PDA

View Full Version : Parents eating eggs

henpecked
02-27-2010, 01:53 PM
My pair has spawned twice. By the third day, the eggs and wigglers are gone. I have to assume they have been eaten because I keep the tank covered so as not to spook them.

I know this happens with first time pairs, but is there anything I can do to prevent it? If not, what would be a reasonable time frame for these parents to get the hang of it?

Thanks

Kingdom Come Discus
02-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Hello,

I don't have a solid answer for you. My first pair in the 90's ate their eggs and fry every week for at least six months before they turned into great parents. Others only do this a few times before they get it right. I have and still do have breeders which have never stopped eating fry and eggs. If they have laid on a pipe or spawning cone you can try putting plastic coated hardware cloth around it. However they may eat the fry when they become free swimming. If I really want to raise the fry I will do it artificially. I have good luck raising these fry artificially using the method described in the book Trophy Discus.

Good Luck,
Kraig

mmorris
02-27-2010, 10:03 PM
I would remove the female. If the eggs/fry are still eaten, the next time I would remove the male. You only need one parent to raise the fry.

LizStreithorst
02-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Good advice, Martha.

MostlyDiscus
02-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Henpecked,

Do you leave the lights on all the time? How many wigglers are there after hatching? Are there tankmates or is this a breeding tank?

Ed

runner
02-28-2010, 02:41 PM
I have a Breeding pair of red checkerboard turqs in a tank with 3 other turqs and they all are the same size[6" SL] and the same coloration, pattern, ect. I want too move them to a separate tank but the minute I put the net in they all fly in different directions and mix and I can't tell the difference.
Any ideas on how I can seperate the pair?
Jay
P.S. I know this is not a reply but I don't know how to start a new subject.
Jay

henpecked
03-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks all. After I did a little research, I realized this is the million dollar question for Discus owners.

These are the three techniques I am going to try:

1. A mesh cover over the breeding cone so at least the eggs can reach the free swimming stage.

2. remove the female.

3. artificial hatching. I found a good article on Discuspro.com that gives you 19 clear steps to artificial hatching.

I will post results as I go. If nothing else, it might help somebody else out.:D

henpecked
03-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Ooops! I did want to answer the questuions from Ed.

This is a breeding tank

I keep the front of the tank covered, the rest is painted.

Wigglers, after 2 spawns, I get about 15 per spawn.

Any advice you can offer based on this, I will gladly accept.

Kingdom Come Discus
03-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a world of Fun.

Best wishes,
Kraig