PDA

View Full Version : white spot on pectoral fin

sherry123
03-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Ok..i know, I'm just being paranoid. I noticed this on one of my valentines this morning, none of the others in the tank have any white spots. I have had these for a little over 3 weeks and do a 50-60% water change every other day. I do a small water change every morning just to clean the bottom, and the big one late in the evening so they can "relax". The one with the spot looked a little pale when I first saw it, but now the color looks back to normal. There is a small white spot on the right pec fin? any suggestions. (Please say just watch for a day or two and that it's nothing :)

sherry123
03-07-2010, 09:34 AM
oopss..I forgot to mention that the bottom fin had a small black area on it, on the bottom of it. I noticed it about 2 days ago and just thought it was where he was rubbing the black substrate on bottom when he hid. He eats fine and acts fine and looks like he's breathing normal

sherry123
03-07-2010, 10:01 AM
one more :( was just getting ready to do a big water change and noticed a small white spot on one of the turquiose right in front of the dorsal fin, looked like its on the fish not the fin?

Chester
03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
one more :( was just getting ready to do a big water change and noticed a small white spot on one of the turquiose right in front of the dorsal fin, looked like its on the fish not the fin?

does it look fuzzy?

Cheers

Chester:)

Chester
03-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Theres a questionaire in the sticky part of this forum. Maybe best fill it out.

Cheers

sherry123
03-07-2010, 12:23 PM
thanks :) now that you mentioned that..i do remember seeing it before..

sherry123
03-07-2010, 12:36 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
I just noticed a small white spot on one of my valentine's pectoral fin. That one also has a little black on the bottom of the anal fin (I thought that was from brushing against the bottom of the black substrate? Also, when I got ready to do my water change I noticed one of the turquoise had a spot above its drosal fin

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
the valentine looked a little pale this morning, but after it had been up for a bit the color looked fine. They do dart when spooked, but thats about the only time. Other than the white little spot on the pec fin

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Haven't tried anything yet, just did a 80% water change

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
90 gallon with 10 juvies in it. about 3-4" now. There are also 4 oto cats and 5 tetras

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
appx 50-60 % water change daily, and a small clean up after eating beefheart. Black gravel on bottom. I use tap water that they have been in for about 4 weeks now and the parameters are all fine. My PH is about 7.4, but they came from tap water and have grown about 1/2 " in the past 4 weeks and eat great (like pigs)

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _85____

- ph _7.4____

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading ____

- well water __yes__

- municipal water __no__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

no

sherry123
03-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Theres a questionaire in the sticky part of this forum. Maybe best fill it out.

Cheers

it doesn't look fuzzy, just a small solid white spot..LOL i tried getting the magnifying glass up to the tank but the fish wouldn't cooperate and come close enough

joanr
03-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Sherry, IME these little spots come and go and never amount to much, a little salt with your next w/c might help, however you really need to get the muck out of the substrate when you are keeping discus, the substrate is a breeding ground for bacteria. Most of us grow out discus in bare bottom tanks and then transfer them when they are adults to a show tank, but try stepping up the w/c to every day for awhile and maybe even store your water for 24hrs in a storage barrel with heat and air going.

sherry123
03-07-2010, 01:58 PM
thanks :) I usually shake the python in the gravel till it runs clear all over the bottom, thats why its a 60% water change lol takes me that long to do it all. I did just add some salt to the tank though :) thanks for reminding me of that..I'd slacked off on that. I need to go get a big tub to store the water in..please explain to my husband why i'm doing all this lol

Chester
03-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Valentine > This is probably a small injury. If so they heal at an astounding rate. Watch and report back.

Turk > This one im wondering about. Could it be an injury too? Could a loud noise or something have set them all off in your absence? Gotta watch things you put in the tank. Nothing sharp. As Joan says, non iodized salt for now and report back.

Something to consider. W/C's> Water from wells and municipal sources are notoriously devoid of oxygen. If the do a large W/C, do you see lots of little bubbles all over? if so, this is CO2. This means your tap water is poor oxygenated. Consider doing only 50% W/C's unless its an emergency or adding water to another vessel, and run a good stream of air into it for a few hours. Drive that CO2 out :) Since your on ground source water, you may want to consider a 2 cartridge pre water filter system. Heavy metals and a 0.3 micro silver ceramic.

Cheers

Chester :)

Eddie
03-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Sherry, IME these little spots come and go and never amount to much, a little salt with your next w/c might help, however you really need to get the muck out of the substrate when you are keeping discus, the substrate is a breeding ground for bacteria. Most of us grow out discus in bare bottom tanks and then transfer them when they are adults to a show tank, but try stepping up the w/c to every day for awhile and maybe even store your water for 24hrs in a storage barrel with heat and air going.

+1

sherry123
03-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Valentine > This is probably a small injury. If so they heal at an astounding rate. Watch and report back.

Turk > This one im wondering about. Could it be an injury too? Could a loud noise or something have set them all off in your absence? Gotta watch things you put in the tank. Nothing sharp. As Joan says, non iodized salt for now and report back.

Something to consider. W/C's> Water from wells and municipal sources are notoriously devoid of oxygen. If the do a large W/C, do you see lots of little bubbles all over? if so, this is CO2. This means your tap water is poor oxygenated. Consider doing only 50% W/C's unless its an emergency or adding water to another vessel, and run a good stream of air into it for a few hours. Drive that CO2 out :) Since your on ground source water, you may want to consider a 2 cartridge pre water filter system. Heavy metals and a 0.3 micro silver ceramic.

Cheers

Chester :)

ahh..i'll watch today for bubbles..never thought of that! :) I do have a canister filter that keeps the water flowing and a sponge filter..and they could have spooked, I've seen them do that a few times, so the turquoise may have scraped something.

sherry123
03-08-2010, 12:33 PM
They are still doing great, they don't act sick or like anything is wrong, but the little spot is still there, but there aren't anymore so? must just be a scrape (crossing fingers) I did add salt yesterday and will do a less percentage water change today and add a little salt :) thanks all!

Eddie
03-08-2010, 07:09 PM
They are still doing great, they don't act sick or like anything is wrong, but the little spot is still there, but there aren't anymore so? must just be a scrape (crossing fingers) I did add salt yesterday and will do a less percentage water change today and add a little salt :) thanks all!

Sometimes the spots are encysted bacteria. I have a few discus with the same spots that have NEVER gone away. If its close to the edge of the fin, I have trimmed off the cyst and the fins grew back...spotless. :D If its too close to the body, I would not trim the fin. This is why I still have a few with the spots, I don't want to cut that close to the body.

Take care,

Eddie

sherry123
03-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks..it is just one, and close to the edge :) ....not sure i'm comfy cutting fins yet lol

Eddie
03-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks..it is just one, and close to the edge :) ....not sure i'm comfy cutting fins yet lol

Oh its very easy, the fish doesn't even know what's going on. Simple clean cut and then plop back in the tank. I've actually cut fins just because I did not like the shape, they grew back more uniform after I did my trimming. :o

All the best!

Eddie