PDA

View Full Version : Discus Fear

KelDiscus
03-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Noticed something in the past with some of my Discus. They know when your coming to feed, they recognize that blob of a human being with food. Though on the flip side they also recognize water changes and medicinal treatments with that blob too. I have had mixed bipolar reactions from my Discus. Both happy and freaked out over all 3 issues. Seems that socializing and or tricking the fish might come in handy.

Anyone ever thought of someone covering the tank sides when they water change or treat with medicine to throw off their instincts? Seems to me maybe someone else has thought of and tried this with some success? As you cannot avoid water changes, neither medicinal treatments would seem nice to have your fish always welcome you with open fins :angel:

Scribbles
03-06-2010, 05:29 AM
My discus are always happy to see me. They love their wc and come up front to interact. It goes without saying that they are front and center for feeding too. I've never medicated them so who knows. I really don't think that covering the sides would change your discus' behavior because as soon as you start syphoning water they are going to know what's up. It may make them feel more secure just hanging out though.

Chris

ockyra215
03-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I used to paint all the sides of my tank except for the front ofcourse but it seemed to keep them calm and less scittish.but if its a show tank it may not be the solution to your .problem

kaceyo
03-06-2010, 07:07 PM
If your discus are freaking out when wc's etc are done, then there is something wrong. It could be any of a number of things from shadows and position of the tank, to water quality or pathogens.
Check all your parameters first to make sure the water is OK. What is the pH of the tank water and wc water? Are temps the same? etc.
Observe them closely for signs of illness such as fast breathing, dark color, flicking or rubbing etc.
Try to pin down the reason for their nervous behavior.

Jhhnn
03-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Mine were skittish about water changes at first, now I have to gently nudge 'em out of the way with the siphon tube to clean the bottom. Some come over and chase the debris up the siphon tube, thinking it's food, and my paired female will attack it if she's getting ready to spawn... They're adaptable, they get used to a routine. Meds? the few times I've done that, they really didn't even care- no reaction beyond "Huh?"...

Fish that get netted much freak out when they see one, kinda hard to get around that one...

keno
03-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Good advice here, water quality is the first thing I would check. Hows the ammonia and nirtrite?

Is the ph or temp changing drastically?

Bright sun in a room will cast so many different shadows during the day that can really send discus into a panic.

I have found that covering the sides and back of the tank can make a HUGE difference in their behaviour, you can try and remove the sides a few months later if they have calmed down.

Discus want stable unchanging conditions when it comes to water and surroundings.

KelDiscus
03-10-2010, 06:16 AM
All interesting feedback, I have had tanks with 3 sides painted and I find that discus do like that best and being higher up. Not all mind you as I've seen them in baby baths on the floor or bags asking to get out...and it depends on their personal health.

I do know that the discus I had that were not happy with the water changes were partly due to the PH fluctuation I was having. I couldn't help it, and holding water was not practical. Though I've since downgraded and I'll ask more on that elsewhere. I do appreciate the answers and I will definitely try to soften up on the meds they did not like certain kinds!

Also dark colors, I notice shadows and dark colors must when cast as mentioned with light resemble the biggest natural predators in the Amazon, Birds? Causing some sort of instinctual reaction.