PDA

View Full Version : cleaning/refills tanks

swank
03-07-2010, 08:38 PM
whats best way to refill and clean tanks?? What does your setup look like for refilling? Do you use the 5 gallon technique or have you upgraded? I have a 125 and looking for the most econimcal way of doing everthing.. thanks jon

Eddie
03-07-2010, 09:30 PM
whats best way to refill and clean tanks?? What does your setup look like for refilling? Do you use the 5 gallon technique or have you upgraded? I have a 125 and looking for the most econimcal way of doing everthing.. thanks jon

I gravity drain all my tanks using a 1 inch diameter vinyl tube, takes less then 2-3 minutes to drain a 55 gallon tank. I fill using standard 3/4 tubing with several hose adapters that allow attachment to the faucet and on the ends of each hose, I use one of these attachments.

http://www.jehmco.com/assets/images/CustomFloCompleteKit.jpg

I don't use all of it, just the part that hangs over the edge of the tank. This allows the water to splash enough to gas off my tap water.

Eddie

JL15219
03-07-2010, 11:20 PM
I gravity drain all my tanks using a 1 inch diameter vinyl tube, takes less then 2-3 minutes to drain a 55 gallon tank. I fill using standard 3/4 tubing with several hose adapters that allow attachment to the faucet and on the ends of each hose, I use one of these attachments.

http://www.jehmco.com/assets/images/CustomFloCompleteKit.jpg

I don't use all of it, just the part that hangs over the edge of the tank. This allows the water to splash enough to gas off my tap water.

Eddie

This is cool did you DIY it or is it something you bought? Draining a 55 gallon in 2-3 min would be awesome.....how exactly does it work? Maybe a pic of your actually setup?

Eddie
03-07-2010, 11:24 PM
The only thing DIY is the hose to faucet attachment for filling. I then have the hose attached to the Custom Flow attachment, which hangs on the tank rim. For draining, my tanks are near windows and doors so I literally siphon drain outside since my house is on a concrete slab that is built for water run off (heavy rains in Okinawa). I can do 9 tanks in an hour tops. :o

Take care,

Eddie

Yboat
03-08-2010, 01:45 AM
you could do the same thing with some 90 degreen pvc fittings, some pipe, and some hose.

Eddie
03-08-2010, 04:28 AM
you could do the same thing with some 90 degreen pvc fittings, some pipe, and some hose.

Heck yeah, that would save a nice chunk of money. I use the custom flo system pieces because they were given to me ages ago. Put them to good use. ;)

Eddie