PDA

View Full Version : Decoratively disguised aging barrels?

Yassmeena
02-23-2010, 06:48 PM
I need an aging barrel that's not an eye sore, especially since it needs to be placed in our living space (i.e. kitched, dining room, etc) for a couple months until we move to a bigger house.

Are these safe for storing discus water? How can I know they won't leach any toxins?

Also if there are edges that can leak water, is there a aquarium safe epoxy or sealant I could apply? I don't think silicone will work well on an acrylic based material...

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/Suncast-Outdoor-Patio-Bench-Storage-Deck-50-Gallon-Capacity~26332.html?CAWELAID=327050740

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/Suncast-Outdoor-Deck-Storage-Box~26335.html?CAWELAID=327050743

Thanks!

Yasmin

Yboat
02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
i really doubt those will hold water.

get a wood table top that is say 48" in diameter, place it on top of the barrel and throw a table cloth over it.

Wahter
02-23-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't know if this will work, but it certainly would look interesting in your house:

http://www.homedosh.com/unique-water-barel-from-weyers-and-borms/

Walter

Yassmeena
02-23-2010, 10:26 PM
i really doubt those will hold water.

get a wood table top that is say 48" in diameter, place it on top of the barrel and throw a table cloth over it.

I need to call the vendor or the company to find out if they hold water. Some of them are water proof, so it may be able to...

The table top idea sounds nice, but I've got a little one at home. Gotta be baby-safe!

I don't know if this will work, but it certainly would look interesting in your house:

Hi Walter,

Holy moly, talk about a disguise! But I'm just concerned that anything tall and slender probably tips too easily to be safe around a toddler, and it may be a little too daring for my husband's taste. :p

Thanks though. :)

Yasmin

Walter

KEWX
02-23-2010, 11:02 PM
neat water barrel!

bettebulldog
02-23-2010, 11:14 PM

Walter

Was there a price tag on this? Seems like it would be outrageously priced.

I wouldn't trust those benches or storage box to hold water. That is a disaster waiting to happen especially with a young child running around.

kirkp
02-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Yasmin,

You could probably get a piece of EPDM pond liner material and put it inside of the bench.

Kirk

Jason K.
02-23-2010, 11:26 PM
also do you know if the plastic is food grade, some plastics can leach toxins.

Yboat
02-24-2010, 12:53 AM
water proof does not mean water tight, I'd bet they just have some weather striping between several parts and thats water proof.

waters10
02-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Can you put some totes like these (http://www.lowes.com/pl_Totes+and+Baskets_4294936623_4294937087_?cm_cr= Storage-_-Web+Activity-_-Storage_A1_Activity-_-SC_Storage_Area1-_-18132_5) under your stand?

I used 2 totes before. Can't remember the size, but around 20-30 gallons I believe. The problem with these, is that one is usually not enough, cause they're not very tall.

Jhhnn
02-24-2010, 12:39 PM
If you have a closet that's somewhat convenient, stash your aging barrel in there, run an extension cord for a heater and cheapo airpump. Use a large size trash container, suspend the heater away from the container itself by suspending it thru a hole in the lid... fill with your python, pump the water from there to the tank...

Just one alternative...

yikesjason
02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
I was thinking along these same lines a while ago. I was planning on building a cabinet to hold a water barrel, but never go to it. I wouldn't be that hard, just 4 sides with a hinged lid.

alan j t
02-24-2010, 03:08 PM
i use those blue 55 gallon barrels, its food grade. i made a bigger hole to squeeze my pump into it. its in a closet so no one sees it, unless im showing a buddy my settup.
an extension cord for heater and what not needed.

LizStreithorst
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Yasmin,

You could probably get a piece of EPDM pond liner material and put it inside of the bench.

Kirk

That's an excellent idea, Kirk. That way she wouldn't have to worry over whether or not it would hold water or leach toxins.

My thought is to get a regular 55 gallon water barrell, spray paint it the color of choice, paint flowers, a geometric design, or whatever is pleasing to her, putting a top on it and setting a droopy downy plant on top of that.

MikeF
02-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Is a large trashcan a good idea to use? I have a 32 gallon trashcan, but was unsure if it was a good idea to use. I did not know if the plastic contained anything toxic, and was just about ready to start my own thread. Thanks

LizStreithorst
02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
It depends on the trash can. Most of the heavy duty ones are safe, Stay away from the thin walled ones. Even the thicker walled ones will bow out. The ones with with the little wheels are a disaster waiting to happen.

Yboat
02-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I've used the brute cans for years, the wheels actually cost more then the trash can.

mmorris
02-24-2010, 05:42 PM
I need an aging barrel that's not an eye sore, especially since it needs to be placed in our living space (i.e. kitched, dining room, etc) for a couple months until we move to a bigger house.

If it's only for a couple of months, I would buy now what you will be using later. It's amazing how quickly you learn to ignore an eyesore!

Jhhnn
02-24-2010, 06:21 PM
If it's only for a couple of months, I would buy now what you will be using later. It's amazing how quickly you learn to ignore an eyesore!

Ain't it the truth...

LizStreithorst
02-24-2010, 06:59 PM

You're right, Martha. When it's all about fish what alternative is there?

Wahter
02-24-2010, 08:07 PM
I did a google search on "water barrel cover" and found one interesting idea - they used a bamboo mat to wrap around the barrel:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/PrepareToday/R7IM0PxrK0I/AAAAAAAAAc4/sndcRYXCdXY/s640/George%27s+water+barrel-+covered-final.jpg

Another website has some pretty fancy looking ones (some of these don't need to be covered):

http://www.simplyrainbarrels.com/rain-barrels/
(I guess if there's simplydiscus, there's got to be simplyrainbarrels) :D

Hope that helps,

Walter

90 Gallons of Fun
02-24-2010, 09:36 PM
I did a google search on "water barrel cover" and found one interesting idea - they used a bamboo mat to wrap around the barrel:
Another website has some pretty fancy looking ones (some of these don't need to be covered):

Hope that helps,

Walter

Wow the prices on those are insane. I just got a flyer in my water bill from the village that they will have 50 gallon rain barrels for residence for $20.00

They look the first one on that page. $20.00 vs $168.75

Check with your local village or town to see if they are offering anything like mine is.

Spardas
02-24-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm sure if it's only a couple of months, you're family won't mind a big aging barrel.

Better yet, just get one of the larger sturdier one from Jehmco and use it later in the new house. Get the one that can fit through doors and hook up a line to have an auto fill set up once you deplete a certain amount. Hook a pump at the bottom below the sensor line and just turn it on when you need to fill the tank. Throw in a heater and an air stone and it's pretty simple from there.

Connect hose or pvc or whatever you prefer from pump to tank and just fill. Now the advantage of having your tank very close to a closet is that you can hide many things and set the filling pvc pipes right to your tank without it being seen.

So it's just:
Drain & fill, drain & fill, drain & fill. :D

If you want to conserve water, have the drain hose down into holding tanks in the basement. Then when you need water to water the lawn or your garden, just pump it out through a regular garden hose.

Yassmeena
02-24-2010, 11:29 PM
So this is what I found at sams club today:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=409116

Imagine this painted ivory with flowers and vines and a plant on top, in the corner of my kitchen. How unobtrusive!!!!!!!

Yasmin,

Kirk

Nice! I haven't seen it. Do you think it will fit in that water barrel?

also do you know if the plastic is food grade, some plastics can leach toxins.

I guess the liner will help with that, if it fits... :o

water proof does not mean water tight, I'd bet they just have some weather striping between several parts and thats water proof.

Liner baby! :D

Can you put some totes like these (http://www.lowes.com/pl_Totes+and+Baskets_4294936623_4294937087_?cm_cr= Storage-_-Web+Activity-_-Storage_A1_Activity-_-SC_Storage_Area1-_-18132_5) under your stand?

I used 2 totes before. Can't remember the size, but around 20-30 gallons I believe. The problem with these, is that one is usually not enough, cause they're not very tall.

My stand is annoyingly narrow and tall. 9" wide!!!!!!

If you have a closet that's somewhat convenient, stash your aging barrel in there, run an extension cord for a heater and cheapo airpump. Use a large size trash container, suspend the heater away from the container itself by suspending it thru a hole in the lid... fill with your python, pump the water from there to the tank...

Just one alternative...

i use those blue 55 gallon barrels, its food grade. i made a bigger hole to squeeze my pump into it. its in a closet so no one sees it, unless im showing a buddy my settup.
an extension cord for heater and what not needed.

I wish. But I don't have an available closet. :mad:

That's an excellent idea, Kirk. That way she wouldn't have to worry over whether or not it would hold water or leach toxins.

My thought is to get a regular 55 gallon water barrell, spray paint it the color of choice, paint flowers, a geometric design, or whatever is pleasing to her, putting a top on it and setting a droopy downy plant on top of that.

I think we're on the same train of thought Liz. Thanks! :)

Mmmmm... not my husband. lol

http://lh6.ggpht.com/PrepareToday/R7IM0PxrK0I/AAAAAAAAAc4/sndcRYXCdXY/s640/George%27s+water+barrel-+covered-final.jpg

Hope that helps,

Walter

Thanks Walter! That looks pretty neat! :)

Wow the prices on those are insane. I just got a flyer in my water bill from the village that they will have 50 gallon rain barrels for residence for $20.00

They look the first one on that page. $20.00 vs $168.75

Check with your local village or town to see if they are offering anything like mine is.

Good thinking - will do!

I'm sure if it's only a couple of months, you're family won't mind a big aging barrel.

Better yet, just get one of the larger sturdier one from Jehmco and use it later in the new house. Get the one that can fit through doors and hook up a line to have an auto fill set up once you deplete a certain amount. Hook a pump at the bottom below the sensor line and just turn it on when you need to fill the tank. Throw in a heater and an air stone and it's pretty simple from there.

Connect hose or pvc or whatever you prefer from pump to tank and just fill. Now the advantage of having your tank very close to a closet is that you can hide many things and set the filling pvc pipes right to your tank without it being seen.

So it's just:
Drain & fill, drain & fill, drain & fill. :D

If you want to conserve water, have the drain hose down into holding tanks in the basement. Then when you need water to water the lawn or your garden, just pump it out through a regular garden hose.

Hmmm... that auto-fill feature sounds pretty neat! I hope you don't mind a PM? :o

Thanks so much guys!!!! You saved me again. :)

Yasmin

tcmemphisbbq
02-26-2010, 12:29 AM
i like that one from sams, might have to check that out myself. got a little corner next to the 75 in the dining room it could tuck into and doesnt look bad at all.

mmorris
02-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Hope that helps,

Walter

Very nice Walter! I wonder if it will still look nice when wet and moldy. :)

1Chuck9669
02-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Hello,

I used to use a 45g trash can but it developed a leak around the bottom. I've since aquired a chemical-safe white colored 55g barrel and have had no problems in over a year. It may not be pretty, but I have healty Discus because of this barrel.

In my opinion, if you are going to move in a few months then why bother with trying to please the eye right now. The quality of the water is the most important thing. No offense, but I would make do for now and plan for a future residence. Think comfort over style, for the sake of the fish.

Just my opinion. . .