PDA

View Full Version : Java wood

jball1125
03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Has anyone ever used java wood as driftwood succesfuly?
They have very nice and unique pieces at the reptile shop by my house but they have never had anyone put it in an aquarium so I was wondering if it would sink and if it was safe?

yikesjason
03-04-2010, 01:01 AM
I think java wood is more like a branding name than an type of wood. I think you are talking about a polished wood. I don't know that it would work well because they probably use wax or something to polish the wood like that. Even if the polish is safe for your aquarium, I doubt it would soak up enough water to sink.

jball1125
03-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Darn! The type of wood is used a lot for bird branches. Its and Indonesian wood. I knew it was too good to be true, the pieces are really really unique with all sorts of twists and bends. I don't think that it is polished but rather sandblasted, however I'm not gona risk my discus over wood no matter how cool it is. Lol. Thanks for the help

Yassmeena
03-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Darn! The type of wood is used a lot for bird branches. Its and Indonesian wood. I knew it was too good to be true, the pieces are really really unique with all sorts of twists and bends. I don't think that it is polished but rather sandblasted, however I'm not gona risk my discus over wood no matter how cool it is. Lol. Thanks for the help

Malaysian driftwood is pretty nice. Maybe something to consider!

Yasmin

jball1125
03-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I actually have some pieces of malasian wood but I was looking for something big and there aren't any places by my house that sell big pieces. I know buying online is an alternative but for big pieces shipping can be a hassle.

1nvad3r
03-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Try Manzanita bit pricey but cool root-like shapes

bluedimond123
03-14-2010, 02:05 AM
If you did try it you could screw it to a piece of slate and then berry the slate in gravel.
Jeff