PDA

View Full Version : Help with food suggestions

Cardinal
03-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Hello, just had a big problem with some food I got from Wet Thumb Aquatics. They have a frozen product call Discus Treat. A combination of beef heart and other vegetables. My discus love it but it caused some pretty bad cloudiness in my water. I stopped feeding them with it 2 days ago, did a 40% water change and complete filter cleaning and the water is still cloudy.

Today I'm going to syphon the rocks while doing another water change and hopefully that will work.

This thread has 2 questions.

What is a good food to use besides worms that I can try? I have fed them black & red worms but I think the red worms cause a little cloudines also, maybe I'm wrong. Black are good but I want to add something different

What is a good way to get the water clearer? 150g acryllic tank; 2 emp 400's with purigen (250ml) divided up into 1 each of their media containers. I have ceramic discs, in the other media containers & 2 filter pads in each.

I also have 2 magnum 220's with 6 scouring pads in each cannister along with the blue filter sleeve.

Occassionally (1-2 times a week) I run my Diatom XL filter to help.

I have 10 discus, 4 are mature and 6 juveniles, 3 angels and 2 silver dollars. I do not consider myself an overfeeder, twice a day, rarely 3 times a day.

15-20% water changes weekly.

What else can I do to get the water crystal clear?

Thanks,

whitedevil
03-08-2010, 12:27 PM
feed less, I noticed with premium foods that water cloudness is an issue. I just use filter floss and it keeps the water sparkling clear. I have a few boxes with no guts around here I just shove floss in and it makes the empty housing a floss box.

mjs020294
03-08-2010, 02:29 PM
I picked some Omega Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp up at the weekend because the LFS had a 2-1 offer on Omega products. I chose the product because it had a decent protein percentage (50%). I have been very impressed with the product as a filler food or treat for the fish. The cubes can be broken up and once added to water the shrimp separate into nice mouth sized portions. Once in the tank they are perfect for Discus.

They sink slowly and keep re-circulating to the surface and none make it to the aquarium floor. My Discus love them and they dart across the tank when they see one slowly sinking down. From feeding to all the shrimp sinking takes about twenty minutes which gives the Discus plenty of time to fill their stomachs slowly.

Chad Hughes
03-08-2010, 02:36 PM
With a tank of this size and all the filtration that you have running, your water should be like glass! I don't think you have a food pollution issue here. How long has the tank been set up?

Cloudy water is usually a sign of bacterial or algae bloom. Your diatom should take care of an algae bloom, but if it's bacterial, your filters should handle that. I'd be very curious to know what your nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels are. Bacterial blooms typically occur during cycling or re-cycling.

Hope that helps!

Cardinal
03-08-2010, 04:11 PM
With a tank of this size and all the filtration that you have running, your water should be like glass! I don't think you have a food pollution issue here. How long has the tank been set up?

Cloudy water is usually a sign of bacterial or algae bloom. Your diatom should take care of an algae bloom, but if it's bacterial, your filters should handle that. I'd be very curious to know what your nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels are. Bacterial blooms typically occur during cycling or re-cycling.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the input from all of you.

The tank has been running NON STOP for over 6 years now. I thought I had alot of filtration also!! I used to have an arrowana and stingrays at different times over the years and that's when I increased my filtration.

Algae bloom may be an idea, I have never experienced anything like that, but the only thing I have done differently in the past year was add the new food.

It really has been a head scratcher lately

Still looking for opinions!!