PDA

View Full Version : Banning Fishing, Is this true?

yogi
03-10-2010, 12:07 AM
I was sent this link to look at about banning fishing. http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/saltwater/news/story?id=4975762

underwaterforest
03-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Sounds a little excessive, we will see what they are planning. As most people fish where I live I can see lot of anger against it. As a ocean, river fisherman myself I understand the benefits of having limits on fishing to overall fish population. Usually it is the commercial fisherman that "use up" all the fish and the sporting crowd doesn't have as big an impact on the total fish population. I do see their point of view in more stringent regulation, because since moving to the North coast of California I have only seen the fish populations disappear rapidly, such as the salmon, halibut and the rock fish primary. But these problems are very complex and usually related to habitat loss (e.g. logging salmon) or pollution and sometimes overfishing puts them over the edge.

The humble rock fish (e.g. snapper) can live much longer than us (some to over 200 years) and don't even start to be sexually mature until 22 years of age. Something to think about when you are frying up your snapper fish sticks. We are still juveniles in our understanding of fish population dynamics ans sadly we may never know before they disappear. As a fisherman I support regulations on fishing, but a total ban will cause people to lose the true value of fish and fishing. That being said I would really would like my kids and future generations to know the experience of fishing and of fish. If it takes banning fishing to assure that I would have to support it, but I feel a compromise can be made.

John_Nicholson
03-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Fish populations are fine. This is nothing more then the anti-human, pro animal nut cases having a president in office that is insane. They are going to get everything they can before the next election. Facts and science will have no bearing on the outcome. All I can say is don't blame me I did not elect him...LOL.

-john

brewmaster15
03-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Alls I can say is I see an article that gives zip for information on exactly what is the plan...unless someone else sees something I don't in there.:)

oh btw... theres a flip side to everything....;)

http://mediamatters.org/research/201003100014

-al

Darrell Ward
03-11-2010, 02:09 AM
I searched and searched, and could find nothing based in fact to support this claim. It appears to be just more of the same old political "scare tactic" propaganda.

wildthing
03-11-2010, 06:16 PM
It is just more far right-wing conspiracy theory/propaganda.

But....world fish stocks are in trouble...estimated down 90% since the 1950's

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:6AHKOkXHsZ4J:www.fao.org/newsroom/common/ecg/1000505/en/stocks.pdf+world+fish+stocks&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj3PWxgekcBIYzAa0fPYNs3cFilofRrvimapliM pVZ3Rkpg_sC7BTP2p8jSiPOZikn_aiXJqf1r1gorifEluTvDiL SlXC0kjBe92LQQLmyIwtkeuF9nm65alOp4-Ea_CMMqhfE4&sig=AHIEtbQo47iwQmO3PJaRBwnoB8Oz7wqhFQ

Darrell Ward
03-11-2010, 06:24 PM

But....world fish stocks are in trouble...estimated down 90% since the 1950's

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:6AHKOkXHsZ4J:www.fao.org/newsroom/common/ecg/1000505/en/stocks.pdf+world+fish+stocks&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj3PWxgekcBIYzAa0fPYNs3cFilofRrvimapliM pVZ3Rkpg_sC7BTP2p8jSiPOZikn_aiXJqf1r1gorifEluTvDiL SlXC0kjBe92LQQLmyIwtkeuF9nm65alOp4-Ea_CMMqhfE4&sig=AHIEtbQo47iwQmO3PJaRBwnoB8Oz7wqhFQ

Yes, commercial overfishing, and ocean pollution has taken it's toll on fish populations for decades. Certain countries, Japan and Russia come to mind, generally ignore international agreements, making the problem even worse.

wildthing
03-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes, commercial overfishing, and ocean pollution has taken it's toll on fish populations for decades. Certain countries, Japan and Russia come to mind, generally ignore international agreements, making the problem even worse.

There won;t be any need to ban angling as there won't be any fish left to catch anyway
:(

akumastew
03-11-2010, 09:44 PM
There won;t be any need to ban angling as there won't be any fish left to catch anyway

I didn't have time to look through the whole document, but the initial numbers make it look like only 25% are being fished at unsustainable levels.

If we really are going to run out of fish, surely this number would be higher?

- Stew

wildthing
03-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I didn't have time to look through the whole document, but the initial numbers make it look like only 25% are being fished at unsustainable levels.

If we really are going to run out of fish, surely this number would be higher?

- Stew

and then you look at what species are most threatened....
everything that tastes good.....
and no-one is overfishing urchins and anenomies or guppies
:)

akumastew
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
It is funny, that some fish that have a range from

Full exploited to depleted.

Full exploited = at optimal levels with little room for more fishing

Depleted = Catches are well below historical levels, irrespective of the amount of fishing effort.

Seems like these 2 conditions should not co-exist.

brewmaster15
03-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Theres a major flaw with these data sets that track species populations and try to gauge their stability and declines..... and thats where alot of people make the erroneous conclusion that extinction is when the last member of a species disappears... and its not in practical terms.

Every species has a threshold that once the population drops below...its doomed to extinction. Its different for every species and has alot to do with their habitat.. ..and as humans watching ...we really have no way to know what that level is..until that proverbial last one is gone.

I remember a discussion we had in my Ornthology class in College many moons ago and we were talking about passenger Pigeons.. When America was first settled this bird was probably the most numerous bird there was ... It was a convenient food source and it was used to its limits..they shot those birds continuous for years, barrel after barrel upwards to 50,000 a day or more.........by the time legislation was passed ...there were too few of them to survive and re-populate...

You can read this sad tale here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Pigeon

Its a story that I think directly applies to what we are currently doing to our Oceans... we would have a far better world if we could just learn from the past...

-al

wildthing
03-15-2010, 12:32 PM
learn from the past or be doomed to repeat it!

akumastew
03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
That is a sad story.

Darrell Ward
03-17-2010, 09:58 PM
For what it's worth, I just learned ESPN has issued a retraction on this "ban on fishing" story. Turns out, it was just more political propaganda.

scottthomas
03-22-2010, 10:31 PM

Yeah ESPN is the leader of far right wing conspiracy political news stories and propoganda. They finally thought of something to counter the Bush knew about 911 and Bush hates people in Louisiana and so blew up the levies stories.:D

whitedevil
03-23-2010, 10:42 AM
This will never happen, the sport fishing industry will not allow it and we sportsmen fund ALOT of legal stuff just by buying a lure or a package of LEAD weights(portion goes to non toxic development)

The most this will do is outlaw lead based materials used for fishing, weights lures ect for conservation, canada has already banned lead use for hunting and fishing equipment.