PDA

View Full Version : Need a nod

NanDiscus
03-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Hi all,

I am posting this just to get the go ahead from the more experienced members of the forum, before I'd start the general clean-up of my Xingús prior to their relocation to the 1000-liter-tank.
The idea is to give them a good treatment with Prazi and do a quick PP bath right before the transfer.

As for the Prazi, I have the pure stuff and I will be dosing at 250mg/100 liters, making it 750 in my tank.
Administer on the first three days, then on day 4 a flat-fish water change, give them another three days to come back to their senses before striking two more times, just like that.
After the last three days of rest following the third week of treatment I will transfer all the fish in separate 3,5 gal buckets and give them a dip in PP. Dips I've done quite a lot, but never dewormed fish any other way ever. Apart from pumpkin seeds once.

This treatment scheme was suggested by the top-notch fish doctor in Hungary and it was supported by the country's most experienced discus hobbyist.
Which almost obviously means, that I'm getting really nervous at this stage...

Water: 75ppm, pH7.2, Temp.: 27,5C, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: peaking at about 30.

The ultimate reason why I 've decided the treatment is because although I do not have scientific evidence to prove the presence of gill flukes in my fish, I have good reason to assume so. In spite of the immaculate tank and water conditions, and with absolutely no visible signs of bacterial or other types infections, there are still a number of fish with quite weak gill action. Since the fish come from the wild and I have no real idea about whether they have ever been treated -properly-, I think I've ruled out pretty much everything else, other than gill flukes.

What do you all think? All input would be much much appreciated.

Cheers,
Nandi

Eddie
03-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Nandi, the Praziquantel amount and treatment seems fine. If you suspect gill flukes, Prazi powder form can be effective. There have been many reports on prazi not being effective on flukes but it may work for you. Prazi is very easy on the fish and they tolerate it very well.

I think I would skip the PP dips altogether. I personally do not like PP as a dip, I prefer a 4 hour bath and I also do not like PP for fluke treatments. If you are stuck on doing a dip, why not perform a formalin dip?

Eddie

NanDiscus
03-03-2010, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the comment Eddie! I stick to the original plan then, but leave out the PP dip. There is no space and time for a bath, so it just isn't going to happen.
Nice new avatar you've got there!

Nandi

Eddie
03-03-2010, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the comment Eddie! I stick to the original plan then, but leave out the PP dip. There is no space and time for a bath, so it just isn't going to happen.
Nice new avatar you've got there!

Nandi

Thanks Nandi, all the best and love them Xingus!

Eddie