PDA

View Full Version : Question and advice needed about past occurrence of hex

peterhql
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
In Sept 2009 I started out with seven 2.5 inch juveniles. I've since lost two of those initial fish to what I now can only assume is Hex or s vortens. They had stopped eating, were lethargic, pinched forehead, looked anorexic, small white poos eventually becoming huge white jelly like poos.

I never treated the main tank with Metro, I attempted treating one fish in a separate tank but probably did not dose properly. The remaining 5 fish never showed symptoms and seem healthy, though I now have doubts about the new runt of the pack.

I've just received a new batch of 3 inchers from Hans and they are in their own QT tank atm. (HANS IS THE MAN BTW, but I don't have to tell you guys that)
My question is, Should I be worried about eventually adding these new fish to original batch in the main tank?

Are those originals carriers and would infect the new ones? I've read that perhaps all discus have S vortens in some form and the only prevention is good nutrition and care? Or is it possible to eradicate it with proper treatment?

It's funny in this case I'm actually more worried about my original fish than new ones.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME IN READING THIS POST,
Peter

Eddie
03-04-2010, 07:33 PM
It is as you've read, discus can have flagellates, worms, parasites, anything and "MAY" be fine, appear to be anyways. The fish has its own defenses and can fight off issues if in good health from diet and environmental conditions.

Make sure you quarantine your news ones and observe them for any issues over several weeks and then add 1 of your existing fish to the quarantine tank and observe them for an additional 2 weeks.

Eddie