PDA

View Full Version : fx5

swank
03-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Just received the FX5, damn it's like a five gallon bucket. My question is, how would you teir the baskets? use what in what order bottum up? I guess I dont need to us carbon, but I do have some peat...

Chad Hughes
03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
My FX 5 is packed full of ceramic rings. That is all.

Best wishes!

swank
03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I also have an ac70 over flow. Just use plain filter in that then?

Chad Hughes
03-10-2010, 06:58 PM
I've never used an HOB, so not too sure about it.

My take on filters is this.... You need to provide as much surface area as possible for bacteria to proliferate. Some people add carbon and a bunch of other "disposable" media to their filters and in time, they have to replace that media. Using a durable material such as ceramics or matala that gives a lot of surface area is great and stays in place. All you do is rinse it from time to time.

I have heard that people get better water clarity using polishing pads and whatnot and I have tried them. All I can say is that the pads clog up and need changed very frequently. As for clarity, I didn't notice much of a difference without them.

Hope that helps!

MikeF
03-11-2010, 11:41 AM
All I use in my fluval fx5 are the sponges, ceramic rings, and I do use the polishing pads. Not sure if they make a difference or not, but I know that they trap some of the other food particles that get by the other ares. I may not use them the next time, and see what happens.