PDA

View Full Version : Autofeeders

MGKelly
03-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Has anyone had a problem with condensation bogging down your automatic feeder? I have a eheim double compartment feeder and the condensation causes the flake to stick together. I have pellets also, but don’t think it would work any better.

Any ideas or maybe suggestion on a different feeder?

Eddie
03-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Has anyone had a problem with condensation bogging down your automatic feeder? I have a eheim double compartment feeder and the condensation causes the flake to stick together. I have pellets also, but don’t think it would work any better.

Any ideas or maybe suggestion on a different feeder?

I use the Eheim 3581 and never had any condensation issues. Do you have your feeder near an area where moisture comes out of the tank. Something like an airstone bringing water droplets out from the top. This can/will saturate the flakes.

Eddie

MGKelly
03-02-2010, 12:13 AM
I use the Eheim 3581 and never had any condensation issues. Do you have your feeder near an area where moisture comes out of the tank. Something like an airstone bringing water droplets out from the top. This can/will saturate the flakes.

Eddie

Eddie,

I have an acrylic cover with 3 openings for heater cord, air lines and the feeder.
These openings are the only outlet for moisture and the bottom of the acrylic cover is always soaked. So yes, moisture is coming out and saturating the flake, but it seems I don't have any other choice.

diamond_discus
03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
I have Eheim 3581 (either fish or turtle feeder) for all of my tanks. Some tanks even have 2. The water level is also very close to the feeder .. There are moisture at the bottom of the compartment .. but never have any impact to the pellets or flakes ..

I never use the Eheim double feeder .. It's too expensive for me .. I bid the Eheim turtle feeders from ebay .. ~$15 each ...

akumastew
03-02-2010, 01:25 AM
I am planning on being out of the house for a week in May.

No-one will be home for that time.

Would the Eheim 3581 settings allow for a daily feeding, one time per day, for 8 days?

- Stew

diamond_discus
03-02-2010, 01:30 AM
I am planning on being out of the house for a week in May.

No-one will be home for that time.

Would the Eheim 3581 settings allow for a daily feeding, one time per day, for 8 days?

- Stew

Yes, that feeder allow you to have 4 feeder times per day. Each time, you can have the feeder to turn twice. You can keep the same settings for the life of the battery.

I suggest you try out the feeding amount a few days before you leave. Feeding once per day should be fine, Don't overfeed to mess up the water while you are gone.

gotfish?
03-02-2010, 03:27 AM
i had this problem before....
do you have a canopy? if so i would just keep one glass lid on the tank for your feeder to sit on. that will give condesing water more opening to come out evenly elsewhere. keep the lid close to the back opening just incase a fish ever jump out. you can also get those wire/mesh lids reptile keepers use for their tanks as another option.

MGKelly
03-02-2010, 03:33 AM
i had this problem before....
do you have a canopy? if so i would just keep one glass lid on the tank for your feeder to sit on. that will give condesing water more opening to come out evenly elsewhere. keep the lid close to the back opening just incase a fish ever jump out. you can also get those wire/mesh lids reptile keepers use for their tanks as another option.

OK, I'm going to try this!

thanks, Joe

MRQuad
03-02-2010, 03:44 AM
i used Eheim 3581 no problem at all..