PDA

View Full Version : Having Troubles....

lkc
02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I have a 40G Breeder (not really a breeder) but its called a breeder.
Planted with only about 6 crypts and some other assorted plants. Not overly done. Flourite for the back half where the plants are and white sand in front. PH 7.4, trates, trites and ammonia all zero. Amazing with the amount of food I dump in there.....Anyway, I've got the little Red Sea C02 unit that is for up to 40 gallons. I have the pump on a timer so it only runs during the day. My lights are 4x39watt T-5's. No algae problems.
Temp is running at 90 to heal up some fin tears on the Rams.
I've got 3 rams, 4 glolight tetras and 4 neon tetras. This morning when I got up the glolights were hanging at the top looking for air. Obviously, the air supply dwindles at night when the lights are off. My canister filter has a spray bar that points upwards so there is a nice calm ripple at the top, the tank is topless. My question is, should I run an airstone during the night when the lights are off and will this make the fishies a little more comfortable?

This morning when I saw the glolights hanging at the top, I popped in an airstone and within a half hour they went back to swimming around normally. I didn't check the ph. Tonight I will check the ph before lights out, and again in the morning before lights on. Is it the tempurature?

On my reef tanks, I have a reverse light schedule on the refugium so they run at night to keep the ph stable for the tank. Would this theory work with my planted freshwater tank?

Or, does my little C02 unit put out too much? The plants are growing steadily and I haven't been fertilizing them at all.

Thanks for any input.

yikesjason
02-23-2010, 01:44 PM
An air stone at night is always a good idea. I am sure the temp is also cutting the o2 levels. Were the tetras gasping before the co2 came on?

lkc
02-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Yes, the timer is set for the co2 to come on at 8am. I rise at 6am every morning and I found them like this at 6am before the Co2 came on for the day. Thank you for the advice. I didn't know if some strange "chemistry" thing would happen if I ran an airstone. What I do know is that air raises ph. I also know the plants don't like it but the fish are my first priority and the plants come last.

Thanks again,