PDA

View Full Version : Planning stages contest 3..Hobbyist challenge!

brewmaster15
03-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Hi all,
I'm beginning to plan out our next contest... as you all should know..We are currently running contest number two... ( closing date to be announced another thread and another time:))

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165

.and though not over yet...theres been some killer fish raised..

Last year we had almost 50 interested members.... Contestants were chosen from that pool and it was a hard decision... I'm thinking of doing things slightly different this next year..provided I Do this contest again at all... Its alot of work to put together these things......

but I'd like to ask you all how many would seriously be interested in participating if I did do another contest... You'll need the tank space and commitment to raise a group of fish to adulthood.. You'll also need to be able to receive the fish in the USA ( Canadians are welcome...but have to pick up at the USA side by fedex)..Participants would be responsible for the shipping.. You need to be able to post many updates, photos and videos. I also can't guarantee at this point that the fish would be free as they have been the last 2 years...But I will work what ever deals I can...I have already started talking with our various sponsors and will do so more as the time approaches.

Again , this is all in the realm of hypothetical...Just kicking around ideas and want to gauge the interest. Please don't Pm your entry application to me... just sound off here.

Thanks everyone,
al

dbfzurowski
03-05-2010, 02:37 PM
It would be my dream to participate in the next contest. But, I would like to know when it would start/ when people would be receiving the fish.
I'm moving beginning of summer and planing a killer setup in the new place :D but it will take awhile before i have this up and running as my girl is gna make me redo the bathrooms first :(

diamond_discus
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Al,
I am definitely interested in the new contest. What is the minimum tank size requirement ? Does it has to been planted tank ? barebottom ? I have two 55 gallon BB tanks available. My tank setup is not as nice as others .. but they are just simple and clean tank, nothing fancy though. Posting updates and pictures would not be a problem .. but for videos, I need to figure out how to do so.
-Larry

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
I wish I could throw my hat into the ring, but im afraid I have no room to setup a tank or two to do it right...let alone time. Maybe next year.

-Ryan

brewmaster15
03-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi Dominik,
Contest 3 would start as soon as I 1)find fish 2)find funding 3) find Time..:D seriously... its going to take me a bit of time to put it together.. so I can't give a date yet.

Larry,

You obviously have not seen my hatchery here..;):D:D:D Fancy is nice but Discus only the notice the clean water, good husbandry and good food!:) Tank size, planted or not..its all up the contestant..

-al

05 LL Stang
03-05-2010, 03:26 PM
I have been waiting patiently for this years contest. I AM DEFINATELY INTERESTED!

LGelb
03-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I would be very interested in this opportunity.

Justice
03-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I am interested as well!

Alok
03-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I am interested! I have a planted tank all ready to go and if the contest is starting soon, I will just hold off purchasing any discus for this tank... :)

rickztahone
03-05-2010, 03:49 PM
depending on the time-frame i would be interested. We are in the process of acquiring a house and would have a 55, 60 bowfront, and a couple of 40's available.

diamond_discus
03-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Larry,

You obviously have not seen my hatchery here..;):D:D:D Fancy is nice but Discus only the notice the clean water, good husbandry and good food!:) Tank size, planted or not..its all up the contestant..

-al

Okay, good to know .. I brought a few 1" blue discus from a local LFS .. and grew them to 6"+ (a couple even closer to 7"). I feed them all kinds of food .. but for this contest (if I can get in), I plan to feed primarily my beefheart mix and the Freeze Dried Black Worm, and see how they would turn out, especially with the FDBW. Also, no colorbits or any other food that has color enhancement .. just to see how the fish would grow out with natural color. My two tanks will be ready. I can even make room for a 90 gallon if I need to.

Al, thanks for the time you put in for this website. Much appreciated.

-Larry

MikeF
03-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Hey Al,

I would be interested in participating. I did enter last year, and will also enter again this year if a 3rd contest is planned.

David Rose
03-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Count me in!

Chad Hughes
03-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Heya Al!

I'm sure you'll have plenty of new contestant for round three, but I'd do it again in a heart beat!

For those of you that have been following this year's contest, you can see how much fun it is! Plus, who wouldn't love some free discus! LOL!

Best wishes to you all!

Larry Bugg
03-05-2010, 04:51 PM
I would definitely be interested. Our local Aquarium association is holding our bi-annual auction this coming Sunday and I will be empting out a couple of 55's with fish I am carrying to sell so the tank space wouldn't be a issue. Like Diamond_Discus I would find it interesting to see the affect of Mal's FDBW as the primary food. It is now my staple with my Discus. I still mix in some Beefheart and FBW and pellets are fed in auto feeders while I am at work but FDBW are now the staple. Eddie grinds up the FDBW in a coffee grinder and feeds his new fry. Might even try putting that in the auto feeders. I love taking pictures and videos of my fish. Have already posted quite a few here, you tube and my local associations forum so no issue there.

gotfish?
03-05-2010, 05:20 PM
i wanna join! me and my 75gal will kick everyone's buttt(can you say that in here?) :D

diamond_discus
03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
And I forgot to mention that I recently change my water from regular tap water to household water softener water ... It's working quite well for all my discus. But I am curious to find out if this type of water would allow me to grow out some big fish like I did with tap water.

David Rose
03-05-2010, 07:03 PM
i wanna join! me and my 75gal will kick everyone's buttt(can you say that in here?) :D

Size does matter and my 125G tank will kick your 75G tank's butt! ;)

Eddie
03-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Man Al...you are gonna have me moving back to the states just to compete! :D

I wish I could....:(

All the best in the 3rd contest!

Eddie

David Rose
03-05-2010, 07:27 PM

Eddie

Don't take this the wrong way...but I'm kind of relieved...you'd kick butt Eddie! ;)

ockyra215
03-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Al,
Count me in!I have been brokering a deal on some 55 gallon tanks.I have 1 right now and should have a few more in a couple weeks.I would love to compete in the contest I think it would be a good learning experience for everyone.:D

Eddie
03-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Don't take this the wrong way...but I'm kind of relieved...you'd kick butt Eddie! ;)

LOL, I'm sure you would too David!

Take care buddy,

Eddie

diamond_discus
03-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Eddie

Eddie, you are a breeder now .. We can't compete with your seafood mix..
Agree with David .. i am relieved ... HaHa ...;)

-Larry

Larry208
03-05-2010, 09:18 PM
I would be interested and would apply.

Larry

tcmemphisbbq
03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
I would like to be considered - will have the room and im on this site several times per day :-) Plus it would be a good over challenge and learning experience i would love a shot at.

Thanks
Tom Cuneo

Ed13
03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
:wave:

snoopy65
03-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I would love to be a contestant! I have an empty 35, 55, and 75 gallon just waiting for some discus.

Discus-Hans
03-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Now IF I had an empty tank, I would join lol lol

Oepssssss it's Hobbyist challenge, they say I'm not a hobbyist anymore :(

Hans

phatdave
03-05-2010, 11:04 PM
My 85 and the secret live food will RULE!!!!:bandana:

Dave

Tofe
03-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Al,
Count me in:D

Brian

jaykne
03-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Hey Al, just put togather a fish room would love to be part of it this year just need to learn how to do pics and videos though. Larry

prolude006
03-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Id be up for it, only thing I dont feed any of the mixes you guys use. I do earthworms, flake, bits and frozen foods so that would have to be alright in the contest.

I have a planted or a bb to use so either way on that.

Sounds like a lot of fun as it looks like challenge two produced some great fish from everybody.

P.S. Id say let Hans enter but only if he provides all the fish!! =) .......doubt we would stand a chance though!

Chad Hughes
03-06-2010, 12:20 AM

Hans

Hans, you're supposed to donate the fish! :D

Scribbles
03-06-2010, 05:19 AM
I would love to throw my hat in the ring if my finances permit. I would also be willing to help you with this Al if there is anything that I can do.

Chris

David Rose
03-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Glad you mentioned it Chris... I'm there for you as well with any help you may need!

Let's make this happen!

brewmaster15
03-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Chris and David,

Thank you!!!!!!:)

-al

scottthomas
03-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I also would be interested. I have plenty of tank space and would enjoy posting pictures and updates as I already visit this site everyday anyway.

Oepssssss it's Hobbyist challenge, they say I'm not a hobbyist anymore

Hans

I would say you are still a hobbyist but I have never seen a picture of an empty tank at your facility.:D It would actually be fun to compete against a Discus expert.

rickztahone
03-06-2010, 04:25 PM

Hans
you could be part of Control group hans. There is always something to learn from discus keeping. For everything in life for that matter.

tdiscusman
03-06-2010, 09:21 PM
I would love to participate. I've recently got back to discus, and have been on simply 6-8 hours a day for the past 6 months. I've learned alot and ready to put it to good use. I've a plan that would kick everybody butt. :)

Tony

fish4fun
03-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I wold definetly be interested and see that there are no other Canadians showing interest yet. My only problem would be having to go to the US to pick up the fish....wonder if there is a way around that.....HMMM

1Chuck9669
03-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi Al,

After being successful with my current stock of Discus for the last two years I feel confident about participating in your third Discus Challenge.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Steve_Gurule
03-06-2010, 11:11 PM
I am throwing my name in the hat also, I am ready!

roclement
03-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Al,

Please consider me for the next challenge, it would be an honor! And I would kick butt!!! :)

Rodrigo

Richy44
03-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Hi Al,

I would be very interested in being your Canadian participant. I have the space, time and commitment. Please consider my request.. I will pick up the fish on the US side for sure. Not a problem..

Anxiously awaiting..

Cheers

Rick

swank
03-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Pick me, pick me.. Im definately a newbie here, I just put the water in a 125 tonight... Long ways to go.. Im competative, give me a chance..

calihawker
03-13-2010, 11:02 PM
As a current contestant I can say that it's been a wonderful time and a great learning process. Looking forward to the next round!

bmrin1
03-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Al,
I am interested as well. I am currently setting the tanks back up and fishless cycling right now. Several new toys are on the way(thanks Chad for the new air pump) and ready to get back in with both feet.

On a side note thanks for the pm's that we exchanged. It was the spark that I needed. When I get out to Connecticut I will let you know. Man I can't believe that I was one of the guys here on the first day of Simply. Hit the big 4 oh my god I am 40 this week. Discus are an addiction you never get over. Thanks for everything Al.

Brian

Chad Hughes
03-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Brian,

You've hot my vote for challenge three!

Good luck on the selection.

Best wishes!

Al,
I am interested as well. I am currently setting the tanks back up and fishless cycling right now. Several new toys are on the way(thanks Chad for the new air pump) and ready to get back in with both feet.

On a side note thanks for the pm's that we exchanged. It was the spark that I needed. When I get out to Connecticut I will let you know. Man I can't believe that I was one of the guys here on the first day of Simply. Hit the big 4 oh my god I am 40 this week. Discus are an addiction you never get over. Thanks for everything Al.

Brian

clairel
03-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Your Al'ness',

It doesn't seem like there is much interest in this idea, Al...wait a sec...Canada vs. the USA. I think we know how that one ends, eh? I would love to get knee deep in this one. Bring it, boys!

Claire

Big Tuck
03-14-2010, 12:40 PM
As my health continues to improve daily,my desire to have Discus again grows by the second.My Doc. says OK fine and my wife says AGINNNNN!!!!!. Im moving back to the states,and made sure the house were buying has a extra building(heated with water)Im allready planning my new set up(unbenoing to my wife)God willing ill be able to enter ,but even if im not selected,im going to have Discus again!!! Tuck

KJoFan
03-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I'd love to compete again. I was part of the original contest but have learned so much since I'd love to test my skills once again!

clairel
03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
hi Tuck...i am happy to hear that you are on the road to good health. A year of new beginnings, eh - sounds like fun. Enjoy! all the best, Claire.

Richy44
03-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery..Welcome back Tuck..nice to see a post from you again..

Rick..

sherry123
03-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Might as well throw my hat in too :) only have a 90 tank with discus in it at the present, but have 2 55's and a 70 tall sitting empty, just waiting on fish :)

keno
03-19-2010, 09:18 AM
How about a ryder cup style? Europe against the America's?

Your Al'ness',

It doesn't seem like there is much interest in this idea, Al...wait a sec...Canada vs. the USA. I think we know how that one ends, eh? I would love to get knee deep in this one. Bring it, boys!

Claire

nc0gnet0
03-19-2010, 09:29 AM
I would love to have a chance to compete. Are newbies allowed to enter?
Might I suggest picking contestants via raffle style (providing they meet requirements). Perhaps a monetary fee for each entry to help cover the administrators costs?

I have available a 200 gallon, 125 gallon, 90 gallon, 75 gallon and a 55 gallon tank along with 200 GPD RODI.

rickztahone
03-19-2010, 11:25 AM
As my health continues to improve daily,my desire to have Discus again grows by the second.My Doc. says OK fine and my wife says AGINNNNN!!!!!. Im moving back to the states,and made sure the house were buying has a extra building(heated with water)Im allready planning my new set up(unbenoing to my wife)God willing ill be able to enter ,but even if im not selected,im going to have Discus again!!! Tuck

I'm glad you are on the mend Tuck. it's great to have you back and getting back into discus. it's hard to stay away :D

Eddie
03-19-2010, 11:28 AM

I missed this post! Man Tuck, thats fantastic to hear! I am so glad your health is improved and it would be amazing to see your fish again. Once you finish with the move, let me know where you end up, I'd like to stop by and see the fish room!!!!

Take care my friend and all the best!

Eddie

Singin4Cnu
03-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Depending on when this gets off the ground I would be VERY interested! Let me know :)

~Singin4cnu

darkknight87
03-22-2010, 12:48 AM
I think Ive finally beefed up my experiance enough to be interested in it..and I Could probably have at least a 55gallon to do it in...so count me in as being interested :D

DerekFF
03-22-2010, 01:15 AM
I would love to have a chance to compete. Are newbies allowed to enter?
Might I suggest picking contestants via raffle style (providing they meet requirements). Perhaps a monetary fee for each entry to help cover the administrators costs?

I have available a 200 gallon, 125 gallon, 90 gallon, 75 gallon and a 55 gallon tank along with 200 GPD RODI.

Dang you have way to many tanks to be a normal human being! Im not even sure how you have that many empty tanks or space to keep those lol. On another note id be interested in this newly bred idea of a 3rd contest! I guess as its still an idea ill just keep checking back here for more info. Thanks!
Derek

Barr1542
03-22-2010, 01:15 AM
I would be interested, granted I am a noob but that might make the contest more exciting!

JaredP
03-22-2010, 03:18 AM
I'd love to paticipate. The idea of the contest was always great before I officialy signed up.

I'm curently raising some 2" discus.

My available tanks would be several 30 breeders. I have a 45 tall south American chiclid tank live planted, and three 55 gallon live planted tanks for 'show'. One of which is empty of fish waiting on my new discus to grow to a point I feel safe putting them into a live planted tank.

I have a Eos 10d camera and several digital recordingcamcorders.

I am new to discus but I am confident in my ability to grow somme amazing fish!

brewmaster15
03-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Well it doesn't look like I have a shortage of interested participants!:)...didn't really think I would.;)....but still its good to know. Okay all....I'll be working on sourcing the fish and funds and will let you all know when we will start... won't be for a bit still...I'm not taking any apps now though.....not until I have all my discus in row and we are ready to run with it.

Thanks all,
al

darkknight87
03-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Well, I will just have to keep[ my eyes open for this then. :)

ifixoldhouses
03-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I would do it, just got a new 125 gallon.

hope
03-22-2010, 08:45 PM
I would love to be picked, too!

srusso
03-22-2010, 08:51 PM
I am a new to Discus also... I am getting 6 - 3" discus in next week. I would love to add some extra to grow with the group. I would love to have a chance to compete and I am in CT so I can pick them up if I need too! Please count me in!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

wadewc
03-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Looks like you have alot of enterested contestants AL. I would like to participate myself but I have all the tanks I can handle at the moment. But if there is anything I can help you with let me know.

Wade

Keith Perkins
03-22-2010, 10:00 PM
For the first time in my discus life, I have a couple of empty tanks that would be up for a challenge. Count me in as interested if you decide to take it on again Al.

babers
03-23-2010, 11:39 AM
I would love to participate also in the challenge. Got 2 empty 55 gal tanks available.

dbfzurowski
06-18-2010, 08:40 PM
:D

Bree7
06-18-2010, 10:36 PM
I'd be thrilled if I were picked to enter this competition. I'm all in! I'd really love the chance to participate in this awesome opportunity! Be sure to let us know when we can enter our information to apply! I actually have lots of extra tank space.

kaffeene
06-19-2010, 12:13 AM
I am waaay to new to discus and just learning my fish to participate in the challenge, but I do have time to help in other ways, assuming help is needed. If there is another kind of help that is needed, I'd be up for it.

barrowkwan
06-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Al,

I have a thought ( not sure if it is doable ). If you have problem to find fish source from sponsor ( I know it is not easy especially if you are looking for free fish ;) ), can we do a "double" contest. First contest is to look for nice pairs from simply's members. Winner pairs will get a price provided that he/she is willing to contribute baby ( 2-3" ) discus from that pairs. Second contest is for simply's member to raise those discus for a year.
this is just a suggestion if you can't find fish source..

Barrow

FarmerD
06-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I can say one thing for sure ....... Would be an honor to attempt to do as well as last years participants. Have thought about doing my own growout in the HARD water conditions we have here, just so I know it can be done. Regardless, I will enjoy following whomever is chosen ...

Dustin

2075turner
06-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Can I enter my boys???:p

They do some water changes and feed the fishies around here.:)

KeonTheKing
06-19-2010, 06:47 PM
i do have a empty 37 gallon in the backyard maybe........ but idk if it enough :D

Dan
06-19-2010, 06:56 PM
i'm game :)

machine77
06-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Im down Al!! I have both the time and space. It would be a privilege to be apart of something like this!

Nolan

danyal2
06-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm very interested! I've learned so much since last contest.

Aquaben19
06-19-2010, 11:20 PM
I am interested for sure and I do have room and space. It would be a dream come true to participate in something like this.

FarmerD
06-20-2010, 05:01 PM
After talking with my girls ..... I will for sure throw my name in the hat. I think it would be REALLY cool to set up a tank in her 7th grade Science Classroom at school. Small school in the coastal town of Cayucos California ... Teacher is all game, but would be a HUGE effort on my part to be there daily for water changes........... that is until I can teach the kids to do them:).

zamboniMan
06-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Al,

I have the time, the interest/enthusiasm, and the space to participate.

Josh

tcmemphisbbq
06-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Will there be an application to fill out? :-) Im ready - got a 75 allll empty and ready LOL

DiscusOnly
06-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Just a thought.

Would it make it more interesting if current winner automatically qualify (if he/she wishes to do it all over again) to defend the title. I know this may take away 1 spot from a potential participants but as you turn this into a traditiona, I think it would be great to give the winner an opportunity to repeat. Some may think that it's not fair since it may give an unfair advantage but my take on that is if you are not up for a challenge, why bother?

Just my .02

Van

acroken
06-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Just a thought.

Would it make it more interesting if current winner automatically qualify (if he/she wishes to do it all over again) to defend the title. I know this may take away 1 spot from a potential participants but as you turn this into a traditiona, I think it would be great to give the winner an opportunity to repeat. Some may think that it's not fair since it may give an unfair advantage but my take on that is if you are not up for a challenge, why bother?

Just my .02

Van
Van, i think that is a great idea. This last challenge was such a great experience for me, i would do anything to be involved again. I am up for the challenge and will hold this title proudly again if given the opportunity. I think it would bring this next challenge up notch:). I already went through it and know how competitive it can be and it is a perfect fit for me. I am a competitive person and will push this next challenge to the limit. Al, what do you think? As Van has said, this would be a great tradition to start and i know myself. I will not go down easy. Give it some thought. It would be a great honor to defend this tile!

Kenny

Aquaben19
06-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Al,

I had a few thoughts, and I apologize if any of them have been mentioned previously.

Why not have an application fee? Just make it $5. Not only does a small application fee help fund the contest but it could actually weed out those that aren't too serious. I highly doubt anyone would be against this as they would still be getting high quality fish for free.

I don't know how it worked in the past but make those selected pay for shipping. The person donating the fish already donated fish, they don't need to donate shipping too.

I think what you are creating on this website is going to be one of the most exclusive awards in the hobby in years to come. There will not be many people with the Barb Newell Award, and after a few more years I can only see it gain in popularity and expand across seas.(By then people will probably be paying for everything just for the right to compete for it.)

Anyway, HTH.

target
06-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi Al,

I just found this thread, don't know how I missed it! I am definitely interested and would be thrilled to be chosen to ba part of the third contest.

I am just getting into a new place with tone of room so I would have more than enough space to start a new discus tank. Participating in this challenge would be great.

I loved watching last year's contestants raise such beautiful fish and this would be great way to expand my knowledge of discus keeping. Please keep me in mind (as I am sure every other interested person is saying) Thanks in advance for the hard work I know you will put in if you start a 3rd contest.

nc0gnet0
06-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Would it make it more interesting if current winner automatically qualify (if he/she wishes to do it all over again) to defend the title. I know this may take away 1 spot from a potential participants but as you turn this into a traditiona, I think it would be great to give the winner an opportunity to repeat.

Why not make him the control? Then the winner of the contest could face off against the control group..................

DaddyO
06-21-2010, 10:27 PM
I would love to be part of this. I would consider myself the longshot. But in the words of Muhammad Ali, I plan on shocking the discus world. LOL....Plus I think it would be a-lot of fun and very rewarding. On a serious note, it would be a great way to get to know a-lot of the members on this board and really challenge me to master the art of Discus in a relatively short time, It is the only way I will be able to get a nice size tank in my house with the wife's approval. I have my eye on a nice big bow front. Heres Hoping... George.