PDA

View Full Version : Buying Driftwood

jball1125
02-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Anyone know of a good place to buy driftwood online that will show you pics of the actual piece you are buying?

mlw
02-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Aquarium Plants shows pictures of the pieces.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Driftwood_Bogwood_s/4.htm

ValorG
02-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I was actually going to start selling a couple of my extra manzanita wood. If thats the type of wood you're looking for send me a PM.

Anyone know of a good place to buy driftwood online that will show you pics of the actual piece you are buying?

stephcps
02-28-2010, 12:58 AM
manzanita.com is great to work with. Just email them what are you looking for (if Martha doesn't have it!). They will send you pics of what they have.
Real nice guys!

Fishandturtlejunkie
04-05-2010, 02:44 AM
I have manzanita and sell on every other forum PM me if interested.

Apistomaster
04-11-2010, 05:05 PM
You live in Florida.
Your canals, beaches, swamps and rivers are all prime possible sources for unique pieces of wood you can collect for free. Others are doing it then selling you the same wood at a stiff price and then the freight is nearly always as much as the cost of the wood so it is doubly expensive.
There is nothing magical about the wood you buy. Someone had to go collect it somewhere.
You can do the same. I know there are many good reasons why some can't get out to collect their own wood but most of us can. I'm disabled but I guess not badly enough not to prevent me from going down to the rivers' edges.
Sure, you will have to prepare it yourself but it is of great personal value to collect your own wood, already water logged and only needing to be cleaned up. Avoid wood with bark or remove said bark.
Scrub with bleach using wire brushes. Allow at least 15 minutes between rinses and re-scrubbing with bleach. Do this at least three times. Bleach disinfects and also makes the wood more attractive.
Be sure to wear eye protection and expendable clothes because the bleach sprays all over when you scrub it down.
All the work is well worth it, fewer things are more satisfying than admiring your own self-collected, unique pieces. of wood in your show tanks and getting out where the wood is is always a god excuse for an enjoyable and rewarding outing

jball1125
04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks apisto master. I have always wondered if it would be safe to get the wood from the many canals that I have all around me, but I have always been verry reluctant because I don't know which pieces would be safe. I guess I'll go wood hunting next weekend and I'll show u guys what I found.

krucianking
04-11-2010, 10:12 PM
first and tur want kinds of piece do you have?