PDA

View Full Version : Do Red White Discus Get Dark?

Yassmeena
02-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can chime in on their experience with red white discus getting dark in tanks that are dark or have substrate.

I'm considering getting them, but my tank is black and I will add white substrate to it later. Will they change their color in these conditions in any way, and if so, how?

For the record, I HATE darkness in discus! Pleeeeez be as explicit as possible in describing any changes in color. For example, even though RGDs are nice and red, they charcoal so that would not do it for me Rose reds are beautiful but become brownish, etc...... :D:D:D

Thank you!!!!! :):):)

Yasmin

Rod
02-28-2010, 04:49 AM
Hi Yasmin, Yes some red/whites will have some dark coloring, especially on the edges of the fins. The higher quality types like Valentine would be the best choice and tend to be quite clean, or go for the albino version, they have no black what so ever. Actually, the only discus i am aware of without a trace of black is the various albinos and the snow white.

Yassmeena
02-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi Yasmin, Yes some red/whites will have some dark coloring, especially on the edges of the fins. The higher quality types like Valentine would be the best choice and tend to be quite clean, or go for the albino version, they have no black what so ever. Actually, the only discus i am aware of without a trace of black is the various albinos and the snow white.

Thanks Rod.

So the Red/whites then, when they darken will only darken on the fins, similar to a marlboro red? Or do they exhibit darkening in other parts of their body, like a pigeon with peppering or like RGDs with charcoaling?

Thanks again!

Best,

Yasmin

Rod
02-28-2010, 03:44 PM
The red/white doesn't pepper like a pigeon, though i have seen them with the odd black spot on the body. I have attached a pic of one with some black in the fins to show what i mean.

diamond_discus
03-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Yasmin:
I have one Red/White from Kenny. I don't see any peppering ..or any black around the fins. I used to like the RGD a lot .. because of the red .. but when they get bigger, there will be black at the edge of the fins .. and I don't like that. That's why I have been getting albino lately (Albino Red Melon and Albino Mystique Red Cover). Here're a couple pictures of my Red/White from Kenny.
Even with bright light, it won't turn pale like my ARM. Oh BTW, it grew pretty thick too and it seems to be a very strong strain as well.

I used to have a black bottom but I didn't notice any darkness on this fish.

-Larry