PDA

View Full Version : age barrel

swank
03-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Using a garbage barrel for an age barrel, getting a python for cleaning/ refilling purposes.. ? What kind of power filter should I use to syphon the water back to the tank? I have an 125..thanks for you help:)

diamond_discus
03-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I am using a Quiet 2200 pump from Jehmco .. I would recommend getting the Quiet 3000 instead. Ask John to get you a low cost adapter for your python.

dbfzurowski
03-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I've been using one of my empty tanks for water aging, how do you tell is a plastic container is safe? It doesnt aay anything on the lable

swank
03-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Good question, I purchased a new garbage can from Wally world, rinsed it good with hot water. Im thinking is should be fine.. I guess I'll soon find out...

swank
03-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Whos John??

Jhhnn
03-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Whos John??

The owner at Jehmco.

If the aging barrel and the tank are on the same floor of the house, you don't need a very strong pump- the one diamond discus recommended or similar would be entirely adequate.

I use second-hand 55gal blue food grade drums for aging water. They're tough, thick walled, built for being knocked around. Expect to pay ~$20, less in the winter. I found a source on Craigslist, a guy who works at a medical supply outfit. I cut a hole in the top with a jigsaw, rinse 'em out really well, suspend a heater thru one of the bungholes, add a big heavy sinking airstone, lower the pump to the bottom on the cord and hose. I also wrap 'em in insulation, set 'em on a piece of scrap foamboard, cover the top in bubblewrap. Other people use a powerhead to agitate the water, depending on their situation.

It's extremely important to find an honest source if you go that way, because all kinds of stuff is transported in this kind of barrel. Mine originally contained propylene glycol, which is non-toxic. Lots of others had fruit juice or soft drink concentrate, vinegar, etc. I wouldn't recommend any that contained cooking oil, because they'd be tough to rinse out. soaps, detergents or anything like that are a big no-no...

Some of the heavy walled trash barrels are good, too, although I'd advise due diligence because some have anti-mold additives in the plastic.

diamond_discus
03-07-2010, 01:34 AM
I also use those blue 55 gallon barrel. I brought mine from http://www.cruzcontainers.com. They asked me the usage purpose of the barrel and then make sure they sell me the food grade type barrel. ~$25 each and I asked them to give me the open top one.

All my tanks are in the garage fish room and inside my living room. The pump I recommend is good for 60 - 75 ft distance (same floor level).

Jason K.
03-07-2010, 01:50 AM
not all blue 55 gallon drums all though food grade have been used to store food substances, i've seen some that have been used to store acids and such. plastic containers have stamped on them a recycling code, #4 is food grade so a 44 gallon garbage can like the brute is suitable for aging your water. but this is not alot of water if you have a large tank or numerous one to tend to. david rose has a really nice set up his holds 100 gallons. theirs a post of it here Re: Water Changing Techiques

nc0gnet0
03-13-2010, 09:44 AM
I also use the 55 gallon blue barrels. A good washing is a must and I would run several cycles of water through them before using the water on your discus tank. I use them for holding my RODI water which IMHO is the best way to leach any residual contaminates from the plastic.

swampy1972
04-02-2010, 07:46 PM
I use second-hand 55gal blue food grade drums for aging water. They're tough, thick walled, built for being knocked around. Expect to pay ~$20, less in the winter. I found a source on Craigslist, a guy who works at a medical supply outfit. I cut a hole in the top with a jigsaw, rinse 'em out really well, suspend a heater thru one of the bungholes, add a big heavy sinking airstone, lower the pump to the bottom on the cord and hose. I also wrap 'em in insulation, set 'em on a piece of scrap foamboard, cover the top in bubblewrap. Other people use a powerhead to agitate the water, depending on their situation.

Do you add any dechlorinator or is the agitation/aeration enough to remove the chlorine/chloramine? What time frame would you consider the minimum to be effectively aged?

Jhhnn
04-03-2010, 09:29 PM
My tapwater contains chloramines, so I use prime. I change water daily, fill the barrels immediately after I empty them, so the water basically gets aged for 24 hrs. I have used the water in as little as 10hrs with no ill effects.

Everybody's water is a little different, and lots of people seem to get by on a lot less. I probably could, but I have no incentive to even try... safe and consistent makeup water serves as my baseline for what has been successful discus keeping, at least so far...

swampy1972
04-03-2010, 11:17 PM
My tapwater contains chloramines, so I use prime. I change water daily, fill the barrels immediately after I empty them, so the water basically gets aged for 24 hrs. I have used the water in as little as 10hrs with no ill effects.

Everybody's water is a little different, and lots of people seem to get by on a lot less. I probably could, but I have no incentive to even try... safe and consistent makeup water serves as my baseline for what has been successful discus keeping, at least so far...

Thanks Jhhnn,

I'm looking to completely change my water regime. I'm fighting a constant battle with instability at the moment so I think an aging barrel is a good place to start. I'm tired of being a pack-mule for buckets!