she feeds..

I've gone 10 plus days here on 1 x per day feeding of quality pellets and no wc.

Only other suggestion is if your water is acidic and soft...buffer the water with crushed coral so you don't have a pH crash.

hth,
al

ps...pm if you need more details.

Hi AL,

I did not know they can go that long without eating. Just a little nervous leaving them that long. [I have not had a vacation in five years.]Sounds like I will be okay feeding them lightly once a day. I will address the light suggestion. Knock on wood I do not have water that is too acidic or soft.

I will let you know if I have any more questions.

I really appreciate all the info.

Thanks again guys for all the help.

Wade

Harriett
02-23-2010, 02:53 PM

DITTO
Harriett

Yboat
02-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I would also preportion the food. That way you cut down the chances of over feeding.

If you have some type of fish club in your area, you can normally get some one to do a WC for you. I've done it for people and had it done for me. Just have every thing ready to go for them so all they need to do is drain and fill.

wadewc
02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
DITTO
Harriett

Thanks Harriett!!

I would also preportion the food. That way you cut down the chances of over feeding.

If you have some type of fish club in your area, you can normally get some one to do a WC for you. I've done it for people and had it done for me. Just have every thing ready to go for them so all they need to do is drain and fill.

There is a fish club that just started but I did not have the chance to attend this month. I do plan to attend next months meeting. Sounds like you belong to a great club with a great group of people!
You know I live in Oklahoma I have taken my kids ever since they were babies to lakes to swim all the time. My daughter [34 years old now.] is afraid she might swallow some of the aquarim water. She does not relize what was in the lake water that she might have swallowed while swimming. :D

I appreciate all the help with this!!
Wade