PDA

View Full Version : Going for broke?

simpleton
03-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Having gotten back into a "limited" collection of Discus I find I'm ready to concentrate on breeding wild fish. I recall Jim Quarles stating that there is so much inter-breeding that is is vertually impossible to document how any particular variation has been arrived at!

I recently renewed an association with a friend who has a "quality" fish shop in our town. He is working with me through his supplier, for wild fish. My first order was for Heckels. I have five about the size of a tennis ball. I keep them at 40ppm's and a PH of 4.4, temp of 87 deg.

I've never had fish that display and "nudge" each other as much as these do! I have Oak branch tips in the tank and they look incredible going through the "root" jungle this produces. Right now they are a beautiful gold color with just a hint of the predominte center bar! Nice blue coloration of the back and towards the tummy.

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I would like to keep a "public" journal on the progress of their growth and spawns ( if at all)

My next order, in a couple of weeks, is for wild greens. Speaking of which, Fish King has some wild greens which in reality look like incredible Red Spotted Greens. Anyone had any dealings with them? I'm going to email for prices, but I'm sure I will go into cardiac arrest when they quote prices.

Any one else venture down this path?

Russ

bettebulldog
03-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Fish King has some wild greens which in reality look like incredible Red Spotted Greens. Anyone had any dealings with them? I'm going to email for prices, but I'm sure I will go into cardiac arrest when they quote prices.

Any one else venture down this path?

Russ

I would steer clear of fish king. I dont even know how they are still around. Just search fish king here and read the posts. Alot of people have been screwed real bad by them. Other wise sounds like fun what you are doing and good luck.

bettebulldog
03-06-2010, 01:01 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=75710&highlight=fish+king

rickztahone
03-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Do you have a 10 foot pole? If so, please use it to keep away from FishKing

simpleton
03-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Got that impression about Fish King! Figured that is what I would hear. Thanks all! So far I really am happy with the fish I received ie; Heckels.

WHOA! tried to load some file pictures and blew out the limits!?

rickztahone
03-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Got that impression about Fish King! Figured that is what I would hear. Thanks all! So far I really am happy with the fish I received ie; Heckels.

WHOA! tried to load some file pictures and blew out the limits!?
Go to photobucket.com and create an account. Its free and it will re-size it for you :-)