PDA

View Full Version : TO AERATE OR NOT TO AERATE??

alexfl73
03-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi All,

I知 getting conflicting opinions on water aging. I have 2 55 G Holding Drums which house my water for my W/C. I keep the water agitated with an airstone and a heater keeping the water relatively close to the temp in my tanks (mid 80's).

I have been told that agitating and heating the water is waste of time. All I need is to keep the water in tanks for a day or so prior to doing my w/c. I was always under the impression I had to heat a aerate. I知 looking for opinions on this matter. Thanks all!!

Eddie
03-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi All,

I知 getting conflicting opinions on water aging. I have 2 55 G Holding Drums which house my water for my W/C. I keep the water agitated with an airstone and a heater keeping the water relatively close to the temp in my tanks (mid 80's).

I have been told that agitating and heating the water is waste of time. All I need is to keep the water in tanks for a day or so prior to doing my w/c. I was always under the impression I had to heat a aerate. I知 looking for opinions on this matter. Thanks all!!

You need to agitate the water and heat it, and depending on the whats in your water...treat it.

Eddie

alexfl73
03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
yes forgot to mention, that i treat it as well. Ok so you agree to agitate and heat

Eddie
03-07-2010, 07:30 PM
yes forgot to mention, that i treat it as well. Ok so you agree to agitate and heat

Yes, air and heat. Your fish will love you for it.

Eddie

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-07-2010, 08:52 PM
The ONLY way I would say no need to agitate/aerate your water is if it was pretreated through a large degassing tower. But even then, if you are heating it you need to have the water moving (aerated) to heat it evenly and efficiently.

-Ryan

mjs020294
03-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi All,

I知 getting conflicting opinions on water aging. I have 2 55 G Holding Drums which house my water for my W/C.

If you are adding Prime (or equivalent) and there is nothing special in your aging water (like driftwood or moss) then there is really little point aging it.

Eddie
03-07-2010, 10:14 PM
If you are adding Prime (or equivalent) and there is nothing special in your aging water (like driftwood or moss) then there is really little point aging it.

Actually there is, depending on the PH and amount of co2 gas in the water, it is critical. ;) And as you may assume the amount of stress on the fish is near null, the regular stress will weaken the fish over time and then you'll be posting in the disease section. Then I'll refer you to this post. :D

Eddie

Jhhnn
03-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Leaving confusion aside, I'm with Eddie. Heat and aerate your makeup water to make it as much like the water in the aquarium as you reasonably can, minus the waste products. People who fill from the tap often end up with issues because the tapwater varies in terms of dissolved gasses, which can be harmful to your fish. Aged water at the right temp avoids potential problems.

nc0gnet0
03-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Is it neccesary with RODI water? I wouldn't think so as the water pretty much drips into the storage barrels......Opinions?

Yboat
03-08-2010, 01:44 AM
RODI water is very "dead" there is really nothing in it. I would personally not use strait RODI water. at the very least you should heat it and check it for TDS( give you a idea of the condition of the membrains)

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-08-2010, 02:02 AM
Is it neccesary with RODI water? I wouldn't think so as the water pretty much drips into the storage barrels......Opinions?

Even though it has been processed to such a point that it contains very little anything in it, it is still necessary to aerate it in some form or another. pH balance, dissolved gasses balance (very important), etc.

Bottom line is that if you age your water (regardless of source), there is no excuse to NOT heavily aerate it. Better safe than sorry.

-Ryan

Scribbles
03-08-2010, 03:17 AM
Definately heat and aerate.

Chris