PDA

View Full Version : Whats up w/ the white face

Eddie
03-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Man, is there any solid red discus out there anymore. Every red discus is white or yellow faced. Its like the old school marlboro reds. Did somebody lose the solid bright red gene or what?

Eddie

phatdave
03-09-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm with you. My wife HATES the clown face look.

All Red is pretty nice .

Dave

Moon
03-09-2010, 10:47 PM
I thought that Stenker's fire reds are all red.

Eddie
03-09-2010, 10:49 PM
I thought that Stenker's fire reds are all red.

Yup, those are about the only ones left! Go Stendker! Guess everybody lost it. :o

Eddie

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-09-2010, 10:54 PM
I used to have solid red faced red melons from Asia a few years back....beautiful breeding pair that I bought off a guy in Ohio. I havent seen hardly anything like that anymore. Stendker's fire reds are the closest.

-Ryan

Eddie
03-09-2010, 10:57 PM
I used to have solid red faced red melons from Asia a few years back....beautiful breeding pair that I bought off a guy in Ohio. I havent seen hardly anything like that anymore. Stendker's fire reds are the closest.

-Ryan

Its crazy, they just disappeared! Its every the darker red straind, down to the rose reds, red covers, ica reds, san merahs. These are more of a burgundy red but yet they still have a totally different colored face. :(

Somebody needs to bring this back, seriously.

Eddie

Jorge
03-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Its crazy, they just disappeared! Its every the darker red straind, down to the rose reds, red covers, ica reds, san merahs. These are more of a burgundy red but yet they still have a totally different colored face. :(

Somebody needs to bring this back, seriously.

Eddie

I'm with you Eddie, I'm with you!!!!

Imagine, let's say, a 3R or a 3R2 with a red face.. It must be a beauty for sure.

William Palumbo
03-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Eddie, my batch of RGD's from Mike(Jeffrey Yang) were pretty solid throughout. I do not care for the white faced fish myself. One of the reasons I never kept any Marlboros...Bill

diamond_discus
03-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Yep, yep yep .. I have been looking for solid red fish for a few years now .. never seen one.
Even my recent AMRC is orange/red face ...

Eddie
03-10-2010, 12:45 AM
I know, its spread throughout alot of the Albino Reds and even Albino yellow white. I mean its not even that I want any its just so unappealing. Reds used to look so majestic but now that face kills the look of the fish IMO.

Maybe some day somebody will put forth the effort and bring back a real red. :o

All the best,

Eddie

moik
03-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Mike beals has some adult albino san merahs with all red faces for sale..You are right that most if not all reds are white or yellow faced,,I was never one for any strain of discus that you had to color feed to make it look good anyway,but thats just me..

Eddie
03-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Mike beals has some adult albino san merahs with all red faces for sale..You are right that most if not all reds are white or yellow faced,,I was never one for any strain of discus that you had to color feed to make it look good anyway,but thats just me..

I saw those ASMs and actually commented on them being my second choice of the shipment. It was primarily due to the solid color, very striking albinos IMO.

I hear you about the color feeding. :(

Eddie

Chad Hughes
03-10-2010, 01:27 AM
I asked this very same question a whileback.... The only possible lead thatI came across was Hans. I asked him about his possible red fish but didn't get much of a response..... maybe give him a shot?

Scribbles
03-10-2010, 03:42 AM
Hans has solid reds. I was thinking of this the other day too. Years ago I bought the most beautiful Marlboro Red that was solid fire engine red with black fins and no pepper. I got it from a shop in Seattle where the guy bred discus as well as imported.

Chris

brewmaster15
03-10-2010, 09:24 AM
I think what has happened maybe because most of the Red mellon types have been out crossed to the golden line to clean them up...remove pepper. This has really led to cleaner fish....yet something may have been lost in the process...namely the solid color of the facial region.

Just a guess...

Personally I Like the contrast of the solid Body and lighter face.....although a solid solid would be very welcome here as well.

-al

phatdave
03-10-2010, 09:25 AM

Who is Mike Beals?

Dave

Eddie
03-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Who is Mike Beals?

Dave

He is a sponsor CODISCUS. ;)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Eddie

ltd
03-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Leaving Stendker discus and the adult Albino San Merah from Central Ohio Discus and Jeffrey Yang aside, Is there a full red body discus like a RGD, 3R, REd MElon, etc., but with a red face too (not white, not yellow, but red)???

Please, can someone post pictures of a full red body discus and what strain is it?? Where can it be found?

Eddie
03-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Leaving Stendker discus and the adult Albino San Merah from Central Ohio Discus and Jeffrey Yang aside, Is there a full red body discus like a RGD, 3R, REd MElon, etc., but with a red face too (not white, not yellow, but red)???

Please, can someone post pictures of a full red body discus and what strain is it?? Where can it be found?

I wish there was but unfortunately not. :(

boonseong
03-18-2010, 05:47 PM
I bought this off a fellow SDer a couple months back. He told me this was a red melon. Heh, looks more orangy to me eh?

Do you know what strain is it?

Eddie
03-18-2010, 08:57 PM
I bought this off a fellow SDer a couple months back. He told me this was a red melon. Heh, looks more orangy to me eh?

Do you know what strain is it?

It looks like a Red Melon. Some are more solid than others and it can depend on what you feed them. ;)

Eddie

vss
03-18-2010, 09:49 PM
I think it's the nature of discus to show lighter coloration on the face, like the wild red browns usually don't have red coloration on the face...pigeon bloods have yellow to orange base color, so if the body color is orange red like Marlboro, the fish will look like fully red...but if the body color gets deeper, usually we will more or less see some color difference between the body and face. The version I heard about the white face red melon is that it is the result of crossing Marlboro with brown-based solid red...the purpose is to intensify the red color and to reduce the forehead striation. The side effect is to turn the face white, since the brown-based solid red has ghost gene in it to reduce the striations.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54172&stc=1&d=1268963343

I've seen several pictures of a pigeon based strain in asia that is almost solid red even in the face with clear fins and tails like the one above, kind of a pity that they don't have red iris. I think to some people the white face is actually a desirable trait, at least the sharp contrast of maroon red body and white face doesn't look bad to me. :)

-Xiaofei :)

Eddie
03-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Yeah, maybe someday there will be a solid red, face and all. The mask is not nice at all. :(

Discus-n00b
03-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I like the mask on some of the red fish, I think it looks good.